Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Spider mites on weed

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Smoke on water, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Well I heard someone else in another thread mention it... And now I am paranoid. How do I know if my weed has these? And how do I kill them?:eek:

2. theyre coming. for you.

• Like Like x 1
  3. It's more of a growers problem i think, if you see shit crawling around on your bud you have bugs in it, and you kill them by burning them ;) or throwing it out

4. It's not really a problem unless your a grower.

5. neem oil and a shop vac will get rid of them. only for growers tho

6. But like... What if growers sell me infested weed??

7. Blaze them spider mites up!!!:hello:

8. I'm afraid of bugs. Especially spiders, and mites. I cringe at the thought of that.

9. I heard they can actually survive the smoking process and lay eggs in your lungs. Then you're fucked.:smoke:

10. uhmm I didn't need to read that...
    Please confirm with proof :)

until that time, it's not true because scooby doo said so :cool:
    besides would you rather trust Mr. Stu or a dog!

11. any flame will kill them instantly. come on guys wake the fuck up

12. [quote name='"5cooby Doo"']

uhmm I didn't need to read that...
    Please confirm with proof :)

until that time, it's not true because scooby doo said so :cool:
    besides would you rather trust Mr. Stu or a dog![/quote]

Definitely not true!! Spider mites won't stay on harvested bud. They like the moisture n such on tha plant

13. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JehjqlzXwIQ]Alien - Extended Chestburster - YouTube[/ame]

14. Okay, here is the real answer. The guy I quoted is kind of right.

You will notice spider mites on your bud if you see some web, I doubt the grower would even let that slip by. The mites MAY be stuck in the bud and are probably dead, the odds of that even getting by is slim.

What you really have to worry about, and the true way to decide if the weed is safe or not, is to look at it very closely with some sort of magnifying tool. The feces from the spiders is the dangerous part, you don't want to inhale spider shit. It will look like tiny blacks dots and you could even see outlines of dead spider body parts.

15. Look very very close on your budd, if you see little black dots or white moving, or standing their still they might be the shit from the mite or the actal spider mite.

16. You do not have spider mites on your weed. And you never will. Yes, I am 100% sure.

17. #17 1sttimegrower, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2012
    This. They don't touch dried plant material; they would all leave.
    If you want to know, grab a magnifying glass. Your trim leaves will have white spots on them; this is the spider mite damage. Very rarely will you see webbing; if it exists, it'll be most visible at the base of the nug. It'll look somewhat(not really) like mold, but behave differently. If you have it all over you nug (IE, really REALLY bad infestation) you'd most likely make a post "is this mold!?" when you grab it.

You might see some dead spidermites here and there if you scope it too. I never have though, on any of my outdoor. (havn't gone through and thoroughly checked EVERY nug though)

Someone mentioned poop earlier. And why would you not want to smoke that?; spider mite poop is only digested plant juices, and you are now smoking the whole bud. The only issue would be mold; I've seen mold grow on caterpillar poop. That poop is much larger, though (more food). Likely if numbers got so high that poop would be an issue, so too would be webbing. And you'd notice it; the buds would look sickly on pickup for sure; over-infested plants won't produce nearly anything as good as healthy plants.

Don't quote me on the poop though; could be that micro-turds feeding a colony of a few mold spores in pockets happening throughout the nug could be dangerous.

*edit if I remember, I'll grab some nugs I had put aside for hash making that have some spider mite damage and slight webbing. I'll highlight a picture of whats what and upload it (if it turns out worth uploading, haha)

**edit Couldn't find anything worth taking a picture of

18. Completely incorrect, they are burnt to a crisp and stay in the ashes.

19. But what if you're a shower?

LOL j/k im high right now and that seemdc clever. we'll see if it rlly is clever when i come down fro mthis hi.

I just realized shower as in taking a shower and shower as in showing something are spelled the same. How do you know which is which??

20. Live mites will leave the plants to find living plants to survive and dead mites will possibly still be on the plant but probably trimmed away by grower.

And im sure all of us have smoked microscopic bugs on some outdoor or some bud the growers cant find every1 everytime haha I am sure it is killed by the flame.