Star wars vs. Lord of the rings

Discussion in 'Movies' started by ARlexington, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Which do you prefer? and what about it do you enjoy?

2. That's completely different!

That's like comparing apples to oranges.

3. well..im biasly supporting LOTR...

my mother read the hobbit, and the rest of the trilogy as a child growing up for a bedtime story, i went to sleep with dreams of hobbits fighting the fierce ugly goblins, and magic and dragons..

plus, lord of the rings spawned the entire fantasy genre, Dungeons and Dragons and all of its many relatives, all stem their inspiration from tolkien's master works..

also, he is the number one rated author of the twentieth century

sorry george lucas..

4. i must say it is realy the same story set in different times and told in different styles?

if i have to chouse its lord of the rings!!!

5. I'll take Star Wars. I don't remember anyone creating such a series completely through movies.....there are other fantasy books (although not nearly as detailed as Tolkien's).

6. star wars.. lightsabers ftw!

7. I think the same could be said about Star Wars, where it started the whole genre thing, but I may be wrong, I'm not a movie buff or anything. I like Lord of The Rings, and Star Wars, don't really know which one more. They are both probably the best example of their genre. I think I'd have to see Star Wars all over again/LoTR all over again, then decide, which I'm most likely never going to do, so my answer will never be known.:cool:

8. welll since tolkien is the founder of fantasy..they cant really top him at all

9. True....I just enjoy Star Wars more than LotR movies, although its hard to compare 6 movies to 3.

10. J.R.R. Tokin' hit the pipe all day and created his own world, including a new language. He gets my vote any day.

11. the story he promoted at first was that he "tranlated"the whole story from billbos and frodos wrightings!
    but yes he did create alot more than many befor or affter himself

there are also the books of lost tails and the similarin
    much more to that story than just the 4 more popular books

12. Its close, but id have to go with Star Wars.

Ive just loved everything about it since I was a kid.

13. are you kidding me? star wars kicked ass man
    especially original trilogy

14. I love LOTR, but Star Wars takes the cake.

Both are complete escapes from reality, totally unchanged by the goings on of our own real world.

Both offer something to aspire too, a higher power or destiny that calls and requires answering, and so on and so on.

Great series, both.

15. Id have to say my favorite Star Wars movie is Return of the Jedi.

The whole battle on the frozen planet of Hoth or whatever in The Empire Strikes back was cool though.:smoke:

16. The Hobbit was the first book I ever read (chapter book that is).
    I first saw Star Wars in a theater when I was a young lad, both are quite good.
    But I'd have to tip my hat to Lord of the Rings, Tolkien is my favorite author for a good reason, he holds a special place in my heart, opened my eyes to imagination, and inspired my dream to be a writer.
    So yeah, Lord of the Rings. :)

17. Star Wars for sure.

18. apples and oranges ladies.
    and oranges, like star wars, are better.

19. there both cool in different ways.