Spotty/Discolored Leaves

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by gingerbud, Nov 4, 2017.

1. IMG_5002.JPG IMG_5003.JPG I have been noticing spots on the leaves of my plants and I am hoping that someone may recognize the symptoms I am observing. I have noticed spots on 5-10% of each of my plants at various regions (top/bottom) I attached a couple of pics to this post for reference.

There has been a couple of instances of 79-81 degree temps, wind is reasonable and just enough to keep the air nice and stirred, I make it a point to let the soil get dry before watering. I try to keep temps stable but there has been flux from 70-80 degrees. Most all of the time temps are at 73-77F. A few weeks back I sprayed the plants down w/ Azamax thoroughly. I do not suspect pests and have not had any issues with pests.

Anybody have a clue? What do I need to do? Help!

2. First pic looks like calcium deficiency, second pic looks like phosphorus deficiency.

3. Looks like you have plenty of nitro. very dark green. Don't add any more of that.

4. I'm flushing currently at a pH of 6.2 and have been using the FF trio per recipe. I am thinking of CalMag with pH'd water my next round of watering - I have another month of vegetation yet. I have seen more and more of these spotty leaves. I suspect I will have more pics to post.

5. The small speckled rusty spots are calcium deficiency. IMO GH calimagic is the best cal/mag on the market. Only 1-0-0 so it doesn't mess with your other NPK routine too much. Other brands of cal/mag are up to 4% nitro.

6. Thanks for the heads up! I have the Botanicare CalMag but it is a 2-0-0. I will get a rush order of the Calimagic and put it to work. I used hardly any CalMag on my last crop and honestly thought that tap water didn't have the need to supplement CalMag. I assumed that CalMag was more geared towards DWC and hydro setups but I am learning. This is only my 2nd crop. If my issue is a CalMag issue, I will be relieved. I was thinking a fungus. I will stay on top of this and hope you will give some input on my issue.

7. It's hit and miss if your tap water has enough cal/mag or not. If it doesn't then you need it. It's the 4th and 5th most consumed element by a plant behind NPK.

8. Dolomite lime is the goto organic calmag supplement. If you use a medium like promix you can mix 2tbsp per gallon of medium with dolomite lime and after 6-8 weeks top dress a tsp every other feeding you'll never need cal/mag. Dolomite lime is crushed rock made of calcium and magnesium. It's quite cheap but takes time to be processed and isn't in direct plant uptake form like hydro calmag supps.

9. Dolomite lime is also a ph buffer and will correct your ph.

10. Don't let the soil get too dry. Under-watered plants can result in various combinations of nutrient deficiencies, especially when the soil has very high nutrient concentrations.

11. Will be watering in the morning... My last watering was pH'd water only. I picked up some CaliMagic and thinking of watering again with no nutes except the CalMag. Any thoughts? I've raised my LED light (Mars Hydro II 1200) from 24" up to 27-28" thinking I might be inducing some light burn but based on my last grow experience, I had my light just as close and had no issues just nice growth! Looking forward to adding a 2nd Mars Hydro II 1200 light that was suppose to arrive today but I wasn't around to sign for it. I sure wish I had a better grip on my ladies current state of health before adding the 2nd light since I will have to possibly deal with some excess heat. All new growth looks healthy but some (not all) older fan leaves get spotty and discolored. I have some new pics to post attempting to show intermediate to late stages of the spotty/discolored leaves. Still thinking this is a CalMag defiency?

IMG_5015.JPG IMG_5016.JPG IMG_5018.JPG IMG_5019.JPG IMG_5020.JPG

12. I supplemented CalMag over the last 2 feeds and plant health hasn't got any better. In fact, things appear to have gotten worse. I have been double checking the pH at 5.9 - 6.1 so I think I'm good there. I've mildly flushed with maybe 10% runoff a couple of times since I've noticed spotty leaf conditions and I have kept up with nutes - same nute routine I have used in the past w/no issues. I've been thinking that my issues might have been temp fluctuations so I got a sentinel controller and have temps held at 73-77F. No improvements and like I said getting worse. I've also been holding humidity at 55%. Maybe my humidifier is misting mold and these plants have a fungus? What's weird is I have 1 out of my 6 plants that looks awesome - not sure why one plant would be heathy and the others not so much... New growth is still ok but 30-40% of the rest of the plant has spotty leaves. I have updated pics - any advice would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! I'm about ready to go into flower and need this shit to disappear.

IMG_5077.JPG IMG_5078.JPG IMG_5080.JPG IMG_5090.JPG IMG_5091.JPG

13. ****UPDATE****

I started this thread so I might as well finish what I started, especially if it will help another farmer.

This is my 2nd grow so I am still learning and consider myself a beginner that enjoys the shit out of this very rewarding hobby. TBone offered some advice and I do believe he was right although I questioned his advice in light of myself not providing accurate information. This grow occurred during a summer/winter transition and I did battle with temps. I also struggled a bit with keeping humidity where it should be. I also added a light and doubled heat generation. I added a new light and created additional heat with the potential of light burn. I added fans in attempt to stir and exhaust the air potentially causing windburn. I chased all these problems and spent a bunch of money doing so. I bought an air conditioner, ducting, a sentinel environmental controller, and a remote temp/humidity monitor (sensor push).

All this and my pH pen was out of calibration. I had been Water my these plants at 4.5-5.2 according to my estimations. I'm not sure if that is acidic enough to burn up plants but it locks up and does not absorb vital nutrients.

Maybe I have a cheap pH pen but I will certainly keep it in check from now on. I have noticed recovery in my plants so I hope to have a bountiful crop after this lessons learned exercise.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1