Start to late? need to force flowering?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by TheDridge, Aug 17, 2008.

1. hey first time grower here. I planted my girls about june 16th and they are about 5' to 6' tall and they just started to flower on aug 8th. I just separated the males and the females. I am living in ohio and I am wondering if I should try to force flowering with a black garbage bag or something....

any suggestions on what I could do to induce flowering early and save my girls from freezing outside this winter.

Help me SAVE THE GIRLS!!!!!!!!

2. I wouldn't recommend a plastic garbage bag due to the heat buildup and they also let in too much light. :(

Since they're almost 6' you're kind of limited :(

I would suggest building a cheapo PVC or other plastic frame that would hold thick black plastic and put it over the plant near the end of the day and remove it late in the morning.

Giving it more than 12 hours of dark for a few days would definitely trigger flowering if it hasn't already started.

You said it started flowering on Aug 8th though so.... isn't this kind of a moot point? (No longer going to affect the plant?)

3. Thanks for the reply. Probably shouldn't of said force flowering because they have obviously started to flower. What im actually trying to do is get the girls who I planted on june 16th and who flowered on aug 8th to go through the process of maturing faster so I can harvest because if they are left as is to grow naturally I fear they will not mature in time for winter. I have them in 2 gal containers and I have a shed nearby that I am thinking about moving them into to induce more flowering and budding.

Will doing this help make the girls mature any faster? and if so what lighting cycle would you recommend I put the ladies on?

Save THE GIRLS!!!!

4. I think putting them on a 12/12 with the use of your shed will probably not hurt for inducing your plants to bloom faster. But I could be wrong. I am on my first outdoor as well.:smoking:

5. i call onto all the expert growers give me your advice i think its a pretty good question that has never clearly been answered in the forums..

6. If it's already flowering, then you can't speed it up at all. Some strains flower with more than 12 hours of light a day, yours must be one. But yeah, adding more darkness won't make them flower faster. They know what they're doing, jus let em be.

7. thanks for the reply so you think nature will take care of itself and i will be able to harvest before the frost comes which i think will be around oct 20.. cuz they just started to show all the white hairs.. which look pretty sticky =) wish i could harvest tomorrow..

8. I'm gonna guess it will be done by then. I think the fact that it's flowering already means it's a strain adapted to northern latitudes so it'll be quick flowering, 8 weeks or less. You should be able to harvest before october. Just guessing, but from what I've learned I think you'll be alright.

9. Thanks for your advice, i feel a lot better about the girls now but just to make sure there is no reason to control the light cycle now that the flowering has already begun right? because ive posted in other forums on this site and in 1 they say that i need to control the light cycle and in other they think that my plants will go root bound in my 2.5 gal pots but my solution to going root bound was to cut out the bottom and place plants in actual ground but if i do that i cant put them in shed to control light cycle.

Having numerous opinions makes me nervous but im leaning towards letting nature take its course...

10. Outdoors EARLY FLOWERING -(sexing)

Most marijuana plants cultivated in the United States begin to flower by late August to early October and the plants are harvested from October to November. For farmers in the South, parts of the Midwest, and West Coast, this presents no problem and no special techniques and instructions are needed for normal flowering.
    In much of the North and high-altitude areas, many varieties will not have time to complete flowering before fall frosts. To force the plants to flower earlier, give them longer night periods. If the plants are in containers, you can simply move them into a darkened area each evening.

Plants growing in the ground can be covered with an opaque tarpaulin, black sheet plastic, or double or triple-layers black plastic trash bags. Take advantage of any natural shading because direct sunlight is difficult to screen completely. For instance, if the plants are naturally shaded in the morning hours, cover the plants each evening or night. The next morning you uncover the plants at about eight to nine o'clock. Continue the treatment each day until all the plants are showing flowers. This usually takes two weeks at most, is the plants are well developed (about four months old). For this reason, where the season starts late, it is best to start the plants indoors or in cold frames and transplant outdoors when the weather is mild. This in effect lengthens the local growing season and gives the plants another month or two to develop.

By the end of August the plants are physiologically ready to flower; they sometimes do with no manipulation of the photoperiod. More often female plants show a few flowers, but the day-length prevents rapid development to large clusters. The plants seem in limbo - caught between vegetative growth and flowering. The natural day-length at this time of year will not be long enough to reverse the process, so you can discontinue the treatment when you see that the new growth is predominantly flowers.
    In areas where frosts are likely to occur by early October, long-night treatments may be the only way you can harvest good-sized flower clusters. These clusters, or buds, are the most potent plant parts and make up the desired harvest. Forcing the plants to flowers early also means development while the weather is warm and the sun is shining strongly.

The flower buds will form much faster, larger and reach their peak potency. A good time to start the treatments is early to middle August. This allows the plants at least four weeks of flowering while the weather is mild.
    Another reason you may want to do this is to synchronize the life cycle of the plants with the indigenous vegetation. In the northeast and central states, the growing season ends quite early and much of the local vegetation dies back and changes color. Any marijuana plants stick out like green thumbs, and the crop may get ripped off or busted. Plants treated with long nights during late July will be ready to harvest in September.

Outdoor growers should always plant several varieties, because some may naturally flower early, even in the northern-most parts of the country. These early-maturing varieties usually come from Mexican, Central Asian, and homegrown sources. By planting several varieties, many of you will be able to find or develop an early-maturing variety after a season or two. This, of course, is an important point, because it eliminates the need for long-night treatments.

(source greenmans page)

11. thanks a lot for the reply i think i understand. I just transplanted all the girls into the ground so i'm going to used the garbage begs to force flowering until i see actual flowers. ill let everyone know how it works out.