Spike Lee is a hack.

Discussion in 'Movies' started by DirtySix, Sep 4, 2011.

1. I'll never have respect for this piece of shit (as if I did in the first place) for playing along with this Oldboy "remake".

Hollywood is doing its level best to ruin good cinema these days.

2. Suss the 25th hour.

Sure, there have been quite a few poor remakes but this may turn out to be a good film.

3. No.

I guarantee it won't.

In fact, I can look at Spike Lee and know he's going to ruin the entire tone and purpose of the movie.

You don't remake one of the most cerebral films to ever grace cinema if you're a piece of shit director like Spike Lee, getting piece of shit actors like Christian Bale and Josh Brolin.

Neither of those actors are capable of pulling off the roles correctly.

And he's definitely not going to come fucking close to the single-shot fight scene that the movie is famous for.

4. They are definitely not 'piece of shit actors'.

Although I dislike Spike Lee too it's better than what was going to happen before; Spielberg and Will Smith. :hide:

also:
    lol overrated much?

5. I doubt it. Josh Brolin as Oh-Daesu? It doesn't work. Will Smith is infinitely more capable of the role than Josh Brolin. :rolleyes:

First person to ever call Oldboy overrated?

6. I wonder what Spike Lee did to inspire this type of love and fascination. :rolleyes:

7. You're the first person I've heard call it 'one of the most cerebral films to ever grace cinema'. I'm not saying it's bad at all (I enjoyed it), but cmon man.

8. #8 Oblivion420, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Being an awful director, remaking a movie to make a quick buck.

9. Most people I know that have watched it calls it as such. Do you want to continue with this pissing contest of exceedingly small opinion samples based on an arbitrary statement in my post or have a discussion?

10. Why are they even remaking it? What could they possibly add to a Japanese B-movie? It's not even gonna translate well into an American movie. The story was so confusing/stupid that only Japanese people could get it.

Though, the hammer fight scene was pretty badass. I was impressed when I found out it was all in one shot, though.

11. wat.
    It's not japanese.
    and it's not a b-movie.

12. To each it's own. :cool::smoke:

13. I was just saying that there are plenty more 'cerebral' films out there, Oldboy isn't as good as you say it is. I enjoyed it still, and it will be better than the remake no doubt.

But if the remake is bad, it'll be mostly down to Spike Lee, not Bale or Brolin. Western remakes of Asian films have almost always been crap (few exceptions: Fistful of Dollars trilogy, The Departed etc) and this probably won't be any different. Knowing Lee he'll probably throw in some more racism.:rolleyes:

No need to get your panties in a twist - I am discussing.

14. In your opinion.

The fact that you think Bale nor Brolin could do no harm to the spirit of the remake only makes me understand more why you don't think so much of the original as I do.

There are subtleties and nuances to the culture that Bale and Brolin are both going to miss whether on account of the shitty script, spike lees shitty vision, or their complete lack of awareness of the nuances themselves.

Along with the fact that the two are essentially typecast and I have yet to see them play roles that deviate very far from each other. And as such, the two roles they are set to be in are so far removed from everything else they've played that it's a solid prediction they'll fuck them up bad.

15. For one thing whatever production studio is doing it (I haven't checked) would more likely than not approached Spike and asked him to direct. I don't think Spike goes "oh cult foreign film, a chance for me gorge on the world's culture and piss of a bunch of people".

For another, actors do not get to the elite status in Hollywood like Brolin and Bale have without being able to be more than one character and without understanding nuances of people. Take it from an actor, you get shitty parts that are so far from yourself when you are in this industry be it on stage or indie films.

16. Spike was picked out and elevated to his current status, not because he is talented, he's not, he is the lucky recipient of the "token black guy in a traditionally white industry" award. The fact that he is duplicitous enough to be a racist black who totally sold out is beside the point.

17. He had a choice. He took it. He gets the blame.

Well, I haven't seen any of these "elite status" actors and actresses get an asian film right, yet. Why should I regard your opinion that they can when western cinema is batting a ZERO on asian nuances so far?