Spider Mites and Thrips ahhh!!!

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by ketchup blunt, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Hey guys, well i have eight unknown strain plants going and we diagnosed awhile ago that they had thrips. we have managed to keep this under control. The plants probably only have 3 maybe 4 weeks left until harvest (in other words they are in the advanced stages of flowering). Today i go in and i see these new bugs that aren't thrips upon further observation i see webs on some of the leaves. Spidermites! What can i do so that my plants don't get to messed up. anything safe for flowering plants? Any help would be greatly appreciated! This is my first grow and everything was fine until now ahhh.

2. since you have 3 weeks to a month left in the cycle, you can safely use Neem oil, it beaks down biologically by exposure to sunlight, wind and humidity with no adverse effects to you or the environment

neem oil add 4 -5 drops of dishsoap spray the plants undersides of leaves in particular
    till they are dripping.....spray every 3 days for 9-12 days

3. Does this still apply if growing indoors? and where do you get neem oil?

4. If ya' don't want to add anything at all to the buds you have worked for..... Fight bugs with MEANER bugs :bongin:

Products & Pricing
    Mites
    Click here for general information on mites
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=150>[​IMG]</TD><TD>Cali Predatory Mites, Neoseiulus californicusCali Predatory Mites, Neoseiulus californicus, are effective predators of spider mites, eriophyid mites, and persea mites in avocados, strawberries, grapes, corn, cotton, and ornamental plants. These mites are commonly used in greenhouses and does well in costal, California weather. The Cali Predatory Mite can tolerate low humidity and temperatures up to 105F and are resistant to some commonly used pesticides and fungicides. Best to release predatory mites (2,500-5,000 acre) early in the growing season before the pest mite density is too high. More Info...
    Cost: $12/1,000 predatory mites (volume discount available when 250,000 + mites are ordered)
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Western Predatory Mite, Galendromus occidentalisThe Western Predatory Mite, Galendromus occidentalis, is an effective predator of spider mites (including the Two-spotted, Pacific and Willamette spider mites) and eriophyid mites in deciduous fruit trees (almonds and walnuts), grapes, corn, cotton, and ornamental plants. Commonly used in dry, inland valleys, the Western Predatory Mite can tolerate temperatures up to 120F. These mites are also resistant to some commonly used pesticides and fungicides. Best to release predatory mites (2,500-5,000 acre) early in the growing season before the pest mite density is too high. More Info...
    Cost: $12/1,000 predatory mites (volume discount available when 250,000 + mites are ordered)

<HR noShade SIZE=1>Beneficial Insects
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=150>[​IMG]</TD><TD>Spider Mite Destroyer, Stethorus punctipesThe Spider Mite Destroyer, Stethorus punctipes, is a beneficial insect that consumes large numbers of pest mites where the pest density is high. This mite destroyer will predate upon two-spotted, pacific and spruce spider mites; European and southern red mites in almonds, fruit orchards, cucumbers, peppers, and hydroponics. These good beetles prefer plant leaves that are not hairy and will also feed upon other small arthropod eggs, aphids, nectar, and pollen. Must be 2 – 5 active pest mites per leaf to keep the spider mite destroyers in an area. More Info...
    Cost: $30/100 adult beetles
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=150>[​IMG]</TD><TD>Parasitoid, Goniozus legneriThe Parasitoid, Goniozus legneri, is a tiny wasp that stings the Navel Orangeworm (NOW) causing the eventual death of NOW caterpillars. Parasitoid wasps can be used in almonds, walnuts, coral trees, dates, loquats, pecans, pistachios, prunes, etc. Ideal temperature for releasing Parasitoid wasps is 70 to 90F at 1,000 wasps/acre. More Info...
    Cost: $34/1,000 wasps
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=150>[​IMG]</TD><TD>Six-spotted Thrips, Scolothrips sexmaculatusSix-spotted Thrips, Scolothrips sexmaculatus, are predatory thrips that consume European red mites, cyclamen mites, and spider mites. These thrips can be identified from pest thrips by three dark spots on each wing cover. Six-spotted Thrips are used on grapes, almonds, and stone fruits in San Joaquin Valley and North coast CA. They work well at temperatures >90F at 1,000 to 2,000 thrips/acre. More Info...
    Cost: $45/1,000
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=150>[​IMG]</TD><TD>Mealybug Destroyer, Cryptolaemus montrouzieri
    The Mealybug Destroyer, Cryptolaemus montrouzier, is a small ladybird beetle that consumes mealybugs including grape, citrus, long-tailed, obscure and affinis. We are currently researching the Mealybug Destroyer's potential to predate upon vine Mealybug, also. Adults and larvae of the Mealybug Destroyers eat all life stages of the mealybugs. Release rate is 500 – 1,000/acre. More Info...
    Cost: $17/100 Adults; $425/5,000 Adults

<HR noShade SIZE=1>Other Products

5. if you have bugs .....you apply

hydro shops, garden centers, ebay, google

6. personally I dont like any bugs "in da house" adding more bugs isnt a sure thing

But if you choose to get predators.....becarefull they dont all die an hour after you release them, from your treatments of previous insect issues..... :confused:

7. Very helpful info guys : ) + rep

8. This was his first grow I assumed we working with a "Uncontaminated" grow area....don't use the bugs if you have already sprayed.

The wasps work well just watch temp and Humidity..for the strain ya' git' :smoking:

9. Hey guys thanks for all the info, I'll try some neem oil to start with. i don't really like the idea of putting more bugs into my grow room as its in a house and don't want bugs everywhere :eek:...Does anyone know if this product is safe to use on flowering plants. The infestation is pretty bad so quick reply would be good so i can get the stuff today. :)
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/p...older_id=1408474396673076&bmUID=1184946973021

10. neem oil can be used on vegetable up to the day of harvest ..it breaks down fast and is safe..although I dont go that far I stop using the last 2

11. Hey guys thanks for the replies, i bought a big bottle of neem oil foliar i think its called for $10.00, hopefully this does the trick :p wish my babies luck lol.

Also, my next grow is going to be feminized medusa from almighty seeds and i really don't want anything to happen to them (the seeds were $200 lol) so how would you recommend to get the bugs out of the grow room for good. and also would you recommend spraying with neem oil from the beginning to ensure that infestation doesn't occur again? again thanks for the replies. :smoke:

12. Bug Bomb.....3 times "Hot Bombs" the kind you add water to to set off the reaction....Smoke not Spray

Bomb room or room box is in put all house plants in there too ....under a table so only "Fog" hits them.

Paint grow room (or box) with flat white paint
    Bomb again.....paint Room or Box again
    Bomb again.....now git' to growin'
    :bongin: