spots on leaves pics included(looked at plant abuse chart could not ID)

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by wildkfx, Feb 20, 2011.

1. These spots started to form yesterday and are starting to get worse. The PH did take a dive a few days ago. Can anyone please help me ID what the spots are from. here are the specs.
    2.5 weeks into flower
    400 hps
    bubble bucket hydro
    lucas formula
    ph usually 5.8 but a few days ago dropped to 4.9
    water temp 65f
    humidity 35-40%
    temp 75f day, 65f night
    I din't see any bugs and see no signs of bugs

Attached Files:

2. Having same issues since week two, now 2 weeks in flower and no change. Spots take over leaf, than the tips dry up and leaf turns yellow. Have not found a solution so will be following this closely. All the mag deficiency solutions did nothing!

3. Looks like calcium deficency, low ph locksout calcium.

4. Are you sure?

How to Eliminate Spider Mites

5. Looks like a calcium problem. If your pH dropped to 4.9, I'd say that has something to do with it. Keep it around 5.8 and monitor your plants for signs of improvement. If the problem continues to get worse and your pH is stable, you might just have a deficiency. Add a calcium supplement.

6. I was thinking calcium lockout but none of the pics I found looked like mine. I did a nutrient solution change before posting this thread. The curent ph is 5.5, still a little low but i'm slowly raising it to 5.8 where it is on a normal day. Tororrow I'll also check it for spider mites and report back. Thanks for the advise everyone.

7. #7 heaphyhigh, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2011
    ^ It may pay to add some cal/mag, or calcium nitrate/epsom salt to cover your bases. Also calibrate ph meter as often as you can.

8. There is a new product I heard about for mites called SMK Spider Mite Killer.....
    I met the owner of the company... its all organic....
    just incase you got mites

9. I checked for spider mites using the paper under the plant and shaking the branches. None fell onto it so thats probably not my issue. My nearest hydro stroe is over an hour drive so I don't there very often. I also Keep a saltwater fish tank that I use calcium carbonate in. Can I use that as a calcium suppliment if I use a small dose? Sorry if thats a stupid idea.

10. Yeah it's definitely not spider mites. They leave very distinctive white marks. Like tiny white specks (that's where they sucked the juices out of the plant). And when you look underneath the leaf, you'll see tiny black dots, very easy to see with a magnifying aid. Those are the mites. What you have are brown/yellow spots with sharp, outlined edges. This is the tell-tale sign of a calcium problem. This can be caused by a deficiency, or a lockout due to acidic pH.
    Now you said your pH did drop to 4.9, that would definitely cause a bit of a lockout. Have you monitored your pH level and made sure it's stable? If not, I would not look into giving it a supplement of any kind, it wouldn't do any good if it's locked-out.

11. Yes the ph is getting back on track. I drained the old nutrient solution out and put fresh in. Today the ph is sitting at 5.7. I'm raising it slowly because I know some nutrients are only absorbed within a small ph range. When I changed the nutrients the ph started at 5.3 and I'm aiming for my normal ph of 5.8. I haven't seen any more spots forming but I'll keep a close eye on it.

12. A calcium problem, when it gets worse, will look like this. The leaf will get more yellow, the number and size of the brown spots will increase. And if let go long enough, the tips and edges will look brown and crumpled, and feel crispy to the touch. This plant experienced a calcium lockout due to low pH. Notice the how most of the spots are very small and circular instead of big and blotchy, and notice the sharp outlined edges of the spots. This is what a calcium deficiency/lockout looks like.

Attached Files: