starting a seedling in dwc

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by ammar, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Hi,
    I have a dwc setup but don't have Rockwool to start, can I use a small cup of soil or coco to start then transplant onto the pebbles?

2. why can't you get some rock wool?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yes you can, coco is the better choice here, one thing to remember is the soil roots are different than hydro roots so give your plants time to transition there roots after transplanting to dwc.

• Like Like x 1
  4. No. Get rockwool when starting seedlings and then going into dwc

• Like Like x 1
  5. Do I wash off the coco before transplanting?

6. It takes 2 weeks to get here and I cannot find locally

7. Rapid Rooters work better than rockwool.
    If you have a nearby nursery they might have some, or be able to advise you on something they do have.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. you could just wait 2 weeks?

thats what I would do personally.

I have always had really great success with rock wool, I know A LOT of people say they have issues with them. I've never experienced any. its always been smooth.

good luck

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Rapid Rooters.

• Like Like x 1
  10. The question was "could seedlings be transplated from soul or coco to dwc and the correct answer is yes, rockwool and seed starters are better but isnt necessary.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I'm sure some will disagree with me but I use jiffy starters and when I go to the clay pellets I just cut down one side to let it grow so it don't choke out the plant. I've used this method several time with good success.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rapid Rooters for 3-7 days so roots get nice and long, then into the netcups and a full res

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Yeah rapid rooters for the win. I use 4 inch cubes but start them in rr for the first 5 or so days to root up then into the cubes. I find its a bit tough for new seedlings and the rr just give them an easier start. Dont have to piss about cleaning them iether.
    I also use cultylene instead of rockwool as that seems to also be a bit better for root development from my own findings.

Could use coco if you want but theres a fairly high chance of potentially drastic root damage when you wash it off. I have seen someone do it succesfully but only the 1 that ive noticed. its not something id advise really.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I use coco to start my DWC seeds. Once it’s abound ground I put them in the reservoir and wait. Once the roots touch water it’s game on.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

15. Yes you can,
    be sure to carefully wash all the substrate off the roots when you transplant to your dwc.
    You dont really want to be contaminating that as it will cause problems.

Someone will probably complain what I'm gonna say next, probably the same person that thinks you "Can't" use anything except rockwool.... but...

I had always gone from damp toilet paper germination straight into the dwc net pot, then used a little perlite on top of the pebbles to give support to the seedling until the roots took hold!

Then I changed to using a damp cotton wool ball to germinate and then just moved the whole ball and seedling into the dwc pebbles.

Had zero issue with both methods, though the first method you need to be very careful not to damage the seedling whilst moving it naked so to speak.

As long as your dwc has been running for a day or so before dropping the seedling in and the pebbles are damp... Nature does its thing!
    Roots go down, leaves go up (unless your in Austrailia )

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk