Start indoors, move outdoors...

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by dreambigbud, Mar 27, 2009.

1. I bought some seeds from attitude (Hollands Hope & GHS White Widow) and plan to grow outside but since I still have snow on the ground up here in the northeast I started a couple of the seeds, last week, that have busted through and are growing nicely. I put them under some cfl's with a small fan in my closet. I've left the light on 24/7 for about a week now b/c I'd like them to get as big as possible before I put them outside in about 6 weeks.

My question is, will the light change from 24/7, under cfl's, to 6 or so hours of direct sunlight, outside at my growspot, harm my plants? Should I set a timer for 18/6 instead of 24/7?

Thanks for any advice :smoking:

2. Good question. It makes me happy when I see that. I responded to you in another thread a bit more in depth but I have never personally had problems with that transition.

3. Are you going to be vegging still when you move them outside? Also, you say they will get about 6 hours of direct sunlight, but how much indirect sunlight will they be getting?

If so, what I would do is the week before you're going to move them outside, switch them from 24/7 to 18/6. If my theory is correct, it should hopefully limit the amount of stress put on your plants from the change in light cycles.

The other thing you could do, and this depends on the total amount of sunlight they'll get in a day, is veg indoors and flower outdoors. I put my ladies outside every day at 7:15 am and then put them to bed in their shed at 7:15 pm.

4. I sure hope they'll still be vegging. I just want to get a head start since I have a shorter growing season. I bought femmed seeds and plan to put them in the ground in May, once the frost is over. I don't have to leave the light on for 24/7 I just thought getting them big and healthy before I plant them in the ground was best. But maybe a bit smaller plants at 18/6 is better?

5. It's entirely up to you. Most people say 24/7 yields faster growth. I was just saying switch to 18/6 the week before you move outside to kinda ease the plants into the new cycle so it's not so much of a shock. It may make no difference, though.

If you want a smaller plant, I'd probably still do 24/7 and just LST the ladies.

6. I think the white widow might be a problem. It still grows outside and gets great potency, except it gives small and not a lot of buds, from research not personal experience. I would just look into that more be careful.

7. Lol? You didn't research OP's 2008 GHS WW grow. He got several pounds off of a couple white mamasitas.

8. Haha, exactly...OP's the reason I purchased the WW's! I was going to just start them all outside like he does but since I have a shorter grow season and of course I'm pretty excited for my first grow, I decided to start a couple inside. 1 WW and the 1 Free Pure Gold fem.

Since I have the ability to start them inside, do you guys think I should start them all (I plan to grow 8-10) or just wait until May to start the rest and just put them outside to begin? I can't remember if OP doesn't b/c he can't start inside or chooses strictly outside b/c he believes it's better for the grow...

9. hahaha good one