Star Trek TNG

Discussion in 'Television/Internet TV/VOD/DVD' started by Oni~, Nov 13, 2015.

1. I am not a "Trekkie" but this is still an excellent show that deserves praise. A lot of "out there" ideas discussed on GC's forums have been depicted in TNG. I feel fortunate to have had the chance to watch it growing up.

The original is talked about a lot these days because of the recent remakes, and it deserves the obvious praise for getting the franchise started way back in '66. The Next Generation however, really put the series on the map and started to blow people's minds.

It's obviously very 80'sish, with mannerisms, attire, and special effects, but frankly I find it enhances the show. You get to see what cutting edge special effects were only 20 years ago. You also see a bit more sane society on display. As the seasons progress, the CGI and writing improve substantially. Episodes are generally alone-standing except for a few continuations, and it does not require the seeing of the original first. It stands on its own.

The cast is of course excellent, led by what I consider perhaps the best fictional leader ever.

2. I just finished watching TNG last night. It's been a long project, taking about 2 years as there were times I was really busy and didn't get around to watching episodes for a while. Seven season at 24-26 episodes a piece is a lot of TV. Plus I picked up Deep Space Nine and started watching it alongside TNG in order. Which has been a great show so far.

I considered myself a pretty big Star Trek fan growing up and as an adult, but all I watched was the first 6 movies with the original series crew. I loved those movies though, had them on tape as a kid, DVD as I got older and Blu Ray as soon as I got one of those. I'd never really seen the original series growing up though, and when I was a kid and TNG was on I didn't want to have anything to do with it. There was no Captain Kirk. But sometime in my early 20's I saw the TNG movie First Contact on cable one day while I was laying on the couch hungover, and I really liked it. So I decided that one day I'd probably watch the show, but it took a long time. And I went back and watched the original series during my 20's, but it wasn't until my 30's I finally took on TNG.

It was a great show, it definitely got better as it went along. The early days when Roddenberry was still at the helm and he was basically just trying to recreate the original series, cheese and all, was really hit or miss. And even if it was a hit, the execution would be pretty silly. I'm looking forward to watching the rest of the TNG movies, First Contact is still the only one I've seen in its entirety. Although I've seen a lot of bits and pieces of Generations. I wanted to wait until I watched the series to watch the rest of the films though. Even though I've owned them for a couple of years, because when I went to buy the original movies on Blu Ray there was an Amazon sale that made it cheaper to buy the complete 10 movie set than just the 6 TOS films.

3. Star Trek is possibly the greatest export your country had made.

TNG is amazing, the episodes with Q were my favourite.

4. Yeah, Q is great. Loved the DS9 episode where he showed up and Sisko punched him in the face.

5. Data is also a great character. His desire to be human is a great ongoing theme to the show.

6. Data is probably my favorite character on the show, I love them all though, except Lore, lol

7. Not that I mean Lore's a badly designed character, all I mean is I personally didn't like him. I loved Q though, he really did like Cpt. Picard

8. I just finished watching Generations. Really cracked up at this part...

[​IMG]

9. #9 AdmiralTugBenson, Jan 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2016
    TOS has always been talked about, it was a cultural phenomenon, it doesn't owe any of its popularity to the Abrams reboot. The opposite actually, the reboot is trying to cash in on the popularity of TOS and its films. Which were still going strong and keeping Star Trek well "on the map" by the time TNG came along. Star Trek IV was released about 9-10 months before TNG first aired, and it was the most profitable Star Trek film made up to that point, making over $130 million on a $21 million budget. Not grossing as much as Star Trek: The Motion Picture, but making more profit as it had a lower budget. And to this day it's still the third highest grossing Star Trek film (adjusting for inflation), only after Star Trek: The Motion Picture, and Star Trek (2009). It sold more tickets than Into Darkness and all of the TNG films. It was the popularity of Star Trek IV that helped get TNG launched, and the fact that TOS was still the most popular syndicated television show in the US, 17 years after its cancellation.

10. I enjoy TNG but I'm a huge fan of deep space nine. The first two seasons are a little slow but once it finds its rhythm you really start to feel a connection with the characters. More so than with TNG I think. TNG was more episodic while DS9 has more interconnected stories that even though the first two seasons are boring sometimes you need to get through them to understand why things are happening in later seasons.

11. Yeah, I'm really enjoying DS9. I enjoyed the first couple of seasons, it may be a bit boring to some, but that change of pace is nice if you're watching it alongside TNG. Then once TNG goes off the air DS9 kicks into gear when they get the Defiant and the Dominion starts to show up. But I hear it really gets off the chain once the Dominion War really starts and Worf joins the cast.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Exactly. Once DS9 gets going it becomes excellent. Idk what it is about Sisko and Jake, most likely Avery's acting, but I really buy the father-son relationship between them. Perhaps more so than on any other show regardless of genre. The episode "The Visitor" is one of the greatest things I've ever seen on television. Still gets me today.

13. I haven't gotten to The Visitor yet, but I just finished Past Tense parts 1 & 2 and that was pretty fucking awesome. For a time travel episode, I usually prefer a bit more space/spaceships in my Star Trek, but that was very well done. They should have had a little more fun with O'Brien and Kira visiting the different time periods, but it was pretty funny when they landed in the 60's and got beamed out in front of the hippies.

14. #14 AdmiralTugBenson, Jan 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2016
    Just got to the point in my TNG/DS9 watching where Voyager begins. Since I'm done with TNG, I decided to go ahead and pick up Voyager. Even though I didn't plan to, but I also didn't plan to pick up DS9 when I started watching TNG. I don't know if it will be as good as the other 2 shows, but the pilot was the shit. Paris is cool, I understand he was originally going to be the character that actor played on TNG (Wesley's squadron commander who was disgraced during the accident), but that they had to change it for legal reasons and created a different disgrace/name.

Edit: OK, the pilot was awesome, but the next couple of episodes I watched were not-so-great. Might just focus on finishing DS9 and the TNG films.

15. great sho-w

16. Hottest girl in TNG? - Got to be Deanna
    Hottest man? - Got to be Jean Luc. He's not classiclly hot, but he's still got somethign about him.

17. Back when I was a teen, the only wet dream I had was of Deanna Troy. I don't know if it was cause she is an empath or it was those one pieces she wore, but something made her hot.. even though I think the doctor was more physically attractive.