* Stars in the sky *

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by T4C, Feb 24, 2013.

1. I am one who is very interested in our planet, constellations, and galaxies.

I live in Northern New Jersey and the stars are shit, if you're lucky you will see Orion's belt. In the summer, I spend most weeks at my beach house is Lavallette.

The stars are much more visible and something about sitting on the beach and looking at the stars has captured a part of me.

I want to take a vacation over the summer and go star gazing somewhere, any recommendations ?

2. thats weird, i live in jersey shore and on a clear night, i can see a whole lotta trippy figures made out of stars ;D

3. like i said, not as bad in the summer(or a clear night) in the jersey shore.

but i know there are parts of the world where it is far more incredible

4. Antarctica

5. Depends how far you are willing to travel.

You can go to national/state parks in PA and see the milky way.
    Go out west CO or further and you will see the milky way in more detail.

Willing to fly? Then you have a ton more options.

Here's a map of light pollution in the US. For something breathtaking, you want Blue/black spots. Green are okay, but blue and black are spectacular.
    I mean, you can see a good amount of stars in yellow, but it's nothing amazing.

[​IMG]

6. i used to live out in a very rural part of arizona at my moms house, i still go there from time to time. and it is SPECTACULAR how many stars you can see out there on a clear night with no moon. there's also something that's so majestic about the desert night that fascinates me so much. i used to go on night walks out there all the time, using the stars as my compass.

ahhh i need to make a trip up to my moms house soon

7. Anchient man believed humans where born and came from the stars which was one reason they were so interested in the stars and planets.

There is also a company that rents slots on rockets that send satellites into space and you can put a small canister of your or a loved ones cremated remains to send out into space to return to the stars!

8. [​IMG]

Cherry Springs State Park, look it up for more awesome photos. :)

9. I was in Arizona when I saw the Giants vs Patriots in the superbowl. Man, the stars were unreal !

10. Thanks for the feedback guys ! appreciate it

11. There is something surreal about being high and gazing into the heavens. I spend hours in the summer laying down outside and looking at the stars, listening to the crickets. Most of my friends just want to get high to be high, and not really appreciate nature and its beauty. Its a gift to live somewhere light pollution doesn't obscure your view of the night sky.

12. check these out :)

their not star pics but its pics of all the beautiful mornings we get here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

probably upload some more later

13. I know exactly were you're coming from brother. Its okay, there's nothing like doing that alone or with a girl .

absolutely gorgeous :wave:

14. Its nice to know there are others out there! Go on Hubble.org and look at their gallery's. The pictures are amazing

15. yeah man, ive seen those.

I have a house down the shore like i stated in my original post.

I go up there some nice, toke up on the life guard stand and look out into the ocean from the moons reflection or sometimes lay in the sand looking up wondering why we're here.

16. I remember doing that in Mexico, but it probably wasn't as surreal as your experience is. The waves are relaxing, but the night time is calm and peaceful. Good thread, cheers :wave:

17. #18 INTP, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2013
    Someone that shares the same views as me. Hello friend! :wave:

I don't know what it is about looking out at the stars that captures me, I just imagine what could possibly be going on or what planets ect are in the direction I'm looking over the mass distance. Truly amazing.

18. I just want to know the planets thoughts and feeling. No way that they are that big and not controlled by anything .. IMO 0_0

19. Hello! Its amazing to think that those stars may be burnt out already and arr millions of light years away and the light we see is the stars dirge. I then heard about this one and it makes you think, would aliens that are millions of light years away looking at Earth see dinosaurs?