Staring at yourself in the mirror

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by EddieTheHead, Aug 17, 2012.

1. this, all the time.

2. insecurities, anxiety, depression, could be anything.

3. OP you might be interested in (Freudian) Lacanian mirror theory

tdlr your ego forms when first seeing yourself in the mirror during infancy, realization you are not who you think you are (weaker, undeveloped, etc) and that makes you hate your father

4. Thanks, upon looking up Lacan's mirror stage it could indeed be a piece of the puzzle as far as establishing subjectivity anfd body image.

5. When I read this post I couldn't help thinking about a personal incident that happened to me many years ago. My wife and I were staying at a motel in upstate N.Y. We were standing side by side in the bathroom looking at ourselves. We both witnessed the strangest thing; our eyes seemed to have disappeared and over the eye sockets were what appeared to be very thinly sliced kiwi fruit. ( I use this example because it best discribes what we saw.) Here's the thing: I could see this on her eyes, and she could see this on my eyes, but we did not see anything abnormal when we looked at our own eyes.
    Now this may be explained away by saying that there was a disdortion in the mirror's silvering, or a reflection oddity, but it's the feeling we both had when it occurred. Spooky.

6. This a great topic.

I've always hated looking at myself in the mirror, because I felt like it wasn't the same as how I thought I look. I hate pictures too. There have been times when I've just stared at myself and relaxed my face. It looks much different that both what I normally look like in a mirror and what I think I look like. It's also given me a gradually increasing sense of peace, but I can never do it for long as the monster in the mirror consumes me with fear.

7. Psychadelics, to be more specific.

8. i stare at myself in the mirror sometimes, because im so handsome:)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Am I staring at the mirror or is the mirror staring at me through me?

10. The person starring at the mirror can turn the image of themselves into anything. Depending on the thoughts that are going on in the noggin. So I can easily understand someone turning themsleves into a monster, for example. With depression, and hate of the world/ hate of themselves symptoms.

11. sounds to me like your mom was on some unmentionables

12. Yeah, I stare at myself in the mirror. I also tuck in my junk to make myself look like a real woman.

[​IMG]

"It puts the lotion in the basket."

13. Agreed. I do this quite often (because I've heard of the same thing, and also high boredom) and this has never happened to me.

14. i know what youre talkin aboot

15. Does anyone else reckon your reflection in the mirror is like a way for your sub concious to come out? Like your seeing yourself but the very fact your seeing yourself as something separate from you creates a part of you that isn't quite you.

I'm not really explaining that very well ^ but I get a bit scared of my reflection sometimes when I'm really blazed and view it as something inside me that isn't quite me, even when I have the door closed to a room with a full length mirror I still kind of feel like that part of me is behind the door in the mirror waiting for me if I ever decided to go in. This only really happens when I'm really really blazed though.

16. Onetime I was looking in the bathroom mirror in the dark and decided to take a pic with flash of myself

Then I went to look at the picture and there was an unknown figure behind me

17. Sometimes I stare too long while doing my makeup, just makes me feel narcassacistic (sp?)

18. Do it in a dimly lit room, Shits weird stare long enough and your mind plays tricks

19. Not sure if someone already answered in the way I'm about to, but -

It's a normal thing that will happen to people when they stare at anything for a while. It happens more easily in low-light conditions, which can help explain the mirror effect in the Bloody Mary urban legend.

What happens is your brain gets tired of looking at the same damn thing over long periods of time, and it'll start getting a bit more creative in what it's taking in to spice up the scenery.

The same thing has happened to me before while looking at my own reflection, and even when looking at other people's faces in low-light, especially when I'm tired.

20. Y'all are disconnected :(