Stackage=meltage? (SGW)

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by Scalpemnoles, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Hey guys. I have been looking into scientific glass and frankly I'm amazed by the kind of diffusion/stackage I see. I know those two aren't the same thing, but honestly I don't know the difference.

My question is about an observation I had about the SGW waffle tube. It seems that even with modest water levels, the stacking bubbles reach above the ice pinches. Isn't this kind of a design flaw? I always figured the intent of the ice pinches was not only to elevate it out of your chambers to reduce drag, but to protect it from contact with the warmer water below, which causes the ice to melt faster.

Have you waffle owners noticed anything about the ice melt?

Thanks blades :wave:

2. Don't buy too much into ice pinches. Ice isn't all that...

3. I have the waffle with a 10-arm tree perc so I can't really say much, but to be honest, I've heard quite a bit of people talk about not using ice because it ends up leaving resin marks or something along those lines. But I don't think it would do much to the ice, and by the time you're done smoking, you'll most likely still have quite of bit yet to melt.

4. I'm starting to think this. Usually I went through a ritual involving combining really cold water with ice, but I realized I was draining my perc after almost every hit.

So is the general consensus among scientific glass owners that ice pinches are more of a hassle than a reward?

edit: Thanks for the input HCL :D

5. Most if the time the water does not stack that high in an actual hit.

You pull as hard as you can in those water tests therefore the bubbles go mad high.

It's a much slower more controlled pull.

I don't usually use the ice pinches bit every once in a while it cam be a nice change of pace.

6. Ooooooh. Okay, this is the answer I was waiting for. I guess I was only looking at people testing the waffle instead of actual rips.

I have an HBG too, by the way :smoke:

7. Awesome man HBG rule!

8. Ice pinchs to me are almost a safety factor. I know chances of it happening are not great but say a lighter or somethjng drops in ur tube, id much rather it hit an ice pinch than a perc. All my tubes have pinchs but i never use ice. Too much pain with water levels.

9. [quote name='"Flurgen"']Ice pinchs to me are almost a safety factor. I know chances of it happening are not great but say a lighter or somethjng drops in ur tube, id much rather it hit an ice pinch than a perc. All my tubes have pinchs but i never use ice. Too much pain with water levels.[/quote]

I agree with this, if it werent for ice pinches i would keep a collection of soggy bics.

10. yeah my tube has ice pinches and i honestly put ice in it once the day i got it and that was it. IDK but ice gives off and undesired taste and takes up volume in the tube and just having to fuck with the water every five minutes also gets annoying. In my eye's when it comes to ice the con's outweigh the pro's.