Stairway To Heaven

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Led Zepp, Oct 5, 2012.

1. #1 Led Zepp, Oct 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2012
    Well let's start out with the lyrics and a simple question, while reading through them, what do you interperate as the meaning behind these curious lyrics..?

There have been many unbalanced opinions that this song secretly promotes satanism and evil-doing.. Although will always call bogus on such claims.. Some of the lyrics in the song are questionable to say the least...
    Many lyrics in the song truly do have 2 meanings..

Let me start by bolding all phrases that I want all our philosophical GC minds to focus on.

The sections that stand out most to me are

There's a feeling I get when I look to the west,

And my spirit is crying for leaving.
    In my thoughts I have seen rings of smoke through the trees,
    And the voices of those who stand looking.
    (it is known that the sun rises from the east and sets in the west, west being a place of darkness.. all old churches were built facing east, as opposed to facing darkness. As for the second part it is really hard to even begin breaking it down..)

And it's whispered that soon if we all call the tune
    Then the piper will lead us to reason.
    And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
    And the forests will echo with laughter.
    (this excerpt I find particularily disturbing seeing as Lucifer is known as the piper.. Incase you are wondering, Lucifer = satan..)

Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run
    There's still time to change the road you're on.
    (For which side of the path this is implying to take, is unclear yet the message is pretty bold.. They are clearly telling you to either choose the good path or the dark path)

Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know,
    The piper's calling you to join him,
    Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
    Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
    (not necessary to expand here.. it is clearly saying satan wants you to serve him in some way and all his messages will be concealed somehow in nature..)

And if you listen very hard
    The tune will come to you at last.
    When all is one and one is all
    (Clearly referring to a song played by the piper.. saying that the meaning will make sense to you eventually if you pay close attention and read into the words.. As for the last sentence.. It is really even hard to grasp what type of message they are trying to portray..

All in all, either the guys in Led Zeppelin were fucked up on some really good drugs.. Or they truly are involved with the occult and maybe even Satanism..

Anyone have anything to add here or could help break down and explain the meanings behind these lyrics?

Also dont get me wrong, I love Led Zeppelin... But clearly something deep is going on here that we can only discover with deep thought.. and remember "words have two meanings.."

Cheers everyone..

2. [quote name='"Led Zepp"']Well let's start out with the lyrics and a simple question, while reading through them, what do you interperate as the meaning behind these curious lyrics..?

There have been many unbalanced opinions that this song secretly promotes satanism and evil-doing.. Although will always call bogus on such claims.. Some of the lyrics in the song are questionable to say the least...
    Many lyrics in the song truly do have 2 meanings..

Let me start by bolding all phrases that I want all our philosophical GC minds to focus on.

The sections that stand out most to me are

There's a feeling I get when I look to the west,
    And my spirit is crying for leaving.
    In my thoughts I have seen rings of smoke through the trees,
    And the voices of those who stand looking.(it is known that the sun rises from the east and sets in the west, west being a place of darkness.. all old churches were built facing east, as opposed to facing darkness. As for the second part it is really hard to even begin breaking it down..)

And it's whispered that soon if we all call the tune
    Then the piper will lead us to reason.
    And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
    And the forests will echo with laughter. (this excerpt I find particularily disturbing seeing as Lucifer is known as the piper.. Incase you are wondering, Lucifer = satan..)

Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run
    There's still time to change the road you're on. (For which side of the path this is implying to take, is unclear yet the message is pretty bold.. They are clearly telling you to either choose the good path or the dark path)

Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know,
    The piper's calling you to join him,
    Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
    Your stairway lies on the whispering wind. (not necessary to expand here.. it is clearly saying satan wants you to serve him in some way and all his messages will be concealed somehow in nature..)

And if you listen very hard
    The tune will come to you at last.
    When all is one and one is all (Clearly referring to a song played by the piper.. saying that the meaning will make sense to you eventually if you pay close attention and read into the words.. As for the last sentence.. It is really even hard to grasp what type of message they are trying to portray..

All in all, either the guys in Led Zeppelin were fucked up on some really good drugs.. Or they truly are involved with the occult and maybe even Satanism..

Anyone have anything to add here or could help break down and explain the meanings behind these lyrics?

Also dont get me wrong, I love Led Zeppelin... But clearly something deep is going on here that we can only discover with deep thought.. and remember "words have two meanings.."

Cheers everyone..[/quote]

Illuminati

3. freemasons

4. [quote name='"Led Zepp"']Nice to see it is the season of the trolls once again.[/quote]

I'm a troll because I think of the illuminati. A lot of artists are in the illuminati, listen the the fucking backtracking of Stairway to Heaven, it's creepy.

5. It was actually meant to replace Dazed and Confused as the Concert center piece. That is one reason it is so long.

Here is some decent data about the song; :smoke:
    Stairway To Heaven by Led Zeppelin Songfacts

Robert Plant spent much of the '70s answering questions about the lyrics he wrote for "Stairway." When asked why the song was so popular, he said it could be its "abstraction," adding, "Depending on what day it is, I still interpret the song a different way - and I wrote the lyrics."

The lyrics take some pretty wild turns, but the beginning of the song is about a woman who accumulates money, only to find out the hard way her life had no meaning and will not get her into heaven. This is the only part Plant would really explain, as he said it was "a woman getting everything she wanted without giving anything back."

6. The trolls have flooded the philosophy section. Trying to add some depth to their trolling perhaps.
    I too have tried to contemplate the meaning of that song for years. So many ways to look at it..i honestly have no idea/opinion. Its just one hell of a song, probably beyond the scope of any modern musicians to come..

7. Either way I'm not a troll, just statin' my opinion.

8. Thanks for the input, very interesting to say the least and I have also researched Plant and Page's input on the subject at hand and it seems that they only ever scrape the surface and leave it at that..

I guess it is relevant to saying that a good magician never reveals the method behind his tricks :p

Agreed in so many ways and I truly believe this song has more depth to it then anything written ever since.

Well this is the philosophy section.. Not the 'drop 1 word with no explanation section' if you catch my drift..

Maybe try explaining what parts say illuminati to you and why?

Whichever way I look at this song, it has zero relevance to the illumanti or the new world order or watever have ya...

Cheers :bongin:

9. [quote name='"Led Zepp"']

Thanks for the input, very interesting to say the least and I have also researched Plant and Page's input on the subject at hand and it seems that they only ever scrape the surface and leave it at that..

I guess it is relevant to saying that a good magician never reveals the method behind his tricks :p

Agreed in so many ways and I truly believe this song has more depth to it then anything written ever since.

Well this is the philosophy section.. Not the 'drop 1 word with no explanation section' if you catch my drift..

Maybe try explaining what parts say illuminati to you and why?

Whichever way I look at this song, it has zero relevance to the illumanti or the new world order or watever have ya...

Cheers :bongin:[/quote]

Well my bad, I'm new here. I don't know a lot about it so far but I was researching about media relating to the illuminati, and it's been around since the 1700's. I found a site with backtracking of songs and Stairway to Heaven was on there. Creepy shit. But my theory is that celebrities sell their soul to the devil in exchange for fame and money. And when they realize what they've gotten into, they can't really escape it. I've researched different people and T.I for example, Notice how he practically fell off the earth? Well he tried to get out of the illuminati and now he's practically unknown.

I'm just learning this shit, so excuse me if I sound like an idiot. But that's the way I see it and it scares the hell out of me.

10. As in... literally? :confused:

11. Of course he meant literally. It's a quite common practice.

Happens just like it did in Metalocolypse.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZwgLt0QadU]Metalocalypse: Crossroads - YouTube[/ame]

12. Backtracking on stairway is questionable but do you think what you heard would have meaning if there wasn't any captions?

Also selling souls to the devils is utterly ridiculous but then again everyone has the right to freedom of speech and opinion..

I accept the fact that some people believe it is possible but how on earth would you go about

1.) contacting the devil
    2.) offering _____ in exchange for _____
    3.) completing said transaction

My second comment on this is that I am an atheist and I really dont even believe that there is a devil but in all honesty who knows..

All in all I really dont know what to believe on this subject but I presume that is why we are here right now having a philosophical conversation on the subject to either debunk or prove it to be plausible..

Does anyone else have input on 'selling their soul to the devil'?

13. I don't think it means anything. I'm reading this Zeppelin book, and it's comparing Zep to Philosophy, and one of the points brought up was Black Dog's title. The author wrote about how he thought the title was some comment about the girls of Zeppelin and how dark everything was or something. Like. No. There was a dog wandering around Headley Grange, and it happened to be black. "Hey, how about a name for this one?" "Oh I don't know... Black Dog. After that dog over there".

It's kinda like this:
    [​IMG]

14. I really do agree with you on the most part but they clearly added some twists in the song lyrics to really make you think deeper into them then you really should.. "sometimes words have two meanings", "our shadows taller then our souls", "the piper is calling you to join him".. Just some small examples

I really think LZ was onto something here seeing as the song instantly shot to one of the best songs ever written and still is to this day..

15. [quote name='"Led Zepp"']

Backtracking on stairway is questionable but do you think what you heard would have meaning if there wasn't any captions?

Also selling souls to the devils is utterly ridiculous but then again everyone has the right to freedom of speech and opinion..

I accept the fact that some people believe it is possible but how on earth would you go about

1.) contacting the devil
    2.) offering _____ in exchange for _____
    3.) completing said transaction

My second comment on this is that I am an atheist and I really dont even believe that there is a devil but in all honesty who knows..

All in all I really dont know what to believe on this subject but I presume that is why we are here right now having a philosophical conversation on the subject to either debunk or prove it to be plausible..

Does anyone else have input on 'selling their soul to the devil'?[/quote]

I'm not saying I'm right or anything it's just how I feel ya know.

16. Many appologies :eek:

17. [quote name='"Floydian"']

Many appologies :eek:[/quote]

Lmao!

18. Was LZ apart of the illuminati? HIGHly unlikely... Was LZ working for/with some satanic forces? The evidence seems to point that way. Have you heard the song backwards? It has satanism all over it. There are dark forces in the media, and most celebrities are the puppets who sold their freewill for materialistic fortune and fame. Poor puppets...

19. The only evidence is by conspiritors that want to find evidence. Plant himself was surprised that anybody would even try to listen to a record backwards. :smoke: