Starting 1St Indoor Grow, Need Advice

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Synyster0420, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Hi so i wanna grow two plants in a 4x5x2 area. And keep them just under the 5ft to get as much as i can. Its a closet so there are three walls. My ultimate question is : How many CFL lights do i need? And which kind? A link to ones would be great. Trying to keep everything as cheap as i can though, thats why im wanting CFL's. I know veg state require 5000k and flowering 2700k , links to both of those i would need would be great. And being as how there are three walls (in front and 2 sides) would it be okay to mount the lights on each wall? Or do they need to hang directly over them? Really im just clueless on my light situation with how many to use and how to use them efficiently for two plants in that small of a space. Im gonna be starting them in Jiffy pots and then putting them in 5 gallon buckets. So that would already fill up a couple feet of the height , so either way the lights go, how far away do they need to be from the plants? Answers to these questions would be great ! And any other advice! Thanks! :)

2. #4 lotek590, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2014
    for fluoro go to 1000bulbs.com they have fantastic customer service. search their site for 200 watt grow lights. That's what you need. You can buy a hydro farm hood and veg bulb for about $100. And there is a company there, I forget the name, it is something like maxlite, that sells a 2700k flower bulb for about $60. Their packing is incredible. They give you a reusable tube that you can use to store your veg light in and toss in a drawer with no fear of breaking (as they are very fragile bulbs)

If heat is not an issue, also check out a 400 watt hid they are selling now on ebay for $100. Hood, ballast, and 2 bulbs, your choice mh or hps. .

I have the 200 watt fluorescent. It's perfect for one plant. The best light money can buy. In my opinion two plants is pushing it.

otherwise, the best grower I know just uses one 250 watt mh (no hps) for two plants. Couldn't tell you where the best deal is on a 250 w mh. But keep in mind, he has very sophisticated intake and outblow circulation in his very small grow rooms. His whole upstairs looks like the international space station with all the duct work.

3. #5 Bongsauce, Sep 22, 2014
    I'd recommend a 400w hps for that sized area.

If you run with cfl though...you won't get buds much further then 8-10 inches from the bulbs. Keep em short and bushy...look into LST and scrog.. If you grow a 4 foot plant under cfls you'll end up with 3 feet of stems with about a foot of buds up top...kinda a waste of time/space. You're much better off growing them only slightly taller then the light can penetrate...in the case of cfls 8-10"   Don't get me wrong I've flowered plenty of buds under cfls...but it needs to be done right or you'll waste alot of time growing stems.

4. 5 gallon pots why?

5. #8 Bongsauce, Sep 22, 2014
    think of it as the amount of light per square foot. You need a certain amount to get good results...from there you can fit 1 big plant or 10 little plants...whatever ya wanna do.

your area is 4 feet wide x 2 feet deep right?  you have 8 square feet ...with cfls you want about 100w per square foot for good results. For HPS you want about 50w psf. Always look at the actual wattage not the equivalent. the bulbs you linked are 42w each...

btw those are daylight bulbs you linked...great for vegging, but for flower you want to switch to 2300k or whatever number warm white is.

...also not I'm a fan of hanging cfl bulbs...way too easy for them to break..plus most of the light comes out the sides of the bulb. Alot of people use either multi bulb bathroom vanity fixtures or powerstrips with plugin adapters. Or you can jsut wire some cleats(sockets) yourself and attach them to a fixed ceiling.

6. Its 4ft length, 2 ft wide , and 5ft in height , its a closet that has a metal rack across it with a good 3-4 ft of height from the rack to the ceiling, im only using the measurements for the lower half , which is 4x2x5   actual demensions is something like 8-10ft tall , 4ft length 2ft width. The light above the plants wont be on the ceiling, it will be on that rack to suit the 5ft height. So what youre saying is the bulbs i linked at 42 watts each, i would need 19 lights for just two plants @ 8sqf going by 100 watt per sqf?? That seems like overkill

7. lol that does seem like overkill that's why I recommended hps. You can still grow under much less wattage..but you'll only get buds under the lights. You'll have dark corners and edges that will produce fluffy buds...I'm just saying 100w psf is how much you'd need to cover the entire area to the max. Each bulb will only cover a certain amount of area...if you use alot less wattage, then just use less of the closet. :)