Spider mites HELP ( ;

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by CatsLoveAcid, Aug 15, 2021.

1. Have you sprayed anything at all yet? Just curious,!keep us updated.

• Like Like x 2
  2. No spray for 3 days so far. The mites are knocked down to just a few lightly stippled leaves, but they keep coming back if I don't spray every three days. Hoping the ladybugs can keep them at this level or wipe em out without all that spraying. (Been spraying Dr bronners peppermint at 2.5 Tbsp/gallon)

• Like Like x 2
  3. They are reproducing. Giggity. IMG_20210904_114656050_MP.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  4. So you only spray dr bronners? I’ve been switching between neem oil/bronners and spinosad

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bronners and every once in a while SNS 217C. Supposed to kill the eggs too

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. 5 days no spray. I see no inflation of the mite population so far. I let loose another 1500 in the middle of a big plant with some light stippling. (Saved them for a follow up in a spot that needed it) So far no webs appearing. I'm starting to feel optimistic about the ladybugs. Once some larvae start running around, we'll really be in business. IMG_20210905_105727695.jpg

7. They call it IPM for a reason.
    M stands for management , and that’s all I really strive for.
    Ever wonder why they didn’t call it IPE? Eradication isn’t really necessary and in a large grow could be an effort in futility :bang:

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. I can say from past experience, with 100% certainty, that spike lavender (Lavandula Latifolia) makes spider mite eggs literally explode. I have verified this with a 400x microscope.

Look here for foliar mix/application rates, I don't remember any of them off hand, it's been so long...

Search Results for Query: spike lavender | Grasscity Forums - The #1 Marijuana Community Online

Here's a good source. I would not mix it with a whole lot of other stuff. Best to alternate lavender application days with whatever else your doing. Do what you need to to properly emulsify the essential oil, but no "extras".

Liberty Natural Products - The Essential Oil Source

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Nice! Grabbed a vial at the health food store. Way cheaper than SNS 217c. 1.5 tsp/gallon is the application rate I found. Thanks!

• Like Like x 2
  10. I just want to add that I'm unsure as to what effect the lavender might have on your new garden guests (lady bugs).

Institute it's use with care.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Hmmm... I also use lavender, I’ll have to check and see if it is the same species tho.
    I like to alternate my combos of neem and other oils. Usually I mix two together but neem is always in there. Usually I go with 1 tsp neem and 1/4-1/2 tsp of either Thyme, Dill, peppermint, or lavender. I use about 6-8 soapnut shells to emulsify a two gallon batch, mixing it all into lukewarm water in a blender for a minute or so.
    Imma gonna check and see what lavender I have. I’ll give it a go with a full strength solution. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. I'd also like to add that when battling garden pests, it's really important to correctly identify the pest in question, understand it's reproductive life cycle, and to also understand which organic remedies result in the highest mortality rates during the various stages of the pest's life. It isn't enough to implement a strategy that's focused on eliminating the adults. The bug's life cycle has to be interrupted.

Spider mites are a perfect example.

The active ingredient in cold pressed neem oil (no substitutes, no derivatives!) is azadirachtin. This chemical is highly effective at killing adult spider mites, but does nothing to spider mite eggs.

My memory's a bit fuzzy on this, so don't quote me...

I believe that the chemical in spike lavender (lavandula latifolia) responsible for exploding spider mite eggs is camphor. l. angustifolia, for example, does not contain camphor. Assuming my memory is accurate here, the camphor in spike lavender causes spider mite eggs to explode, but does nothing to spider mite adults.

Alternating applications of cold pressed neem oil and l. latifolia breaks the reproductive life cycle of the spider mite, and is far more effective towards eliminating the problem, rather than controlling it by applying just one, or the other.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Years ago I had a single auto growing in my cupboard. It's the only time I ever had mites but I beat them with a water spray bottle knocking them off leaves, they didn't stick around with my constantly wet plant.

• Like Like x 1
  14. 7 days no spray. After a week observing the mites and the ladybugs, I have some comments.

1. Ladybugs will not rampage through a bad mite infestation and eat all the mites. They will march all over eating mites and trampling webs, but they will not defeat or significantly slow down a bad mite infestation.

2. If you have mites under control but not eradicated, Ladybugs will significantly slow down the mite population growth.

It is my tentative conclusion that ladybugs are useful in controlling mites if you have barely any mites and don't want to spray your flowers with anything. Not a panacea but I think ladybugs are another weapon in the good fight against the Borg.

Will report if my findings change. Has only been a week.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Did a spot shot with Dr bronners. Just the plants showing some stipples. Didn't seem to bother the ladybugs much.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Are you seeing any LB feces? Seems like a ton of bug life in there that is large enough to leave behind a substantial amount of poop?:unsure:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Not so far. Would be on the leaves mostly anyway I figure

• Like Like x 1
  18. Why word you say that. Seriously. Can you explain?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

19. Wonder if they meant if it got on the buds?