Stalk diameter vs. plant height/age

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Phyll, Nov 9, 2003.

1. I was trying to decide if it wouldn't be a bad idea to put these 12 plants on 12/12 after only 3 weeks of 24/0. The stalks were 1/4" to 3/8" (6-10 mm) in diameter and the plants averaged 6-8" high. So, because of their good size after only three weeks in the vegatative stage, I went ahead and took the light down to 1 inch from the tops of the plants and to a 12/12 cycle. I have them in a 24" dia.x 12" deep tree planter (soil, etc.) in a room 3'x3'x5'H with seven compact spiral flourescent lamps/relfectors at a total of 12,000 lumens. (3,500 cool white, 8,500 warm white). The box fan hangs from above and blows down gently and evenly. I'm going to remove the males once I can ID them. I have also pruned them for better exposure. I did not top them off or do any transplanting. I don't know what strain they are. They are now at an average of 8-10" high with the stalks just a tad fatter than they were when I put them on 12/12. I've been keeping the soil mix moist with water and now I am using Schultz's Bloom Plus with water. I spray them lightly once a day with straight water. The largest plants are getting a rougher skin on their stalks at the bottom. They have good fan leaves and a nice bright green color to them.
    Q: Was it too soon to start 12/12 and sexing? If not, once they are sexed, should I return the remainder of the plants (females) back to 24/0 or just keep them on 12/12 based on size alone after I remove the males? Or is my grow destined for Hermie City? I'd like them to flower for 12 weeks if they're genuinely female. Am I on the right track or what?

Comments, suggestions, ridicule, admonishments, kudos and advice are always welcome. Thanks. Phyll

2. well phyll, i'd say you need some more light, if i read correctly you have a 3x3 garden, and 12,000 lumens, that's approx 1333 lumens per sq foot, you really want a minimum of 2000 per sq foot.......and with good white walls or mylar.............as for triggering flowering at that size, they'll most prob be o.k., but would have benefitted more from a longer veg, as you allready have the height............ps that's gonna be one very busy growroom if all 12 turn out to be female......lol.......i struggle with 6/7 in my 3.5' x 3.5' x 7'...........my problems allways temp control.............Peace out........Sid

3. no 1 has answered my ?'s still, dose any no any thing more than the basic's????????????? come on people

4. what question?.....you'll need to post a link to it, or i'll try and find it tonight, but i beleive all your posts have answers the last time i looked a min ago............Peace out.......Sid

5. Ok, sounds good. If I have to I'll transplant the females in such a way that I can get more light per square foot on them. I want to go with flo's for the entire grow. I can't afford the electricity or the possible "exposure" I might get with the use of HID lamps. I also like the fact that the heat in there is limited to just enough. I think using flo's is a step closer to stealthy indoor growing because of the lower wattages involved...I wish I had myself a place where I could install enough solar panels with HID's running off of them and never have to worry about it.

Grasscity Deals Near You