Starter Piece

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by DMWest, Apr 3, 2013.

1. I'm new to the forum and to smoking in general and I had a basic question. The first time I smoked (last year) it was out of a friend's glass spoon. It was easy, I had no problems, and the spoon was cute. I'm female, what can I say?

Anyway, nothing happened and I was disappointed.

So a year after that I went to the same friend's house and they had a bong. The bong, I have to say, it was pretty but....weird. The smoke was hot and it kind of made my throat scratchy (they said they forgot to put ice in it, they are so used to it that they didn't think about it being my first time). And the actual way you get the smoke out, sucking differently than I had to with the spoon, was a very strange and unnatural way to smoke I thought. I could probably get used to it, though.

So since that time went rather well, I thought I'd buy a small starter piece of my own. But I don't know what to buy. My friends have spoons, and bongs, and strange things I've never even heard of and it was kind of overwhelming when they showed them all to me.

What would you buy if you had to start all over again, as a new smoker, but knowing what you know now? What's a waste of money? What are important things to look for? For example, Sherlock bubblers look kick ass. I'm a huge Sherlock Holmes fan anyway, so I think that might be on my short list for consideration. But they come in so many different sizes. Why? Is that important? Do bigger ones hit better, or worse, or just hold more, or does it matter? Also for most of their bongs, the little stem-like piece was broken on all of them. Do they not make metal stems that are sturdier?

My friends are taking me shopping soon to a local headshop, but I'd like to have some idea of what to get.

Thanks.