SST - Sprouted Seed Tea

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by GiMiK, Sep 11, 2013.

1. A few quick questions about barley sst:

once I have blended up the sprouted seeds, can the meal be filtered out till there's no more solids? Where do the enzyme's end up after blending, are they all in solution?

How long can sst be stored for? Should it be stored in the fridge? And can it be fermented for long-term storage?

Thanks for any help.

2. I filter mine with a paint filter bag. Works slick. What I filter out goes in a worm bin. I would just make what you can use and not store the sst. Sprouted seeds can be stored in the fridge for a few days, and will basically not grow the sprouts out much longer. I only sprout blue corn, for barley I buy malted (cause its too damn easy).
    os

• Like Like x 2
  3. enzymes will be in the solution yes. you can freeze sst for long term storage. if left out long enough it will turn to acid so freezing is your only option.

• Like Like x 4
  4. I know this is an Old Post. But hoping to get a little information on this. Can I Just put my barley and popcorn seeds together and make one tea out of it instead of having to apply both at different times?

• Like Like x 3
  5. I don’t see why not. Most grind the Malted grains and top dress now vs making teas as it’s faster and the results are the same. Can water in with Humic Acid to really drive it home!

“You are unlimited!”
    Prepper420’s No-Tillin Adventure!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ime the popcorn takes longer to sprout than the barley. Also, I generally use barley in veg (auxins) and popcorn in flower (cytokinins). Like Prepper said though, nothing wrong with using both whenever. It's certainly not going to hurt anything.

hth,

P-

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Thanks for the info guys!one more question.do I need to airate my slurruy so to speak?or can I just mix it into my 5 gallons of water and just apply?

• Like Like x 1
  8. No need to aerate SST.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ok thanks I didn't think so but thanks for confirming.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hello! From reading the first section of this thread, and sorry if I missed the answer in the later section, I understand its good to add aloe powder at the last possible minute to avoid degradation of active constituents.

When you water a container that is a Sub Irrigated Planter, the water wicks up by cotton string. I am about to start using SIPs, and so I have no experience with them but I am wondering in my mind: Does the string wicking action take hours, such that the aloe liquid sitting in the bottom of the SIP will degrade before it wicks thru the string to reach the soil?

11. [​IMG]
    17 gallon party tubs
    Left over sheet of FRP (fiber reinforced plastic)
    [​IMG]
    window screen on floor
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Cut notch on bottom of till pipe or it will take forever to fill, I had to tear the first one back apart and fix that little issue.
    [​IMG]
    The smallest ones really didn't work out. I still use the 5s and 17s going on ten years now. I'm going have to replace the tubs soon as the Sun has faded them badly and they are getting brittle.

The support plate is held up by a field of cut down plastic Lipton tea bottles (much thicker walls then water bottles) The wicking cups have the bottoms intact and 3 slits cut in the side to admit water but not leak perlite and stand a bit taller then the plate..
    Wicking is the 5 Perlite filled cups and 1 inch of perlite covering the support plate.
    Fill pipe has a notch cut out of the bottom.
    Drain hole is drilled just below the support plate to leave a 1 inch air gap between plate and water surface.
    ==================
    From experience I'll say only put water in the reservoir. Feed via top of soil amending and trickle down.
    BNW

• Like Like x 3
  12. "From experience I'll say only put water in the reservoir. Feed via top of soil amending and trickle down.
    BNW"

Nice home-made SIPs. I bought some that use a cotton cord to do the wicking, which I haven't started using yet. Do you add Protekt and aloe and everything via top feeding, and only put water in the base?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ive been running SIPs for years as well. Basic 5 gallon buckets set up. I try to not add anything to the reservoir but plain water otherwise they get nasty and anaerobic.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Correct.
    BNW

• Like Like x 1
  15. #715 Lemonfox69, Mar 1, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
    So its been while family, a long journey, coming back full circle.

Through my travels and focus on health and longevity I have found that one of the missing-links to human health, vitality and well-being is Enzymes. Just like our plants, and you only find enzymes in the raw and living foods. So living in the Tropics would be ideal for the human species, fresh fruits and abundance of living foods, enzymes, phytonutrients, cellular regeneration and communication at its peak... going through old notes and being reminded of how we grew the healthiest plants in the world with enzyme teas being one of the key players, kelp and sea vegetation, fulvic/humic acids, silica and minerals found in things like shilajit... Aloe vera, Coconut, all some of the healthiest and most hydrating and nourishing things both humans and plants can utilize.

What a blessing it is to come full circle. Once I started to treat myself, my body and my mind how I did my plants when I was growing and taking care of the gardens and nature around me, I experienced true health, wealth and inner-freedom. Nowadays it does not matter much where I am, as long as I maintain and attest to my inner-temple.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Speaking of SST... I am also intuitively returning to sprouting and feeding them freshly made tea myself.

Its a whole experience in itself doing everything from scrap, and I personally feel far more connected to the plant consciousness this way which feels much more natural, and they do seem to respond better, fresh is always best, as nature intended.

I personally would soak seeds overnight then drain, rinse and sprout on non-bleached paper towel in a warm/dark spot at around around 40 - 50g (dry seed) for 4 - 5 gallons of water. I would blend/strain and water in. I personally never felt the need to bubble or aerate for this method. I never wanted to risk creating acetic acid again.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. So today I did a SST watering as I found some malted barley I had leftover, stored well.

I personally never liked the idea of sprinkling it over the mulch, nor liked to move and disturb the mulch/soil-web/system, and like someone was saying somewhere earlier in this thread, I have also experienced the 'crust layer' it can create with repeated applications, you definitely need a powerful sprayer like a Chapin 1949.

I simply blended up 1/4 cup of MBG with 1/4 cup fresh Aloe vera, in 300ml kelp water and a dash of ful-power. Strained through a mesh bag into 1 gallon water and watered in, no dramas.

I think the 'soaking' especially without bubbling/aeration creates the 'acetic acid' risk that can easily kill your plants, that CC was talking about. Happened to me once before... I never risked it again.

Not sure what was the main reason to soak and bubble anyway.. than just to water in as I did here.

Crazy Enzymes huh..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1