SpiderMites @ Harvest... what to do

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Hibonus, Dec 7, 2009.

1. So I've had SpiderMites since my first week of flowering... they gravitate toward the top of the plant ( where its warm ) and I spray them off every couple days with a spray bottle, it keeps them in check, no noticeable damage to the plants from the mites... but it's almost harvest time now and I'm wondering, when I cut these down, How do I get rid of the Spidermites and their eggs without spraying the plants? Don't wanna get my buds wet... don't want mites on my drying buds...

I was thinking about putting the bud in a ceramicware and throwing it in the oven at low heat ( 150-200 degrees ) for a little while... Fry those bastards. Is that a stupid idea?

Any other ideas?

What can I do?

2. We'll I wouldn't spray the plants while they are that far into flowering.... The usually tend to make webs on the the fan leaves no? If it's almost harvest i'd get rid of the most infested area's (Like large fan leaves you may not need).

worst case scenario is that they web on your bud a bit.. I would say remove the bulk.. then just rip the web off.. it's not like their going to do much damage.. they chill on the leaves.

Do not, put the buds in the oven.

3. They're hanging out on the top colas.. as close to the light as they can get.

So you don't think they'll be a big problem when I cut the plants down and hang them to dry?
    Don't they eat the plant?

4. Well, once you chop it hang the whole thing upside down. I'm pretty sure the Mites will go to the top of what they're on naturally. Just put a piece of sticky tape there on the stock to catch them as they go up. If this is wrong some one please tell me. I don't remember where I heard it or read it, never tried it before though.

5. Wait; post pictures? How can you see a spidermite on a bud??? that would be really difficult wouldn't it?

6. no, not stupid at all.
    If they aren't covered in pesticide, you can smoke it. i think your idea of the low heat application would probably kill them all, and so would just popping the buds into the freezer for a few days i would think.

7. Whatever you do just make sure you clean the hell out of your grow room and tools. Once you get spider mites and infestation usually follows and you will be battling them for a while. They suck!

8. See if you have an Orchard Supply Hardware (OSH) or similar and get some ladybugs, they will eat them up yum.
    Or get some Neemoil, I've been using Neem II by Greenlight, Ready To Use.

9. Or the Co2 trick:smoke:

10. to get rid of that infestation. first get take the plant out of the room. you must get the infestation out of grow space or it will return. clean it and seal it up better. then take your plant to the kitchen sink (note my tapwater has a neutral ph if yours doesnot you will need to take a 2 liter soda bottle filled with distilled water poke 3 holes in cap and squeeze for pressure) use kitchen hose sprayer and througly wash mites and eggs from plants leaves and stems. then take a spray bottle with some mild hand soap (about a teaspoon per half gallon) and gently coat leaves and stem with soapy solution. i also like to replace a good inch of the soil on top and treat with soapy water also. this method will work at all stages of growing. without harming plant growth or bud potency. hope this helps