Star Wars: The Last Jedi *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Movies' started by lessthanjeezy, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Didn't see a thread for it yet, so figured I would start one.

So let's hear it, what did you like, what didn't you like, and an overall 1 out of 10 rating.

Personally, I went with an 8 out of 10...I will be seeing it again next week to dive a little deeper into the movie but overall, I felt like a kid again watching the movie. My largest issue (which isn't really na issue, just more of a preference) is instead of Luke Force projecting himself across the galaxy in the "fight" with Kylo Ren, it would have been incredible to see a Yoda-like lightsaber battle where Luke just fucking destroys every walker and ship firing at him other than Ren's. I still think what they did was cool, but just a small preference.

Onto the three biggest issues I have heard from my friends:

1) What the hell is with grandpa Luke - While I would have liked to see a badass Luke Skywalker fucking shit up with his light saber, I understand the direction they took with this. I think they wanted Rey to see the turmoil in Luke that was caused by failing Kylo and why he is so resistant to training her at all. After that event with Kylo, Luke decided staying a "legend" was best for the Jedi and the universe.

2) Who the fuck is Snoke? - This one really chapped my friends butts. While it would have been nice to get some back story on Snoke, I think them not giving him one showed how unimportant of a character he was. He clearly is just the new head "Bad guy" of the New Order who has too much arrogance to see his protege turning against him. Kylo Ren turning the lightsaber on Snoke without Snoke realizing shows how much more powerful Kylo Ren was than Snoke, so it was a matter of time until Kylo Ren took over.

3) Rey being a nobody with drunk nobody parents - I actually loved this. This shows in the Star Wars universe, you don't have to be a Skywalker to be a Jedi. The Force surrounds everyone and everything and the family you are from has nothing to do with how strong the Force is with someone.

Anyway, I will step down from my nerd soapbox now, were there things I would have liked done differently, yes, but all in all I was very entertained and got that nostalgic feeling I was chasing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. I'm just still amazed that peeps still wanna watch this shit

its been around since 1977...?

a highly manipulative old style hollywood movie

far better value around out their

would even be better had the script writers not gone on strike months back

good revue

good luck

3. We are going to see this but we are waiting a while until there won't be many people in the theatre.

4. The market for nostalgia is real, people will pay some $$$ to feel like a kid again.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Movie was worst I've seen. Story didn't make sense, the chick was still overpowered without training, and the other characters didn't impress at all, let alone the newer ones. Kylo Ren is acharacter I feel I could like, but I'm not taking a guy seriously that gets headlocked by a random red guard and supposed to be powerful. And Luke... the three first movies outlined his growth from a naive farm boy to an actual jedi warrior. Trial and error, and he was loved because he was clearly not the best yet worked on himself to become better and capable, managing to make his depressed old father do that one right thing that managed to save an entire galaxy. and u gave it an 8/10?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. I enjoyed it though wished they handled some things differently. The more I think through it, the more I remember stuff that didn't line up. I really had no pre-conceived notions about the movie. I don't read fan stuff.

I thought Luke was a kind of inept douchey dude that could have been done so much better. I thought Leia deserved a more meaningful death. Snoke should've had some sort of explanation/story rather than zero explanation.

Ridiculous how Finn could or would fly that ground speeder directly up and through the ram ray (rather than next too or from the side) melting a huge armored door, all while flying in a jucky speeder with an open cockpit and living to tell about it. Oh, and after Rose bumps him out of there...he's able to go ahead and drag her the long ass distance that was shown between the base and the ram (via the speeders travel time to the ram) all while not getting shot.

Unfortunately this was a corporate product to make money, not an artistic/passionate endeavor. It deserved much better.

7. I'll add that our appreciation/critique for Star Wars movies is different as an adult than as a kid. If I were 10 years old this would've been more awesome. When we were kids watching the original trilogy, this was a pretty innovative and bad-ass story. Now a days this doesn't stand out as much.

They really shouldn't rush these movies. Treat them like the royalty that they are or were and do a better job with the story. Even if it takes more time.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Nothing wrong with paying a small amount to enjoy yourself and feel like a kid for a couple hours :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Terribly distressed by this film, the whole action looks like some kind of mixture of comedy and a parody of drama. The characters are zero, and to the last, neither the actors' play is impressive nor the screenwriters revealed the characters and the story of the characters. The whole plot is secondary to ugliness and sucked from the finger.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. You came to a weed forum just to bitch about a Star Wars movie for your first post? Alrighty then

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1

11. Solo: A Star Wars Story
    Ron Howard’s first foray into a galaxy far, far away could be the surprise hit of the summer. A ‘surprise’ because this movie about the early adventures of scruffy smuggler Han Solo had a production defined by drama, when its original directors were fired. Howard was then hired, in part, so that the script, by Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi and Force Awakens screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan and his son Jake, could be rendered more faithfully. The result appears to be a film that’s part space western, part heist thriller. How did young Han meet Chewbacca? First interact with the debonair, cape-wearing ladies man Lando Calrissian? Make his original flight in the Millennium Falcon? Solo: A Star Wars Story seems poised to answer those questions, as well as reveal the mysterious ‘Kessel Run’ that’s been teased since the original Star Wars film in 1977

sneeky review out soon!