Starting a pro-cannabis blog/organization/news outlet... first blog

Discussion in 'General' started by DoctorofRock, Apr 13, 2009.

1. #1 DoctorofRock, Apr 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2009
    Hey all I'm starting a pro-cannabis blog/news outlet/organization with a few buddies of mine. We've been working on our site for a week or so. I just wanted to share some of the original content with you and get some opinions! :smoking::smoking:

Americans everywhere are beginning to wake up to the reality of our failed drug policy, with non-profit organizations such as the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML) and Marijuana Policy Project (MPP) gaining more of a support base every day. Assembly Bill 390 in California, along with House Bill 2929 and Senate Bill 1801 in Massachusetts seek to eliminate the ineffective anti-pot laws and replace them with a sensible, responsible policy to tax and regular marijuana like alcohol (1) . All of this progress, however, and yet the federal government still disregards logic when dealing with the failed drug war.

Yesterday, I turned 21 years old. It is said to be a “red-letter birthday”, signifying the day that one truly becomes an adult, and of course, legally old enough to purchase and consume alcohol. I went out, got myself a few beers, and got a little bit tipsy, as is expected in this great country we call America. Alcohol had suddenly shifted, as far as society is concerned, from “illegal, dangerous, and problematic” to “glorified, celebratory, and socially acceptable”, literally overnight. It wasn’t long after I had enjoyed my beverages, however, that I was enjoying vomiting on the floor next to my bed, soaking not only the carpet, but also my shoes, remote, and laptop case. The next morning I awoke, feeling groggy and like I had a weak stomach. However, I had errands to run, and my post-celebratory condition wasn’t going to slow me down… or so I thought. On the way home from completing my tasks, I was overtaken with the uncontrollable urge to vomit. I pulled off to the side of the road as quickly as possible, and began to spew half-digested spaghetti from the night before out of my nostrils. Amazing. I have proven my adulthood with a dangerous and intoxicating poison.

Now, let’s assume that when I turned 21, I was legally able to purchase and consume cannabis. I likely would have gone out, paid for a bud, invited some friends over, and smoked. I might have gotten hungry, thus forcing me to order a pizza and leaving me feeling remorseful that I ate the entire thing by myself. I might have laughed. Hell, I might have laughed a lot. I likely would have enjoyed my night, spared the vomit and the hangover, and feel like a new and improved 21 year old man… all while posing less risk to my health and well-being.

So, why is alcohol so acceptable socially, yet marijuana is demonized by the federal government as “harmful, dangerous, and irresponsible”? I’d give you an answer if I had one, and I’m sure the federal government would as well. Or, would they? White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs couldn’t seem to find an intelligible answer either. America, it’s time to wake up! Yes, supporting legislation that will establish a responsible marijuana and drug policy goes a long way, but before doing that, we must realize the flaws in the American political system that led to the criminalization in the first place.

(1) NORML Blog » Blog Archive » NORML Breaking News: Marijuana Legalization Bills Introduced In Massachusetts!