Spider webs on top of soil?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by blackey, May 28, 2012.

1. So I noticed a while back 1 or two of my seedlings in their cups were starting to get this white spider web-ish shit on the top layer. I just scooped it out and nothing came back. Today I went to my grow, EVERY one of my seedlings has this spider web-like fluffy shit over the tops of the soil. What is this! I will be dam pissed off if this kills my plants.

But heres the thing, My oldest afghan received nothing but native soil, unlike my other seedlings who have peat moss, a bit of neem cake, and perlite in their soil with native soil, but they ALL have this spider web-ish shit all over. It is not on the plants but its just on the top of the soil and on the sides. It can not be because the soil wont drain, because my soil used on my oldest afghan drains perfectly, and has these spiderweb things.

I would post pics but none of my cameras have the resolution to capture this. There are no bugs that i can see in the soil, just this white shit it looks sorta fluffy and i can drag my finger along the soil to remove it, but it grows back.

I am (trying) to dig my holes to plant my oldest afghan into its permanent home but I stopped because I can not dig anymore than 1.5 feet into the soil because the clay is just so dam hard. And I think my plants starting to get effected because of this, its starting to not look so green, I assume its slowly becomming root bound, I really need to get a round tip shovel ASAP

2. Sounds like fungi to me?

3. Does it look like this?

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      508.9 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      355.5 KB
      Views:
  4. Yes it looks like that but its not as thick it has not built up to that point but its very light and covors the whole top of the soil. I dug it all out with my finger but im sure it will grow back. I am plating with my grow medium i just harvest an 11 block of coco coir right now i got about 6 cubic feet of coco coir i filled up a 28.8 kg bucket about 5-6 times it looks to be about 5 or 6 cubic feet its still a bit chunky i guess the 5 gallons to 1 brick ratio was not enough so i am goin thru and breaking up the chunks.

So is this a major problem?

5. Just as Seandawg stated, a fungi that is commonly called Santa's Beard. Harmless and probably a good sign that your soil is supporting life.

6. Oh, okay thanks for the reply, I thought it may be an infection. I thought it may have been the MG peat moss but since they all have them and not all have peat moss thats not true.

I just mixed 50/50 coco coir and native soil and it drains!!! Im so excited =D Now I need to figure out exactly how much peat moss + vermiculite to add and im good to go!

7. Potentially yes. But unlikely. Make sure that the fungi isnt starting to crawl up you plant itself and you should be fine. If it does start going up and attacking your plant, then you could have some problems. Good luck!

8. Watch for color changes!!!!

9. ^^^ rock solid advice.

10. Any of youse guys do the Podcast deal?

11. I just mixed 50/50 coco coir and native soil and it drains!!! Im so excited =D Now I need to figure out exactly how much peat moss + vermiculite to add and im good to go!

You're adding vermiculite for which reason? Just wondering...

12. I actually do. On my long travels for work I run assorted sci-fi and other stories/short stories thru my Blackberry and then car stereo to kill some time.

Special reason?

13. #14 ComfreyQuery, May 29, 2012
    Last edited: May 29, 2012
    Jerry

Kewl! Go to the iTunes and do a Search on Ram Das - there will be 5 and the one that you might really be interested (as far as fungi - LOL) is the one titled Journey To The East

That should give you something to think about - LOL

14. CQ

I know how you are a rasta man at heart, try looking up a pod cast by Mikey Dread called "dread at the controls". Some prime stuff.

15. Done and dided

16. I have no clue why I said vermiculite, vermiculite soaks up water, perlite is what im using perlite is what helps drainage right?

I think I am going to get rid of the peat moss all together, i did a small scale 50/50 mix with coco coir + native clay soil and it drained, but I mixed together a big bucket of 50/50 coco coir and native soil, didnt mix a whole lot of peat moss, but the soil didnt drain at all i dumped about 10 ounces of water into the 16 ounce cup and nothing drained unlike the mix with just coir and native soil that drained with the 10 ounces of water, it puddled up and took a while to even seep into the soil. Or maybe its the perlite? I dunno gatta so some more experimenting

I dont think the drainage should be too too much of a problem as long as I do not water it with too much water so that it HAS to have some drain out, i just dont want to rot the roots because theres a pool of water at the bottom of my hole.

17. blackey

The one that would really know is Microbeman. Mycorrhizal Fungi; Myths and Truths is his thread in the Stickies area - you won't find anyone on this or any other forum that has studied soil fungi and their relationship in the entire process to the extent that he has/is.

HTH

CQ

18. If you find any of these around your home then I can help!!!

[​IMG]