Starting a new world?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by huntr, Sep 4, 2011.

1. So I got a question,is it possible to move to another planet? EX:let's say some highly trained,tech,science,construction,gardeners(oxygen support.....and bud of course lol) etc astronauts went to Jupiter and build a like giant big auditorium to start from there to build more and more! .....get me?

I think it's possible!

2. Jupiter doesn't have SHIT! Why the fuck would we want to move there? where would they get water from?

3. Better yet where the fuck would you build the base? Jupiter is a gas planet, didn't you guys have science class?

4. #4 Netherrip, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2011
    Resources man. Doesn't matter if you have the Justice League working for you, if you don't have the resources and the transportation you need you aren't going to get far.

5. I think Jupiter was just an example for the point he was trying to get across..

But yeah I definitely think we'll see the technology to colonize on other planets within say 1,000 years or so if not sooner. It'll take tons of work having to transport it all but it's definitely possible.

6. I've googled that some researchers says that there's some water on the moon!

But no evidence ive researched yet, only if the future invented some type of machine that could support life in space,besides the air suits!

7. we'll just end up terraforming mars. no need for special buildings to live in to escape the harsh environment. We'll just make it like earth.

8. Even if we could move and find an inhabitable planet, we'd just end up fucking everything up due to greed for power and luxury.

9. Get a hair cut, hippie..

Once we're able to move freely out of our solar system, we'll be able to find planets that wont need terraformed. Might have to fuck up the current leading species :devious:

There are a LOT of planets out there, finding multiple, suitable planets will be easy if we have the proper means of travel. Those that were terraformed will probably end up like those old mining towns..

10. the short answer is yes, its possible.

the long answer is no, people dont want to pay for it

11. #11 Magiggle, Sep 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    They just have to make a dome with the same concept and breathing/pressure systems

12. #12 SpaceGuru, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2011
    I sure hope we can. I was burning with a few friends and we got to talking about this stuff, how we have to leave eventually. I was thinking how weird it'd be if we never discovered any quick methods for space travel and a large group of us embarked on a huge, several generation long trip to another planet. Being born and dying in some project floating through space, being taught of a past on this beautiful round place called Earth and an uncertain future on a new planet, all for the survival of humanity. Idk, it's an interesting subject though; humanity's future in space that is.

13. here is another way of looking at it.

earth wont be here forever. many people have different theories on when the earths life will end, but one thing is for sure, if all else fails the sun will eat the earth.

humans need to make space colonization a priority if we dont want to become extinct.

14. Easy, just terraform Mars.

15. mars is smaller than earth, and presumably has less recources as well. when we terraform it, it will probly never be as bioactive as earth is now.

inhabiting mars may double our population cap, but we will fill it up fast. we need to go further. we need to learn how to live in space. not on planets, but in giant stations designed perfectly for the best possible life.

16. Or we could put giant thrusters of some sort on earth and just fly wherever we want.

17. if only it were that easy, there is such a thing as radiation and cosmic rays, dying stars, black holes, and Mars seems the only logical planet to inhabit

18. that solves the problem of the sun getting bigger, but we need space for population. if we limit ourselves to the surface of planets, we are not using the vastenest of space to our advantage

19. Mars would only be a pit stop. Once we're able to move freely in space, there is no reason really. There are so many planets out there, there's probably a few nearby that we won't have to terraform.

Mars would be a good place to work on if we never find a way to leave our solar system.. But the Moon would come first. Mars only has like 18 million square kilometers surface area that the Moon, that's about the size of Russia. The world could move to the Moon and leave Russia behind :)

20. I'm pretty sure the earth can hold another 20-50 billion people with the proper infrastructure, if not more. You're going to be limited by space on a planet or spaceship regardless.