Start adding nutes on day 8 in coir?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by matt_blowen, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Hi guys ran into a few problems over the weekend but thats all sorted, i now have a new problem the tips on my 8 day old seedling are starting to discolour

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Im not on about the first true leaves but the new growth?

Auto northern lights
    Coir + cal/mag
    24hr 300w dual spec cfl at 18"
    Temps 24.c - 28.7c
    Rh 56%
    Only water used at ph 6.6

Question is could this be nutrient deficiency even tho the cotyledon leaves are still green? and if so shall i start at 1/4 strength? Thanks

2. Did you pre-charge the coco? You should have used a 50/50 coco/perlite mix for seedlings - it allows for daily feeding and provides fresh oxygen to the roots. I feed from day one with 1/4 strength nutes and pre-charge with 1/4 strength nutes. Also, your pH is way too high, it should be around 5.9 and never use just water in coco. Why did you use an auto? If you're not an experienced grower or a very lucky new grower - autos are not a good idea. The pic are plants at 7 days old in a 50/50 mix..

1 week.JPG

3. This is my first grow and i gathered info on forums for quite a while, so i know i need to lower the ph, shall i start on nutes at 1/4 strength obviously ph the feed going in? Yours look a lot better at 7 days, mine stopped growth when the first true leaves started to turn funky but now i have good new growth imo except for the tips turning, thanks for your time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Sorry i only pre charged the coco with cal/mag as instructed by my local hydro store

5. A lot of good coco growers pre-charge with only cal/mag - 1/4 strength nutes is just an alternative - calcium and magnesium are the most important elements to use for pre-charging coco, so your hydro guy was correct. I would definitely start giving 1/4 strength nutes but I would be hesitant to feed daily like I do because you don't have perlite in it. When you transplant I would suggest you use at least a 70/30 coco/perlite mix for fast growth. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thank you very much mickfoster

7. Just a little update, since introducing nutes she has sprung to life this is the 4th day from disaster now, also i raised her up closer to the light

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Very nice recover. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1