Spontaneous Order

Discussion in 'Politics' started by aaronman, Sep 22, 2009.

1. So your saying without rules to keep you in line, you'd actually choose to be one of the idiots you were talking about previously? :p

2. No, I'd be doing it on purpose.:p

3. You're an idiot if you ram people from behind on purpose.

4. Of course, but I'm sure you know I'm delving into tomfoolery here.

5. I agree, though I also understand his line of reasoning. I find people that do stupid shit unintentionally more idiotic than those that do it intentionally. At least he's aware of his bad choice and its adverse repercussions.

6. I think we should have a rep system in cars so people know how much they suck.

7. I can't imagine those people you ram into from behind will be all that happy, better hope they don't take out their anger on you. :p

8. Damn, haha, that's true as hell. You can connect this in lots of ways, look at the gun laws in chicago, then look at the gun murder rates. Look at how we banned spray paint, then go ahead and look at all the grafitti haha, they don't seem to work too well.

9. #29 letsgetPOD, Sep 23, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
    lets nerf the world? We dont wanna let people hurt themselves. Im tired of this perpetual childhood we are living through

10. Yea, sometimes I get confused and think people liked getting rammed from behind. Maybe I'm getting my activities mixed up. :D

11. If you want to read more into Spontaneous Order, a great book is the 'Price of Everything', from Russel Roberts. It's a phenomenal book.

12. in italy they also have a code of ethics. the slower cars move out of the way for the faster cars, ive seen it done while i was there for a weekend. if you come up on someones ass they will in fact pull off the road and let you pass most times.

13. We're taught that the right hand lane (seeing as we drive on the left) should only be used for overtaking. Isn't this the norm the world over? Mind you it's illegal to undertake here as well...

14. What's undertake mean?

It's a traffic law in most states "Slower traffic Keep Right" or "Keep right Except to Pass", and common etiquitte even in states without laws, but the law is never enforced and most people (depending on the state) have no clue.

15. The best option to make our roadways safe is to ban movies, television shows, and video games that glorify fast and reckless driving.

16. Undertake would mean (for you driving on the right) someone driving past someone in the right hand lane while they're driving in the left hand lane. Obviously vice versa here.

We're taught from the moment we get in a car when learning that keeping left (again for you right) is amongst the most important things when driving. Only go in the right hand lane to overtake or to turn right. By doing so and making undertaking illegal you get less people that sit at 20mph below the speed limit in the overtaking lane.

I'm all for removing speed limits though. I wish it was just like much of the German Autobahns where there is simply an 'advised' speed limit. Remember many of the speed limits we came up with are 40 or 50 years old; cars didn't have air bags, ABS, traction control, crumple zones. It's much safer to drive at speed now than ever before.

17. Remove speed limits. No one really sticks to them, and the police use it as a trap to ensnare drivers and steal their money. Take this example.

There's this big hill in my town. It's a 50 (kilometers, you yank bastards :p) zone all the way until right in the middle of this hill, where it changes to 70. Barely anyone lives in this area by the way, it's not like anyone could get killed. Now, while driving down this hill one day (on the way out to purchase some delicious cannabis actually), I got zapped by a motherfucking speed camera that was placed literally 2 fucking meters from the 70 zone sign. So, the idea is that you're supposed to maintain a steady 50km RIGHT UP UNTIL you get to this fucking 70 sign, at which point it's instantly safer and legal to floor it up to 70km - as though you cross a magic fucking line and it becomes totally acceptable. I was doing 64km, 2 meters before this 70 sign. Now I've gotta pay $150, or go to court to contest the fine and the bullshit moneygrubbing location of this speed camera. Straight up coercion. Fuckin' sigh...

Final note, while speed limits should be abolished, drunken driving is a major, major peril and must continue to be persecuted. The reasons should be glaringly obvious, so I won't go over the reasons... perhaps all cars should be mandatorily fitted with a 'breathing device' that checks your blood alcohol and if it is above the thresh-hold, your car won't start?

18. Got a ticket, right here. :wave:

19. Driving laws are about conformity. Most of them don't make sense, speed limits are far too low, stop signs are bullshit, etc., and if you don't follow the rules, you get slapped with a ridiculous ticket, points on your license, and higher insurance costs. All because the Government has a quota. That's pretty perverse shit. If you conform to the superficial rules, you don't have to endure a superficial punishment, dealt by an over-arching, out-of-control Government.

My biggest pet peave is stop signs. I failed my drivers test three times because I have a bad habit (According to The State) of 'rolling' through stop signs when no one is there (THE HORROR). Imo, they should get rid of 99% of Stop Signs, and replace them with yield signs, and bump up speed limits by 10mph everywhere. That would make driving far less paranoia-inductive.

20. Just saw this awesome footage from San Francisco 1905, reminded me of this thread:

[Trip Down Market Street Before the Fire, A] : Miles Brothers : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

:eek::cool::smoke: