Sprouting and early plant life *Help*

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by NortheRnPurPz, Jul 29, 2011.

1. I have germinated a seed and am about to transplant it into 16 oz. cups. Now i have tried growing but my seeds died shortly after sprouting. I would like to know how often i should water my plants for the first couple weeks, when to transplant, and how much light it needs early on. Like i said i have tried growing and after about 1-2 weeks three of my sprouts had died and then 2 weeks later when i tried to feed my surviving plant and it killed it! I have a 400 w mh/hps light and a good ventilation system. I appreciate any help

P.s the soil they will be placed in is ffom, i heard that it should be fine for plants to grow in at an early age

2. How many cups can you put one seed in?

Read the permanent posts at the top of this section. Don't just post a general question asking how to grow pot indoors. The info you need is all already here.

3. Also if your putting sprouts into a solo cup.. if you water the dirt before you put the sprout in i rarely have to add any water till I transplant 3 weeks later...

Sprouts dont drink alot...

4. That early dying off business sounds like "damping off" maybe. It happens with all kinds of plants Heating the soil to kill off the bad guys before you use it is one way to help insure a clean enviroment for your babies.
    Hope your planning on an indoor grow cause it's getting late in the season in N.A.
    peace

5. I water sprouts just like I water all my plants. I use coco for everything, including seedlings. I just water when the top starts to dry out. The amount of water though is very very little, I start my seeds in germination trays filled with coco, so it's only a little bigger than a Rapid Rooter, etc. To water I use an old Mt Dew bottle, the 20 oz size, and I drill a bunch of small holes in the cap to allow water through. It works perfectly for watering seedlings.

6. Thanks for all the help. To be safe im gonna just buy some seedling soil and only water it about once a week, since over watering and early fertilization was my problem with my last grow i believe

7. Water when your plants need it. When this is is afffected by a lot of things, But it generally is easy to tell when your soil is dry enough to need water. As they get big, sometimes you'll water one plant and not another.

8. Water when they are dry, but do so judiciously. In solo cups, I gave mine a small amount of water about every three days. Stick your finger in the soil, down an inch or two. If it is still damp, it does not need water right then. It is normal for the top to dry out before the root area, at least it is for mine under the same light. Some will recommend learning to judge by the weight of your cups or pots. Pick them up after watering and notice how heavy they are, when they get lighter, it is time to water again. I prefer the former method, as the pots seem the same weight to me. Find what works for you.

Put the germed seed in cup of soil once the tap root comes out well. Transplant to a larger pot when you can look at the holes in the bottom of your cups and see roots filling them out. This was at about day 10 after sprout fro me, but may vary for you.

As long as the temp is ok at your plant level, go ahead and put them on whatever vegging light cycle you choose. Most seem to either do 18/6 or 24/0 with some going straight to 12/12 but I would stick with the more conventional schedules for your first grow.

What soil are you using? If your using miracle grow, or some other pre nuted soil, you most likely wouldn't need to feed at two weeks. Soil with too many nutes could also be killing off your young sprouts.

Read the stickies in this forum and ask more specific questions once you have a base knowledge and you will a lot more people willing to help you, just some friendly advice.

9. Could you possibly be releasing them into open air to early?

a while back a friend of mine tried to do is own grow. his seeds cracked and he released them into the open air and the sprouts shriveled up and died.

Whenever I grow from seed either you grow with SOIL or Hydro you still have other elements that have a huge effect into your grow. The environmental elements that takes the strongest effect in sprouting seeds is Humidity and heat.

After your seeds have sprouted try keeping them under a humidity dome. I personally do not put my sprouts into soil or hydroton until I see roots come out of the rapid rooter pellet.

Keeping your plants under a humidity dome will ensure they do not dry up and shivel till they die. Also do not use any nutrients or fertilizers at first. Just plain ph'd water for the first week to 3 weeks depending on the strain.

I hope that helps Happy growing!