Starting a closet grow. A few quick questions.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Jeffro248, Dec 4, 2011.

1. #1 Jeffro248, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2011
    Hey guys and gals.

First post here.

Ive done A LOT of researching and reading here on Grasscity. This place rules. :hello:

So about a week ago this idea "poped" into my head, about growing because I have a very stealth spot in my closet about 4x4x8, maybe a little more, hidden door and everything. it has good access to the attic for vents and electrical. I have never attempted to grow anything but trees and flowers outside. I hardly smoke any more (this will probably change tho), I just think this would be a cool hobby. Anyways I have a few details that I want to make sure are right. My plan is to have 4 or 5 plants in this space, with florescent lighting . Here are some questions.

• I haven't read many threads about people using florescent tubes. Would it be a good idea to use a 4 light 48" fixture in this space with mirrors strategically placed to reflect light onto the sides. I would like to eventually move to HPS but I get an awesome discount from a home improvement store and they don't have the HPS stuff.

• When checking ph do you check the water runout from the bottom after you water.

• I plan to do some LST on the girls. Can I also use a small SCROG with plants that have been LST'd and does this make sense (more yeild)? I was thinking maybe I should only do 4 plants if I use a SCROG.

• Can you veg the plants as long as you want to, (to fill the scrog).

I think that's about it for now.
    Ill update when I think of more questions.

Thanks everyone for reading and answering these questions.

Jeffro

2. [quote name='"Jeffro248"']Hey guys and gals.

First post here.

Ive done A LOT of researching and reading here on Grasscity. This place rules. :hello:

So about a week ago this idea "poped" into my head, about growing because I have a very stealth spot in my closet about 4x4x8, maybe a little more, hidden door and everything. it has good access to the attic for vents and electrical. I have never attempted to grow anything but trees and flowers outside. I hardly smoke any more (this will probably change tho), I just think this would be a cool hobby. Anyways I have a few details that I want to make sure are right. My plan is to have 4 or 5 plants in this space, with florescent lighting . Here are some questions.

[*]I haven't read many threads about people using florescent tubes. Would it be a good idea to use a 4 light 48" fixture in this space with mirrors strategically placed to reflect light onto the sides. I would like to eventually move to HPS but I get an awesome discount from a home improvement store and they don't have the HPS stuff.

[*]When checking ph do you check the water runout from the bottom after you water.

[*]I plan to do some LST on the girls. Can I also use a small SCROG with plants that have been LST'd and does this make sense (more yeild)? I was thinking maybe I should only do 4 plants if I use a SCROG.

[*]Can you veg the plants as long as you want to, (to fill the scrog).

I think that's about it for now.
    Ill update when I think of more questions.

Thanks everyone for reading and answering these questions.

Jeffro[/quote]

1.You can use floro's for flower, but bottom line, you won't yield much and won't be happy. Perfect for veg though. Get a 400hps, 600 preferably.

2. Yes. Check the ph of the mix before you feed, adjust if needed. Then check runoff.

3.Yes again. It will probably help you if you do scrog to tie her over at least once.

4.Yes.

3. Thanks for the reply.

I've been thinking and I definitely want to get a hps system. Also I want to just do som.e lst and get maybe 6 plants in there. Ill try to scrog maybe on the next grow. Just need to learn the basics first and don't want to wait forever vegging.

4. #4 Budz23, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2011
    No prob man. Just remember, even with hid lighting, you still don't want any less than 50w per plant at the extreme minimum. I.e. 100w light=2 plants MAX! I always try for no less than 75-100w per plant. Cramming more plants in a grow room does not increase your yield what so ever if you don't have enough light for them to thrive. It actually has to opposite effect and you will get less bud per plant. How many watts to you plan on going with your hps?

And one other thing, scrap the using mirror's idea. Mirrors don't work for shit. Your way better off painting the walls with a glossy white paint than using mirrors. Seriously, don't do it.