Starting a tribe in the forrest

Discussion in 'High Ideas' started by bakedasacookie, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Sounds pretty shitty to me.

2. ballin:cool:

3. spent the last weekend at a retreat/workshop surrounded by redwoods..
    gotta say that i loved it and i could see myself living in that type of environment...
    it was wifi compatible too:laughing:

its all about balance and comes down to how we want to relate ourselves to the societal context we live in

play the game how you want

4. :laughing:

5. [quote name='"nchomer"']I wish life were like this because im tired of this bullshit society. I want to actually be free[/quote]

Me and a friend were talking about this today. We would be so free. Like Tarzan. Just you and nature. That would be the life... Pipe dreams...

6. What you mean some people have tried it but it didn't work for them, ok it must be impossible I don't know what I was thinking.

Mankind wouldn't be here today if we couldn't live in wilderness, we all have ancestors that pulled this off. The key point of my post was that you have to choose the right location.

Jeez so many people in this thread are just crying to crush peoples living in wilderness dreams. Insecure societies don't like people exiting.

7. It's not that the work necessary to survive in a small group of people can't be done...obviously it can....it's just that you can't convince the necessary number of people to do it for very long once they have experienced other forms of life. This holds true for communes and for the tribal communities that have still only recently been "contacted" in places like Papua New Guinea and various pockets of South America. Once you realize that you don't have to get by making and doing everything for yourself, you get sucked into the global economy in one way or another.

8. Yeah I'll accept that point. But if you have a group of people from modern society that all want to live this way even after living with relative ease, maybe spiritual people who love nature and meditation for example or other people who only ever experienced sadness and frustration in regular society or people like me who do lots of psychedelics and cant stand the way modern society is but feel an immense connection to the source of life when in nature. I feel these sort of people could pull it off.

Sure you might get sick of it after half a year maybe even a year but that doesn't make it a failure it was an experiment and an experience and not many people can say they have done that. On the other hand you might find your reality has vastly improved and you may want to stay there permanently.

It's definitely possible though which is the point I'm trying to get across, no need to be like "No you can't do it!" which a lot of people in this thread have been like.

9. they key is to build up food reserves, why not take a tonne of hemp seeds? that's 2000 days of food. water can we boiled/distilled so no major problem there after getting established.

10. Well, in the cases of the communes...it has been exactly these sorts of people lol...

Fo sho. That's more or less what I said in my first post here. I think it would be a great experience, and I'd love to try such a thing, but to act like you're just gonna peace out one day and never return to society seems a bit naive (and, on a philosophical note, misguided...but that's a whole different discussion.)

11. #52 didier12, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2012
    Where exactly do you guys get the information for all these failed mini nature communes? I wouldn't even know where to start to acquire such information. I mean how would the media know when 8 people go and decide to live in the woods or something like that.

I did find this good article though about commune success stories in America that have lasted decades not sure if it's the exact communes we're discussing but it shows that it is possible. Hippie Communes Live On - ABC News

12. Get your tent and sleeping bag, leave your phone at home and go primitive camping for a week, even bring a couple gallons of water and some canned food. Try to hunt and gather as much as possible, and find a clean source or water, After you get back, come post here and tell us how wonderful it was.....

13. Not hard to find info on this. There were back to the land communes all over the more temperate areas of the US in the late 60s and thru the 70s. Check archives for "The Mother Earth News" lots and lots of info there...

14. There are many examples, historically. One of the most famous, Brook Farm, I already mentioned in this thread. Here is a good list to get you started. Here is a good article to read, if you have JSTOR access (unfortunately I do not at the moment or I'd give it to you.) Here is a relatively recent documentary about one failed commune (I believe the movie is still on Netflix too...along with a few other documentaries in this vein.) A quick google search for anything like "intentional community," "commune," "utopian community," etc. will easily yield many more examples.

I don't know how much stock to put in that ABC article. I have no doubt that some of the communes started in the 60's and 70's were relatively successful and still continue on (in some form) today, but the sources they're interviewing there are trying to make it seem like this was the rule and not the exception. I find it very hard to believe that this is the case. Even growing up in the middle of the Mojave desert (literally the last place on the planet anyone should think about trying to survive off the land lmao,) I knew of numerous local attempts at communes that had failed. Some of the "ruins" still exist not too far off of the 14 lol.

15. Ah ok, well I would still assume that most people who do this don't tell the media or anyone, I'd say at least 80% of people who go and start a tribe we don't have any information about.

But yeah there are a lot of failed communes and there are also communes that are successful so yeah. Now we can stop the It's impossible posts on this thread. Thanks for the info btw guys ^^

16. ITS CALLED A FARM! you can do what you want when you want how you want just need about 2000 acres of land and a few million

17. #58 oceansgreen, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2012
    well to find liberty, you may or may not have trouble but for the whole living in the forest substainably ideas, you can check into permaculture and intentional communities, int.communities are sorta self-explanatory but permaculture is gonna be all aobut how to design everything from home to food supply to grow itself and expose you to less toxins than other methods, if you can find a virgin piece of land it keeps out a large amount of toxins found in air, rain and ground water... hope it helps a bit

EDIT: and to start this farm, you dont need 2000 acres and a million... lol