Sprouts dying, help

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by BigGreenJoe, Jul 31, 2013.

1. The is my 2nd grow this year. Im growing 15 sweet tooth autofems from barneys farm. Plants were put under 2 40W lights after germination in a peat moss perlite homemade mix with plastic wrap over each seed to keep in moisture. They've been growing for 6 days and only 3 have sprouted. 2 days ago i was concerned that the majority werent sprouting so I sacrificed 1 plant to dig around and find what the problem was (thats why i grow 15 at a time) after digging a bit i found that the roots had shrivelled and were dying and thats when i added the plastic wrap. but now there still sprouting even though there plenty moist. Today i accidently dropped 1 and when i was cleaning up the soil i found a very long and healthy looking root but not connected to the seed. I can also see that most of the perlite in the mix is turning yellow or brown, maybe burning from too much light? Can anybody help me with this. 

2. Some guys did dodge gardening class during 5th grade and big Joe was one of them, there is more fuck ups in the above statement than I have seen in a long time, Joe go read a garden DIY book....please.

As these are autos, that means they are not really that light sensitive re. photo period.

To germinate any seed, well this is what I do

1: Place you intended seeds in a drinking glass, with warm water (80-85f)
    2: add 1 teaspoon of household bleach and stir gently
    3: allow to sit overnight in a warm place, back of fridge top, top of computer etc

4: in the morning 8 hours later drain to a damp kitchen towel
    5: leave on the damp towel, for 2-3 days
    6: once the white tails are 1/2 inch long gently transplant to seedling mix in 4 inch pots, keep warm until the first leaves show
    7: leave the plant under a 23w cfl or 4ft florescent tube until about 4-6 inchs tall

Do not cover the seedlings with plastic or hinder evaporation in any way ...will encourage root root or damping off

Note: I prefer to add a teaspoon of bleach to the initial mixture to reduce any fungi attack

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ok ya i probly fucked some stuff up cus this is my first season doing it, but how do i fix my current situation

4. Okay man,

Lets go ahead and say keep everything that has not sprouted somewhere warm and dark, not under light at all. Seedlings are very easy to kill by overwatering, they wont die instantly from not getting watered, so go by the weight to decide when to water again once they have sprouted.. pick em up and feel the water ya get me? DONT OVER WATER EM! Six days seems a bit long but just ride it out its not too long yet. Honestly I would not ever put bleach in any water that is going to touch a plant, the guy above ^ here may have great results but personally I would say never, ever do that. But I do agree with him, you got alotta learnin to do bud, I suggest you head over to a thread started by SG1, the cheap old basterd one. Sorry I'm on my phone and can't post a link, but start at the beginning and read the first 100 pages minimum, plus take some notes/write down post numbers for especially tasty nuggets of info. It is a sticky so it'll be right at the top of the list, should be in the indoor growing section. Good luck. Start a journal for these girls. Oh yea and I would suggest you take that plastic wrap off everything, just keep the soil moist with dechlorinated water until they hatch out.. then begin the lifting method to decide when to water. Seriously though, check out that thread

5. Ok thanks, and for the record I have started 10 fem successfully this spring that are outdoors pretty much the same way and didnt have any problems so i just assumed i did something right. I'll definitely check out the thread tho.  

6. Okay cool! It is filed like this .. medical marijuana cultivation> indoor growing then it is the first one... old school grow advice. Just read it as far as ya can and take notes, great starting point for do's, dont's, and general common sense as it pertains to growing.