Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Starting a large medical garden

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by AlaskaGrown1991, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Hi everyone,

I'm looking for advice on how to start a large medical garden in any cannabis friendly state. I've been growing for personal use for a long time now and I'd like to turn my hobby in to a career. I have a vast amount of resources, start up funds, legal assistance and business assistance are not issues at all and I would not be alone in this venture. I'm mainly looking for information in regards to legality and production restrictions in different states, and any information would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also looking for advice on issues I might run into running a large indoor garden as opposed to a small home garden. Things like heat issues, getting maximum light efficiency, etc. What were talking about right now is looking into finding some warehouse space or something similar.

I'm just researching right now and trying to figure out the feasibility of doing this, this isn't something I'd actually start up for at least another two years so I'm really just looking for any useful info people can give me, as well as a place to start. Of course everything would have to be completely legal and above board, as this would have to be a legitimate business if we're going to go ahead and do it.

Many thanks!

2. #2 Scribbles510, Jun 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2013
    My advice? Don't do it. You have no idea what the industry is even going to look like in 2 years. Way too much instability. On top of that, if you want to make it a career, you're gonna have to constantly watch for the FEDs. Not worth it imo

3. Go to one of those states and ask guys in the dispensaries. I'm sure they'd be happy to let you know. And I'm sure you know, but to make clear, no matter how legal it may be in the eyes of the state, the feds will always consider it illegal. I think its definetely possible, especially if you have a lot of cash, cause no ones giving you a loan for that shit.

4. These are good points especially when it comes to market instability. If anyone's going to figure that side of things out it's going to be my potential business partner. He's a lawyer with lot's of experience helping people start small businesses, I'm just his buddy who grows.

5. <div>What you want is a commercial growing business. In some states, like Washington and Colorado, you have to decide whether to be on the medical or recreation-use sides of the industry. They each have their advantages and disadvantages. The medical side is usually cheaper to startup and run since the licensing fees are minimal. But you'll only be able to serve state-qualified patients, so it may limit your customer pool a bit. On the recreational side, the opposite is true: the licensing fees are extremely, sometimes prohibitively expensive. But, your customer pool will be much bigger since it will be anyone over a certain age range that is a potential customer. 

</div><blockquote><div>Right now the best states are California, Oregon, and Washington.<span> They are the easiest to get started in, don't have really high licensing fees, and don't have weird residency requirements - Colorado and Arizona, for instance, you have to be a resident for 3-5 years before you can join the marijuana industries.

If you want to venture into this type of business, you'll need proper documentation, incorporation, licenses and permits and follow the requirements and procedures detailed by the state, county and city regulatory departments. They can and usually will be different for every location, since you basically have 3 departments with the ability to supplement the state regulations. Like any business, you should be incorporated so your personal assets can be protected and ensure that you've setup and are running your business to the exact letter of the law.</span>

</div></blockquote><blockquote><div>
    <span>Depending on the state you prefer (outside of the 3 mentioned above), you could be looking at anywhere from $250k upwards of $1M to get setup. We always recommend the 3 states above because their fees aresubstantially smaller than any other state in the country right now. In some cases, you can get started for as little as $10k.</span>

</div></blockquote><blockquote><div><div>
    Hopefully that gives you a good understanding to start from. If you'd like more specific help or have any questions. Let me know. This is exactly my field of expertise. :)

</div></div></blockquote>

6. #6 CL4P-TP, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2013
    ^^^^ huh? Oregon??^^^^^

Sorry but we don't even have legal dispensaries........

Yet.

EDIT/Add on.

There is no legal way to make a living growing grass in Oregon. Only reimbursement of overhead, labor not included(you work for free) is allowed. And if you get really technical about it, you cant even accept money, only have em pay the bills for you.