starting a new 600w HPS - grow, advice?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by 420Sm0keWeed, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Hello fellow growers , i have been vegging 2 plants under 4 cfls just for shit and gigs, and thethere growing really healthy and a buddy of mine offered me 600w HPS so i decided im gunna start my own grow ! So ill be vegging and flowering with the 600w HPS , i know thisthis isn't the BEST way but my buddy used to use this method, worked great for him! So im just wondering basically essenails i need to produce a decent yield and nice bud, air flow, nutrients etc.. thanks guys !

2. With a 600w, make sure you have proper ventilation in your grow area. If you're growing in a small closet or tent, it will easily get above 100F in no time. Without knowing much about your space it's hard to give suitable recommendations except to say ventilation ventilation ventilation. ;) Peronsally, I love the cool tubes or hoods for removing excess light heat.

Also, you will notice significant improvements if you get a MH bulb for veg. If you have a non-switchable ballast get a MH-conversion bulb. If the ballast will ignite either, just get a plain MH bulb. Generic MH bulbs can be as low as 20-30$ and the investment will pay for itself at the end.

3. Ya I heard ventilation was a hugeee thing ! that's my only worry about growing in my basement room with no windows, im not sure how im gunna do this Haha

4. And is there a major difference between vegging with mh as to HPS ?

5. Vegging with MH will give closer internodal spaces, meaning the plants won't stretch as much during and you'll get more leaf matter in a smaller area. I've read from other more experienced folk that the MH gives off more lumens that the plant can actually use for photosynthesis than HPS does, although HPS is still the preferred light for flower.