Started Flowering Stage...rise In Ph And Leaves Falling Off....

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by davidwest69, May 6, 2014.

1. hey homie g's

ive started to flower now (FIRST GROW) and my Ph keeps dropping drastically causing a lot of Mag burn and maybe the cause of many of my leaves crippling up and falling off....ive seen a lot of growth but when I open my tent and see dead leaves and different looking leaves all crippled up and damaged i feel hurt inside and my heart bleeds a little...

anyone have any advice on how to slow down the Ph from dropping so fast?

PPM is 330
    Ph drops from 5.8 to 4.4 at times
    No nutrients being used but a few drops of Superthrive (i have a 30L res)

2. #2 GoldGrower, May 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2014
    Adjust your PH up to 6.5 so it has further to drop. How old are your plants? When you add nutes you will find the PH won't move quite so much. Your plants are probably taking up the PH down for its nutrient value and that's what's driving it back down every time. It's odd that its going down though, up is so much more common.

I would probably add some RO or distilled water to take the ppm down  and then add some nutes to bring it back up to your 330ppm . This will give the plants something else to chew on so the PH down won't get used up so quickly

I would also stop using superthrive while you get your shit straight. Less variables makes things easier to diagnose

3. at 330 ppm your not burning you are seeing nute [SIZE=10.5pt]deficiencies (big difference). If you are flowing now, why aren't you using any nutes? When I switch to flowering I'm between 1000-1400 ppm. You've got to get some nutes in there asap, they will also stabilize the ph. may also want to add some calmag [/SIZE]

4. #4 harrycharles, May 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2014
    Don't use superthrive in flower and I wouldn't recommend it for use in Hydro under any circumstances.  It's primary active ingredient 1-NAA (1-Naphthaleneacetic acid) which is an artificial auxin family hormone which aids in rooting.  I do not know why people use this in flower, NO IDEA.  It is very acidic and only small quantities of this will alter the pH balance of your reservoir.

5. Thanks for the replies guys. I will be buying some Aqua Flores tomorrow and it should be here by Wednesday. So many of my leaves have come off that my plants look naked. I've stopped using the superthrive. I've left it a while simply because I haven't had the funds since I bought my new car. I will post an update as soon as I've added the nutes. Thanks again for the great advice!

6. If your ph drops take water out and replace it with new water rather than using ph up. And , like they said get some nutes.

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. Why is your ppm at 330 if you're not using nutes? Your water may have too much mag in it which would cause it to not be taken up properly. The nute pathways are like highways and when there is too much flowing through them of one or another mineral then that will cause a traffic jam of nutes and it wont get uptaken.

You dont need a lot of nutes to grow healthy plants but you do need a balanced diet. If you're at 330ppm of nutes then you're fine. But if your at 330ppm of minerals in your water then your diet is way off balance.

PH dropping is a indication of nutes not being taken up. This can be from not enough of one or another mineral but more often is from a high amount of something in the water and the plant will restrict mineral uptake and that in turn will cause the ph to drop.

You can flower at whatever ppm you build your plants up to in veg. Usually when raising your salinity you will see signs of stress but if you give the plant time to adjust then they always will. Once they adjust then you can repeat the process of raising the salinity, go through the stress of the salinity transition and repeat until you are at the size, ppm, or time you desire to flower. The final ppm that you can build your plants up to and not have them stressing out is where you should flower at. You cant veg at 300ppm and try to flower at 1000 because that wont work. There needs to be a slow tolerance built up to the salts or your plant will over stress and restrict uptake. You can build up to over 1000ppm in veg but that takes time and when running such high levels often problems start fast and that is why I usually recommend about half the recommended dose for DWC. All of my advice is strictly for dwc as I have not had too much experience with soil grows.

I dont get how buddaddy can recommend calmag when he doesn't even know what kind of water you're using. CALMAG NECESSITY IS A MYTH! As soon as I have time I am going to post some monsters in flower at 300ppm with no calmag and on RO/DI water