SSD vs HHD

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by JKill, Jan 27, 2021.

1. alright so i got a new computer that has a 250G SSD and a 1TB HHD,

I downloaded/installed the Blizzard games i play (SC2, WC3, WoW) and this morning realized that everything had saved to the SSD. which is now sitting at about 60% full.

from what research i've done in the last little bit things run smoother/fast when they are loaded from the SSD. and a bit slower from the HHD.

so is that all there is to it?

so put frequently played/favorites on SSD and everything else on HHD?

can someone clarify this for me?

thanks very much to anyone with an answer

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yeah, that's the gist of it. You want your operating system and your most GPU intensive games on the SSD. You can put games like sc2 and other old games on the HDD since they'll still get high fps no matter what.

The biggest difference is load times. If you have a game with loading screens then put it on the SSD.

• Like Like x 2
  3. SSDs are much faster for certain things but some things it doesn't matter or make as much of a difference. Operating system should always be on an SSD it boots/wakes your computer so much faster. As well as programs like Spotify or chrome will open like lightning compared to a HDD. For games it can make a noticeable difference but others load fast enough anyway it's not a big deal. Like loading GTA 5 or forza horizon 3/4 is a big improvement imo but fallout or a resident evil game would load fast enough anyway.

• Like Like x 2

4. Thank you sir

5. thank you!

so its kinda sounding like i should put ALL the blizzard games on the HD. (accept maybe WoW)
    they are all 10+ year old games.

any insight on if its easier/better to delete and redownload files or just try to transfer them from one drive to another?

6. I've always redownloaded. Who knows what kind of registry links and other stuff could go wrong with a copy & paste.

• Like Like x 1
  7. thanks again

8. Since you’re playing older games HHD should work just fine.
    however if you’re to play games such as cod warzone or BF, those requires high memory and especially with multiplayer, go for the SSD.
    As to whether transfer or re-download, I would just re download because when you are transferring some files may become corrupt, and then you would have to go through bunch more other shyte to fix corrupt files or you will end up re downloading the whole game.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Transfering is faster I think for sure. But yet again if it's a small game it might not matter too much. Never done it myself.

And for keeping all the games on the HDD I would definitely do that for older games like that yeah.

• Like Like x 1
  10. awesome,

thank you everyone for the helpful responses!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Yes I boot from SSD, and keep any open world or large constantly loading games on the SSD. Story driven single player games with cut scenes and stuff tend not to suffer as much on the HDD, less stuff being loaded in randomly. Big frame drops when random objects load in on open world games like GTA are the biggest sign to move to an SSD.

• Like Like x 2
  12. All of the game libraries allow you to transfer the game to a different drive. I know it's a breeze on steam and epic games, no dramas. Same with microsoft store. It just copies over the game files to the drives, verifies integrity, and deletes the files off the original drive. No chance of corruption or broken shortcuts.

• Like Like x 2
  13. I always keep my OS on a small (tiny) SSD

and the games and shit on the larger but slow HHD

it makes the anti vir app a breeze cuts the run time to a fraction

• Like Like x 2
  14. Thank you everyone!

I ended up removing all the games, and redownloading them to the HD.

got the SSD with just OS and essential programs.

thanks again for any and all who helped out :)

• Like Like x 2
  15. Remember to turn off defragmenting, windows isn't always that smart. SSD's don't need any sort of maintenance or caching in windows, it handles it all itself

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Here is it in a nutshell from a IT professional.. SSD's are going to have faster write/read speeds and be more efficient. So in your case, yes it would have a benefit to keeping it on SSD. However, a SSD is only going to load your game quicker and the game menus/loading screens will load quicker. It will NOT boost performance such as framerates, etc. Your SSD is going to continue to be filled up with game updates, etc. And if you have a older computer, it might actually bottleneck your SSD. You can even tweak settings and simple things like startup programs in order to shorten the startup time. I have to do this because my computer doesn't support SSDs and the ones where you plug it in to a PCI adapter are no good. I just use a 500 GB HDD that's 2-3 years old, 16gb of DDR3 ram, i7-3770 and a rx-590 8gb fatboy.

17. Just so you're aware, SSDs should never be above 75% usage of storage space. This is because of a function that keeps the SSD in a healthy state called TRIM. You could get a 1TB Samsung 860 EVO and then use Samsung's data migration software found on their website to clone your 250GB. The 1TB 860 EVO is only $110 on Amazon.

18. Totally done with disk drives forever. The last "will I get my data or is it gone forever" session due to failing HDD caused me to write them off for ever. SSD or nothing these days. Since SSD are still pricey for the space I'm managing my storage more carefully while prices come down over time.

19. Thats not even a debate.
    SSD

or better yet, both.

20. Pull the HHD out. Put it in the trash. Install another SSD.

• Like Like x 1