Star Wars Episode 1

Discussion in 'Movies' started by sk8njam, Jul 8, 2012.

1. had an urge to watch a Star Wars movie, bout to smoke some bomb Obama OG (haha) and throw on The Phantom Menace

What do you guys think of this film?

2. I liked it, I dont think most people do tho

3. i love star wars , but when i watch one i have to watch the rest. and i keep thinking about it for like a month haha.

4. I really liked it, I imagine the biggest issues were jar jar binks and child actors lol

5. damn, lets get to the podracing part of the future already...i need to ride one of those

6. The only issue I have with that movie is the child who played anakin.

I wish there had been a better child actor :(

7. oh ya?? who would you like to see play the part of Anakin?

8. Verne Troyer,
    he would've done a fine job.

9. I just watched the third and having a craving to watch em all. Once I get back home I'm gonna medicate and have myself a movie festival :)

10. Kind of a weird one for me. I really like it, up til Anakin shows up, and pretty much everything he isn't involved in is pure gold, I even don't mind Jar Jar. May be because it was the first SW film I saw in cinema (wasn't born when any of the originals were released) but I do really like TPM.

Liam Neeson as Qui Gon. Just a boss really.
    Ewan McGregor as Obi Wan.
    Mace Windu. Manages to be a badass without really doing anything at all.
    Ian McDiarmid as Palpatine.
    Pod-Racing was visually stunning when it was released, really exciting. Was incredible in the 3D version.
    R2-D2.
    Darth Fucking Maul.
    Duel of the Fates.
    First look at Coruscant in the films.

For other SW fans I highly recommend "Darth Plagueis" by James Luceno. It's an incredible book that shows the rise of Darth Plagueis and the training of Sidious, it leads brilliantly into the first film and reveals a hell of a lot of shit.

11. I liked it, yeah anakin child actor was weak as fuck but such a strong cast overall. Liam Neeson plays an epic Qui-gon-Jinn.

Gonna try and torrent that book you mentioned ^^ was always curious about Darth Plagueis.

12. Definitely worth it. It's kinda like The Godfather and 1984 of Star Wars. But with significantly more lightning,

13. im gonna do my best to watch all 6 in the next 2 weeks....school and band practice keeps me pretty busy though

14. I watched it in 3D. I was so high and it was great.

15. This sums up my thoughts on all the Star Wars prequels, really. :p

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDCjIjsZp_Y"]At Midnight I Will Kill George Lucas With A Shovel - YouTube[/ame]

16. #16 weirdojace, Jul 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2012
    Everybody needs to see this. Go look up the rest of the parts.

The Star Wars prequels are indefensible pieces of shit that make no sense because George Lucas is a hack who doesn't know anything about filmmaking or script writing, and these reviews explain why in massive detail. Also, they're hilarious.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI]Star Wars: The Phantom Menace Review (Part 1 of 7) - YouTube[/ame]

edit: Oh hell, here's the links to all of them:
    The Phantom Menace
    Attack of the Clones
    Revenge of the Sith

Bonus: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

17. #17 Helikaon, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2012
    Hmm. "doesn't know anything about filmmaking"

His hundreds of millions of dollars, unlimited creative freedom, instant worldwide publicity and movie studio disagree.

For the record, American Graffiti is amazing. Let alone the original Star Wars movies which set the bar for Hollywood science fiction for decades still to come.

The only thing George Lucas doesn't know how to write is believable romance. He also can't cast roles for shit anymore.

18. He has those things because after he built up his reputation with the original Star Wars movies and made millions off them, he was able to build his own studio where he's the boss and nobody can say no to him, or else they get fired. He has unlimited creative freedom because he gave it to himself.

People don't realize that on the first 3 Star Wars movies, Lucas didn't have creative freedom. He was an ideas guy. And a lot of times, people would actually tell him, "No George. That's ridiculous. We aren't doing that." It actually happened all the time, especially on A New Hope, which by the way, is the only one of the original trilogy that Lucas actually directed! Go look at the credits on Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. He didn't direct those movies.

He rode on the success of 3 movies that he didn't actually have as much to do with as people give him credit for, which is why when he was given unlimited freedom to make the prequels however he wanted, they came out as lazy films with poor plot and characterization, made for the sake of milking the franchise.

I've never seen American Graffiti, but it seems to be pretty polarizing. People I talk to either think it's great, or they hate it. I can't really comment on it. But like I said, he didn't have as much to do with the original Star Wars films as people think. You really should watch those RedLetterMedia reviews, they go into detail about a lot of this stuff.

You got that right. The romance stuff is the reason Attack of the Clones is probably the worst of the prequels.

"The sand... it's coarse... annoying... dry... and it gets everywhere. Not like you."

19. #20 ParaBolTOOL, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2012
    That video was pretty funny, but at the same time I found it pointless.... it tried to make a point but didnt get anywhere, except point out the stupidity of a small handfull of fans.

I thought it was obvious that the Star Wars movies evolve around Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker, and basically everyone else are extra characters that are involved in getting him to follow his destiny as the prophecy foretells as being "the one who brings balance to the force." (No matter how big the characters may seem like luke, han and leia) Yeah he didnt make his appearance till 45minutes into the 1st movie as a young child but it had to build up the importance of other characters and situations to the make the impact of his discovery all that much more crucial in the minds of the audience. Saving Obi Wan, Qui Gon Jinn and the freakin Queen herself by risking his life for them, being the first phase of the prophecy. Not everything Anakin did was by accident or luck, basically the space craft he took shelter in automatically following the fleet into battle was unintentional, but he took manual control soon afterwards and nothing would've been accomplished had he not taken the situation into his own hands and save the day.

I found it interesting even the order they released the movies which a lot of people bitch about, as Darth Vader made to be viewed as an unsympathetic villain until the end of return of the jedi, seeing his son with his own eyes for the first time and his death, to them going back to his early stages of becoming a jedi. --Losing the trust of the council, while they unknowingly stoke the fire of rejecting him and pushing him towards the open arms of senator palpatine, being lied to and becoming the sith lords most powerfull pawn, trapped in his oath of servitude to the empire.

Only then do we fully appreciate and understand the complete circle of transpired events that led Darth Vader to finally overcome his seemingly unrelenting evil that managed to turn into a single act of compassion and succeed in his duty to kill the sith lord which ended the war between the empire and rebel alliance.

But I guess simple minded people need their simple plot and protagonist to be pure of heart through and through and a clear cut villain... while luckily there are those who see the mess and tangle of the plot and characters and are able to make sense of it all in the end, as intended Im sure.

I didnt let the shitty character jar jar binks ruin all of star wars for me, and Im able to see through the terrible child acting by seeing the character for what he ended up as, Darth Vader, who is by far my favorite movie character of all time.