Starting a new grow

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by TheGreenGreek, Oct 12, 2018.

1. #1 TheGreenGreek, Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    Currently starting a new grow using Dutch Passion Mazar Afghan Kush Femanized. Purchased from Attitude Seeds and received them 10 days after placing the order. My first grow was RDWC, but because I ordered normal seeds, out of the 5, 2 were duds and the other 3 ended up being males. Instead of sticking with Hydro, I decided to upgrade my grow space from a 4x2x6 to a 4x4x7. What a difference 2 feet makes. Anyways, I went down to my local gardening store, and low and behold. On sale, Coast of Main Compost for $7 a bag, then bought some Peat Moss and Perlite. Went with a 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 mix. Its is airy, yet holds moisture very well, I am happy about the mix. I plan on using GH Flora series nutrients. But of course I will not need to start them until at least 3-4 weeks since the soil has plenty of nutrients to last from seedling into early veg.

At first I started with Viparspectra Blurple "1200 watt"(draws 240w from the outlet) LED's, and even though they are good for vegging, I have done enough research to know they are not good for flowering if you want max yield and density. So I decided to go with TimberGrow COB 3VL series fixtures. Let me tell you how great the quality of the parts and build is. I just ordered a second set of light since I upgraded grow spaces and need the coverage. Also, using a 4" inline duct cage blower with carbon filter as you can see, along with a couple of clip-on desk fans to keep the heatsinks cool(top right of the tent photo). I do plan to add another fan later once the seedling really root themselves in. Both pots are 24 Gallons with drain holes. Let me know what you think. Any and all feedback, opinions and idea's are welcome here. Let me know what you think.

IMG_4508.JPG IMG_4537.jpg

2. #2 Taoist Farmer, Oct 13, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    IMO you should add the following amendments to your soil mix, and then ditch the GH nutrients:
    This is per cubic foot of soil.
    1 cup kelp meal
    1 cup fish meal (edible grade)
    1 cup basalt rock dust
    1 cup pacific pearl oyster shell flour
    1 cup fish bone meal
    and mulch
    this would be the minimum, other amendments would be neem seed meal, crab shell meal, gypsum, alfalfa meal, and worm castings

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Agree with above poster. If adding bottled or chemical nutes, might as well use a hydro medium to get the benefits. If you want clean organics, add the amendments listed, plus alfalfa meal, crab shell meal, neem seed meal, malted barley extract (dialectic) and some glacial rock dust. This mix will be water only throughout the entire grow, and by adding some bennies (Recharge, Great White, Mykos, etc) you will continue to feed the soil. I grow both extremes. DTW coco provides the yield and potency, organics provide the clean medicine.

• Like Like x 2
  4. No you can still use them. Just not ideal. I’m all about maximum potential. If I’m going to invest 3 months of my life babying these girls, I want them to be the best they can be. You can grow weed with diluted urine, in dirt from the playground, in solo cups. But knowing there’s better ways, why would you?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. I have these left over from my DWC grow. I didn't want them to go to waste. Did you check on that soil that i linked? Its what I am using.

6. You will do fine. There is some nutrition in the soil. Ph 6.5 water only for first 3-4 weeks. If you notice deficiency, start feeding sooner at 1/4 strength. Otherwise feed 1/4-1/2 recommended dose through the end. Add a pk boost at mid flower to flush.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I was told the General Hydroponics line was good for soil and hydro. I know my soil is good. Coast of Maine is top shelf product from what I have read.

8. Let me clarify. Your nutrients will work fine in the soil. I was just saying that the real benefit to soil is the ability to grow organically.
    If you want to use chemical nutes, there are other mediums (hempy, coco, peat, dwc) that will provide faster growth, and bigger more potent buds than soil.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mind if I watch too?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. IMG_4544.JPG We have life!!!! Day 1 has started.

• Like Like x 1
  11. You can follow as I will be updating this thread on a regular schedule as I progress.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. In the mean time, if anyone has any questions or additional opinions/tips/tricks they would like to add, I am open minded to any and all suggestions.

13. Losing $100 bucks is a small price to pay to have organic cannabis. Not to mention being able to reuse your soil grow after grow.

Organics can yield every bit as much as hydro...if not more. pHing will likely be a thing of the past and you will spend pennies on the dollar compared to hydro. Look into No Till gardening.
    RD

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dirt won’t yield more than hydro. It will be cleaner and may have more terpenes though. Organic just can’t compete with hydro for the yield and potency. That’s the trade off

15. You are promoting a myth that I first heard in 1999. More potency is utterly hysterical and not even myth worthy. Perhaps you just need a lil more time under your belt as an organic gardener?
    RD IMG_20181004_115337865.jpg IMG_20180625_113714_905.jpg IMG_20180514_152806_907.jpg

Sent from my XT1609 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. I would not toss the GH nutrients, while it is true that the match up of the flora series with soil is not perfect it is still good and will work fine. Yes GH flora series works well in soil next time I would recommend their Nova series. It is also true that hydro will beat soil for yields but that has little to do with nutrients and more to do feed regimens.