Spider mites HELP ( ;

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by CatsLoveAcid, Aug 15, 2021.

1. #1 CatsLoveAcid, Aug 15, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    So I have an issue. I used spinosad a few times, and am going to use neem oil tomorrow. Inhave ahimsa neem oil, but it’s been sitting in my fridge fir a few years. I smelled it and it just smells like strong neem. I was going to use that and Dr bonners, anything else I should do?

Use a vacuum? Damn.I read some people use stuff called nukem, but i’d rather not…. but would.

2. Never had them ty Lord! Must be the desert! So predator bugs are the best way! They are the worst from what I've seen! One bug that u can't live with in ur grow! Say aphids u can live with!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wow, that sucks. I believe Nukem is just citric acid in water. I've never had them either. It's a shame you had the neem oil and didn't use it as part of your IPM. I'd also suggest adding Si to your IPM program. I occasionally use a product made by EVERGREEN that is a pyrethrum concentrate that will kill just about anything that moves or flies.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Vacuum the worst parts. Cut out the visibly damaged parts. All of them. Spray 2 Tbsp of Dr bronners soap to a gallon of water. Every 3 days. You have to keep on them because the eggs keep hatching. Once they're almost all gone, hit them with SNS 217c. That kills the eggs too.

Battling them in my indoor buildings. They came with the buildings.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ladybugs will rid your grow room of spider mites overnight. You can get them, cheap, on Amazon. You may need to repeat it once or twice but they will solve your spider mite problem. They did for me a few years ago.

• Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Don’t smoke any part of your plant that has been treated with neem oil. Bad idea

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. It’s in veg still, or flipping for like a month or so.. going into a 4x4 bed, was supposed to transplant friday but found this fuck. They did some damage, my fault.

So I’m thinking i’m going to try and buy cheaper predatory insects, dr bonners and ahimsa neem oil… It’ll take a little for the predatory to come in but everything else I got. I’m going to vacuum and trim bad parts, then spray the shit out of them?

Can I spray every night with something or? Thanks guys, moved to a new house and grow is in the basement. Never seen these before

8. Spinosad doesn't work worth a shit on spider mites. Imo your best bet is to take a shot glass, mix 1tsp of pro-tekt and 1 tsp of neem oil per gallon of water. Mix until it turns opaque, add to tepid water that preferably has a surfactant of some sort (dr. bronners, aloe, yucca, etc). Shake the shit out of it, and spray immediately at lights out. Do this three times, each spray three days apart. Make sure you spray the top and bottom of every leaf, and make sure you deleaf your plants getting rid of any dead or unneeded leaves before you spray.

P-

• Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. The spinosad seems like it was working TBH, but i’m going to spray Ahimsa neem oil, Dr bonners tonight. Ran out of silica. I have aloe from buildasoil but it turned all hard, the package they give you zipper sucks.
    What predatory insects would you get? I’d feel better having some lurking around my room.

• Like Like x 1
  10. More than likely the spinosad is knocking them off more than anything, but if it's working cool. The silica is used to emulsify the neem. If you don't have any, I would make sure your neem and water are warm, add plenty of your surfactant of choice and shake the shit out of it. To quote Coot, if the aloe is hard, "get a mirror, a razor blade and go bolivian on it" lol.

Edit: Predator mites, Persimilis for an immediate infestation, and then I like californicus or cucumeris for secondary clean up after the outbreak is under control.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. I'm going to try ladybugs now that I have them on the ropes. I guess they eat mites if there's nothing else around. Will report.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. I promise you, ladybugs are not the way to go for this situation. If you are looking for scavengers to pick off remaining spider mites you would want to look at something like californicus or cucumeris. Ladybugs are most effective in high aphid population situations. Not good for much else. And if there is not a lot of food, they will just fly away (or worse, get caught in your lights).

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Right on. Somebody said they'd eat spider mites if there was not much else to eat and nowhere to go. I'm going to try it and report back.

• Like Like x 3
  14. https://animals.net/ladybug/

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. I think you will be a lot happier purchasing persimilis for a mite infestation, but please let us know what your experience is with the lady bugs.

@TimJ That's pretty cool! I didn't know they were named after the virgin Mary.

P-

• Like Like x 2
  16. Being in veg still means you can push through. It also means you are at an easy point to restart. You must assess accordingly.

Hitting 3 times with 3 day breaks with your mix of Dr. Bronner's and neem oil shouldn't be too hard on your plants and it will break the life cycle of the mites. The thorough coating will not kill anything significant, but it will ruin their ability to reproduce.The two follow-up doses makes sure that any eggs that survved in the soil twon't be able to reproduce either.

The other option is to cut your losses now and restart. You can apply the same spray regimen as prescribed above, but instead only do it once a week as a maintenance item. Stop spraying by week 2 of the flip at the latest. That tends to make for a trouble-free trip through flower.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Ok sweet. I’ve wanted to transplant these for over a week now, they really need it and I hate being in too small of pots (like 4 gallon.) A few are like 3 feet tall and bushy, so want to push through.

I’m kinda just doing whatever, but would like a better regime.
    1. I’ll spray neem oil/Dr Bonners every three days for a bit
    2. Buying predatory mites after work tomorrow, any suggestions? Patanjali said “If you are looking for scavengers to pick off remaining spider mites you would want to look at something like californicus or cucumeris.”
    3. And lastly, is it cool if I transplant now into my 4x4?I’m sure it’ll be smooth sailing once I do.

• Like Like x 1
  18. #19 Patanjali, Aug 23, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
    Lady bugs will not rid anyone of spider mites over night. Sorry, but been there done that, and I'm calling bs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  19. hydrogen peroxide and water , 1part of 3% h2o2 with 3parts h2o has worked for me in the past.
    It doesn't leave any residues either .
    Isopropyl alcohol is good too if you don't have tricomes yet.

• Disagree Disagree x 1