Starting a garden.

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by bonesaw27, Sep 6, 2011.

1. I recently started growing herb indoors in soil and now absolutely want to start a garden outside for fresh veggies and herbs. Is ant time a good time to start an outdoor garden for tomatoes, various squashes, and peppers, etc? Thanks in advance for any advice and or tips.:D

2. what region do you live?

i live in mississippi and i start my tomatos and other veggies in april...

i'm growing a couple different basil plants outside and they are doing great. im new with herbs so i can't give out any advice ...

3. I live in SoCal area. When do they finish when u start in April?

4. it just depends on what i'm growing...

i have okra that is still putting off some a lil bit. my peas and my beans quit putting off about a month ago. my area has hit its hottest time of year with temps as high as 105 in mississippi heat. it burned my beans and peas up.

i would think with ur weather, u would be able to grow veggies for a good lil while.

5. Cool, thanks for the info:D

6. #6 TexRx, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2011
    I'm pretty sure there's a few things you can grow in the fall....but you prolly need to get started right away

We have a fall growing season in Texas but I'm not really sure what's on the list ~ I specialize in native plants, not crops/herbs

Try an online search for fall crops/herbs in So. Cal

You can also find info in books ~ for example, I found a book in the Texas section at Barnes & Noble that has a section that lists some crops/herbs that grow where I am located

:)

7. Hey thats a great idea. thanks a bunch

8. Pests in your garden are just that pests. Unwanted insects can eat and destroy their crops, a frustration for any farmer or gardener.
    Organic gardening is a means of controlling pests naturally, without the dangerous chemical pesticides. There are many ways to control garden pests naturally, which are also cheap, easy and good for the earth.

9. I agree 100%. Definitely will b growing everything organically:hello:

10. Thank you!

11. this is true I will be out in mine starting the winter crops, not in SoCal though.

Check this out, it is a map of the growing zones, most seed packs come with instructions on how and when to plant based on zones. Me and the lady use this to help set up the seed binder, and planning the garden. where you are at I would guess that you could prob. be pulling produce of some kind all year long. Good luck!

12. This. I go by the seed packs.

13. #14 orellej, Sep 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2011
    a good thing to use for pests are beneficial nematodes. they kill off pests when they are still larvae, hunt them down and eat them. excellent way of controlling cutworms, grubs, beetles, ants etc. and the leave earthworms and beneficial insect larvae alone. adding lady bugs and other good bugs will really clean out the pests. just research and find what attracts the good bugs, plant those plants and you have natural control. attracting birds is another organic way of bug control. put up bird houses. a pair of nesting sparrows will catch and eat many thousands of insects each day plus they also eat the larvae. j

14. Love all the input:hello: In the process of clearing my backyard...

15. Yes, definitely look into companion planting.