Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Stale Smoke

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Shrink, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Is stale smoke bad for your health? How long does it take before your smoke turns stale? Also is ghosting bad for your health?

2. 1.) No. Although it does make you (me anyway) cough a bit more.

2.) I believe as soon as you let oxygen (air from outside the bong) hit the smoke, it becomes stale. Which is why you should just clear it in a big rip ;)

3.) You will get mixed answers here. All the "cool" stoners will say "Hold that zhit in broz"! Then you will get people saying "Anything more than 5 seconds is a waste" blah blah.

I just hold it in until I want/need to blow it out :D

3. ^what he /she said.

As for 3. Unless you want to be absolutely sure you got every bit of thc (low stash, for example) I wouldn't do it... There's tar in that smoke, I rather not let it cool in my lungs. When smoke cools down against a material, it leaves a bit of ash (thats why your bong gets resined up), and i rather not have my lungs looking like a dirty bong.

4. Stale smoke tastes like shit in my opinion, it usually happens if you don't clear it soon enough before the oxygen spoils it. I don't think it's bad for you, but still tastes like poop.

5. I've seen people pull out the down stem and blow the stale smoke out the bong (if they didn't clear it all) :confused:

If it's your weed go for it, but you don't do that shit in a sesh.

6. So i wont get the spins and dizziness if I keep it in for like 10 seconds every hit rite? because my grass is not the best.

7. You'll be high :)
    But you wont die :)

8. I do this but me and my roommates only rip single hitters. Plus if i mix some tobacco in the bowl the stale smoke tastes that much worse hahah

Any smoking is bad for your health...

9. Im pretty sure its 3 seconds... not 5 seconds... but i don't know for sure im just saying lol as for stale smoke...i don't think its anyworst then normal smoke other then the fact that its stale and nasty haha i remember the gravity bong days..oh my fuck that shit was stale

10. Stale smoke tastes a bit gross to me.

I'd say within a few seconds of oxygen coming in contact with the smoke.

The longer you hold it in, the more damage it does. As long as you exhale within 1-15 seconds you'll be fine, even longer and nothing would happen, just to be safe.

11. the only ill effect that stale would have on your health is that it makes you cough.

It goes stale if you leave it for too long, in my experience about 5 seconds, if you need to stop ripping for any reason you should cover the top of the bong with your hand.

Hold it in until it feels right to blow it out.

12. Ha ha... is stale smoke bad for you.... as opposed to what... not stale smoke :) LOL........

News flash, smoke is bad for you, stale or otherwise...

13. Yea my first time was with a bong and i got the spins. Id hate to get the spins again.

14. I don't know about where you smoke, but where I live every one brings their own bud to a sesh, clearing the smoke out which ever way you prefer is the polite thing to do for the person after you. If you let the smoke sit the flavor gets all fucked and its just not a good hit if the smoke has been sitting for a while.

15. Did i just read stale smoke isn't bad for you? lol

Smoke in ANY shape or form IS NOT healthy.

16. So you've NEVER smoked anyone up?

17. [quote name='"Shrink"']Is stale smoke bad for your health? How long does it take before your smoke turns stale? Also is ghosting bad for your health?[/quote]

1. Nope. It just tastes worse, and it *may* result in potency loss.

2. Not sure, I'd say around 5-7 seconds. You're better off just taking it in one hit and not worrying about it.

3. Yes, THC is absorbed practically instantly. There's no point to holding your hit more than 3 seconds. You could even do less, but 3 is safe. I'm basing this off legitimate research. Now, all the other stuff in the smoke? It doesn't get you high, and they are often heavier particles. This is resin and tar and stuff that is not good for your lungs/throat. If you ghost your hits will it kill you? No of course not, but it does NOT get you higher, and is only worse for your lung health.