Spider mites? Need help!!!

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by eyeswideopened, Feb 20, 2012.

1. So I was given 4 plants today that are already a foot tall and they are not looking to hot.

They look like they have nute burn and/or nitrogen def.

But the part that has me worried are these spots on a couple of leaves. I think I might have spider mites in the early stages, but other than a some seedlings in my cab these are the only plants I have ever seen. So I would love to hear from some experienced growers who have more knowledge with this.

If you have any questions just ask I will try to find an answer.

image-401805178.png

image-1906676059.png

2. Yes, it looks like you have a Deficiency, possible Heat issues, and what looks like it could be a pest problem. If you want to check for Spider Mites, get a Hand Held Telescope for about $20 online or at Radio Shack and check the underside of the leaves. You will see them clear as day, and the eggs they have laid as well.

Plus you will need the telescope come harvest time anyway.

3. [quote name='"Beachbound"']Yes, it looks like you have a Deficiency, possible Heat issues, and what looks like it could be a pest problem. If you want to check for Spider Mites, get a Hand Held Telescope for about $20 online or at Radio Shack and check the underside of the leaves. You will see them clear as day, and the eggs they have laid as well.

Plus you will need the telescope come harvest time anyway.[/quote]

Yea I am definately going to be picking up a hand held telescope. I was going to wait till later when I started flowering to get one but oh well. I really hope it's not spider mites.

Thanks for the help

4. And if it is, here are some less toxic ways to deal with them! Remember, this IS going into your body!

How to Get Rid of Spider Mites on Houseplants - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

I am a big fan of insecticidal soaps (Dr Bronner's peppermint is my favorite). Insects do not develop tolerance to being slowly suffocated as the soap dries on them! I spray just before "lights out" and leave the fan running. The next day, I just rinse the plants off with warm water. The soap will be broken down by soil bacteria into ferts for your plants! You DO have to repeat every 3rd day for a while, so... Spray day, rinse day, rest day, and back to spray day!

How well insecticidal soaps work depends on how well you wet down your plant!

Granny

5. [quote name='"Storm Crow"']And if it is, here are some less toxic ways to deal with them! Remember, this IS going into your body!

How to Get Rid of Spider Mites on Houseplants - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

I am a big fan of insecticidal soaps (Dr Bronner's peppermint is my favorite). Insects do not develop tolerance to being slowly suffocated as the soap dries on them! I spray just before "lights out" and leave the fan running. The next day, I just rinse the plants off with warm water. The soap will be broken down by soil bacteria into ferts for your plants! You DO have to repeat every 3rd day for a while, so... Spray day, rinse day, rest day, and back to spray day!

How well insecticidal soaps work depends on how well you wet down your plant!

Granny[/quote]

Hey thanks for the link and the advice granny. if it turns out I do have mites this will save me from searching on what to do. :) really hope I don't though

6. I just caught em' and got rid of em'.
    I went to lowes, got a 1 gallon sprayer and also some neem oil.
    Mix according to the directions on the bottle of neem.
    Spray the whole grow on the underside of the leaves. You must spray from the bottom up, the little bastards hide on the bottom. Complete coverage is a must.
    Do this every 3 -- 4 days for 2 weeks. Problem solved.
    After you cut, bomb the tent to be safe.

7. either kill everything, sanitize and start over.

or start a pest control regiment

I use Azamax , spinocid (Captn. Jacks dead bug), and this new stuff Mighty Wash.

I use the Capt. jacks every 3-4 days
    AzaMax every 7 days

and do this for 2-3 weeks.. if persistent, repeat.

still working on a Mighty Wash schedule ( not really looking to get infected again ..) but it is supposed to be harvest day safe.

Wharf

8. best way to rid plant of spidermites is in reality making up a bucket of neem oil or anyother type of spider mite killer and totally dump plant upside down into it spraying your plants you just never get rid of them i dont care what anyone says you need to actually drown them
    also on note from above pics you got way to much heat going on in there also start of either lock out of some nutrient give them a good feeding making sure ph is in check
    good luck