SpeedDemons newbie grow journal (1st one ever)

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by SpeedDemon4, Feb 20, 2016.

1. #1 SpeedDemon4, Feb 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2016
    Whats up guys!?! I hope y'all are ready to answer more questions than ever, your ears might be bleeding by the time this grow is over! I am finally ready to start my first grow journal after months of talking about it. Getting the environment set up took a lot longer than planned due to many hiccups along the way, but it has taught me patience and allowed me to read a lot on the subject. In fact it has taken time away from my studies and I will need to learn how to manage my new hobby with school and work. Anyways on to the good stuff.
    I am in a 4x4x8 gorilla tent set up in the garage. I am using a Black Dog PhytoMax 1000 for my light source. I decided to try several different pots (Smart pots, Geopot black and tan (velco trans-planter and Geopots with handles) for my first time and so far I really like the tan Geopots. They have handles, feel very well constructed and I can see the moisture through the cloth. Time will tell on if the pot makes a difference. My grow method will be No-till in a soil I mixed and they are on SIPs because I travel quite sporadically.
    The purple OG looks rough due to a botched transplant. I am unsure if she will make it.
    I will also be growing different types of peppers, and will eventually move them outside when it warms up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Amnesia Hash Plant #1
    [​IMG]
    Amnesia Hash Plant #2
    [​IMG]
    Purple OG
    [​IMG]
    Hash Skunk
    [​IMG]
    Peppers, Mint and Aloe
    [​IMG]
    Please let me know if you see anything obvious that needs to be changed. Thanks for checking out my first grow journal!

• Like Like x 1
  2. The light is now sitting 28 inches away from the top of the tallest plant. I think this week has really been about the plants getting adjusted to the new light. It looks like the seedlings who were born under the light have been growing at a faster pace. This is what the temperature readings are at the soil level.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Now on to the fun stuff

Hash skunk. I "tied" her down by slipping her undernath the Geopot handle. Whole new level of lazy?
    [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Purple OG. I think I am about to call it quits with her. I think too many changes too fast while she was trying to heal.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Amnesia Hash Plant #1. I bent her her over and tried the pinch technique in order to get the lower growth more light.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Amnesia Hash Plant #2. I bent her her over and tried the pinch technique in order to get the lower growth more light. She seems to be responding much better to it.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Lavender Kush # 1,2 and 3. One of these (hopefully girls) will take the place of the Purple OG.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

One thing I have noticed on all three of the clones is that the stocks are getting much heartier then they were at the beginning of the week. It is much more difficult to pinch and bend them now.

3. And if anybody is interested in the peppers and mint growing.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

I had to take the aloe out of the tent. She was starting to show some major sunburn. I am not sure if I should try and adjust her slowly or leave her on a windowsill. I didn't get pictures of her, but if anybody wants to see I can go snap some.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Looking good, except for that poor POG. [​IMG]

5. #5 queefer madness, Feb 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2016
    Looking sweet! what are you using for soil?

6. good start. I like your plans for adding peppers too. :)

7. Today was a fun day, I went out to Washington and picked up
    a pound of European Night Crawlers and a pound of Red Wigglers. I want to give
    a big shout out to Doug at NorthWest Red worms. He built me a beautiful worm
    bin, and the wife even loved it.

[​IMG][/IMG]

This is the inside, the screen is for horizontal migration
    that is suppose o make harvesting worm castings easier. I built their bedding
    with dead leaves and barley straw.

[​IMG][/IMG]

The worms were then added and fed with some micro greens
    that I got from the farmers market a couple of weekends ago. Then another thin
    layer of straw was added. I hope they thrive and I don"t kill them right away.

[​IMG],http://i.imgur.com/wA2Epnq.jpg?1[/img][/IMG]

Clover cover crop seeds and worms were also added to the no
    tills, along with a layer of mulch. I did not like how dry the top of the /soil
    got and the light killed my broccoli/lettuce in the no tills.

[​IMG],http://i.imgur.com/2mgQTfK.jpg?1[/img][/IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2

8. I am using white lightning by dean innovations and it is heavily amended. If you want me to go into more detail let me know!

9. Sure id love to hear the ingredients.

10. Update time!!

I made a few observations in the grow room today, that I am hoping y’all can chime in on.

My big concern is that the light is too close for the environment I am trying to set up. I went to feel the mulch, and it is dry as can be. I peeled it back and the soil seemed dry until I hit the six inch depth mark. I sprayed down the mulch with a spray bottle and added water to the SIPS. They each took 2 gallons except for the one without a plant in it, it took about one.

As mentioned earlier the light killed my broccoli, it immediately bleached them out and they died. I am noticing what is looking like blisters? On my sunflowers. I have also noticed that I don’t seem to be getting any vertical growth, just growing bushy. I raised my lights about 4 inches today.

Hash Skunk

[​IMG]

Only leaf that is damaged on the Hash Skunk.

[​IMG]

Sunflower in same pot as Hash Skunk, you can start to see blistering.

[​IMG]

Sunflower in empty pot. “Blistering” is the worst on this one

[​IMG]

Lavender Kush 1 (Even the sunflower seems to be growing bushy. I will probably need to kill them off soon as it is only a 1 gallon pot. There are 3 currently growing in there)

[​IMG]

Lavender Kush 2

[​IMG]

Lavender Kush 3

[​IMG]

Amnesia Hash Plant #1

[​IMG]

Amnesia Hash Plant #2

[​IMG]

Mint(bottom was directly under light, while top was not)

[​IMG]

Peppers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overview :D

[​IMG]

Please ignore the blurry pics. Somehow some dog slobber got on lens.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Base of white lightning. White Lightning contains worm castings, mycorrhizal fungi, mineral dust, topsoil, fruit and veggie compost, dairy manure compost, mushroom compost, river sand and horticultural pumice.
    EWC
    Peat Moss
    Biochar
    Lava rock
    Green sand
    Crustacean meal
    Oyster shell
    Bat guano
    Glacier rock dust
    Neem and karanja meal
    Kelp meal

• Like Like x 1
  12. It that time again! Since the last update, I have brought three Sarrencia and a “the purple” clone into the grow room. Huge thanks to Flyin1420 for the clone! I also gave the plants their first shot of ACT. The cannabis did great with it, but the peppers didn’t seem to like it too much.

I was comparing the mint plants last night and one looked sick. The bottom eaves were becoming super oily and purple. It also had not taken off like the other one that I brought into the tent at the same time. I noticed that it had an aphid infestation, and then confirmed that they were on the other mint plant as well. Neither one of them smell quite right either, could this be caused by the aphids? Another big shout out to MoorlandMoss for bringing me ladybugs and his soil to try. They immediately went to work; I am hoping that they will knock out the aphids.

The three Lavender Kush plants were fimmed, their growth is really coming along nicely.

I had MM over to check how I was doing. There are a couple concerns that I need to attend to and give them a good trim. The first concern is that the top of the soil is still too dry. Even with the mulch layer, I cannot keep it moist. I plan to add more straw too it, then covering t with a wood mulch layer.

The other concern was that my SIP might be too deep? Flyin1420, am hoping that you can chime in on this?

Anyway, enough of the wall of text, on to the fun stuff :D

Hash Skunk and the Ladybug going to work!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The Purple(Today is he fist day I have seen her loving life. I think the shock from the transplant and new environment have worn off)

[​IMG]

Amnesia Hash Plant #1

[​IMG]

Amnesia Hash Plant #2

[​IMG]

Lavender Kush #1

[​IMG]

Lavender Kush #2

[​IMG]

Lavender Kush #3

[​IMG]

Mint with vigorous growth

[​IMG]

Sick Mint (Ladybugs are stacked three high. I found this kind of odd.)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Peppers

[​IMG]

Butterwort (Fungus gnat killing machine)

[​IMG]

Tropical Sundew

[​IMG]

Venus flytrap

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  13. So this week has been a lot of learning for me. I have had an attack of aphids, fungus gnats and spider mites. I took each one a step at a time and I think I am almost in the clear. Here is what I have done.

Aphids: My friend brought me some ladybugs and they went to work quickly. In about two days it looked like the aphid population was totally wiped out.

Spider mites: I went with a three-step attack on this one. The first thing I did was get 5 gallons of an aerated compost tea going with EWC, my soil and compost that my friend gave me to try. I let this brew for 24 hours and only got a thin layer of foam. I laid down neem meal and karanja meal then topped it with a thick layer of EWC. I then sprayed the plants down with a Chapin sprayer. I used 2 Gallons of water, ¼ teaspoon of aloe, 2 tbsp of Karanja oil and 5ml of an agsil solution. I then filled the ACT back up with water and let it brew for about 70 hours while I went to Lincoln City. When I came back the foam was overflowing the bucket and had a really weird consistency to it. I watered everyone with the remaining 5 gallons and did another 2 gallon spray with the Chapin.

I have also been running an ultrasonic humidifier mixed with an essential oil blend, agsil solution, vegetable glycerin and water for two hours every day at lights off. This has had a very interesting effect on the plants; they all seem to enjoy it. When I turn the leaves over now I may spot a spider mite but upon further inspection they are dead. I will continue to run the humidifier for the remainder of this week.

Fungus gnats: While I did my last Chapin spray I laid down a layer of diatomaceous earth then covered it up with a new layer of wood mulch.

Amnesia Hash Plant #1 – The tips on both amnesia hash plants burnt pretty bad after my tea. I did not see the same effect on the other plants.

[​IMG]

Amnesia Hash Plant #2

[​IMG]

Hash Skunk - I have been having problems getting her to bush out like the others

[​IMG]

The Purple

[​IMG]

Lavender Kush #1

[​IMG]

Lavender Kush #2 – SRG here is a pic of the node spacing I am getting

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Lavender Kush #3

[​IMG]

Mint – the “sick” one has a bunch of new growth and is looking much better

[​IMG]

Peppers

[​IMG]

Overview

[​IMG]

Macro of the Butterwort
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hey SpeedDemons (we have the same initials haha!) :wave:

really nice setup you got there mate! girls are looking happy in there so looks like you are doing well.
    sucks about the aphids man, you want to be diligent and thorough with battling them. check the spider mite thread if you haven't already, aphids have been discussed as well. oh and never bring plants from outside (including from nurseries) cause thats a great way to bring in baddies like aphids. you are much better off starting any companion planting from seeds.

i have this in my notes, sorry i don't remember who wrote it though, maybe it can help you:
    oh and you should get yourself some gardening velcro. it sticks to fabric pots so its very easy to use for training plants with, and you wont have to cut the handle of the pot if you want to move things around later.

also i would get that LED as high up as you can, 1000w LED is a lot for a 4x4 IMHO. i run a 300w illumitex panel in my 3x4 with great results. could be the cause of bleaching you see. id also be concerned about your girls when they start flowering and get taller. just keep an eye on it. maybe a lot of LST or SCROG to keep the canopy low.

peace! :apache:

15. Thank you for all the comments! Every time I lurk and read a thread you have been in it throws me off lol. Wait a minute I didn't post there, oh it was ScoobyDoobie!!

The aphids looked like they were contained to the mint plants. I have been checking everyday and hasn't seen anymore since the ladybugs and the sprays.

I did check the spider mite thread and that is where I got the idea for the humidifier. I have been checking and haven't seen any adults after the last spray. I will continue to run the humidifier until I am certain they are gone.

I seem to still have a problem with fungus gnats. They have been there since the beginning and I just can't seem to beat them. I will go get some sticky traps today and see if that helps.

I also will no longer bring in any plants and will be using seeds from here on out. I actually just got some Velcro in the mail and will be trying it out in the next few days. I have been keeping a close eye on th LED and it seems fine for now. I have eight feet to work with in the tent and will continue to raise it. If I need more room I will pull the air filter out and use it outside the tent.

Again thanks for all the comments, really gave me some things to think about.

• Like Like x 1
  16. #16 SpeedDemon4, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
    Amnesia Hash Plant #1

[​IMG]

Amnesia Hash Plant #2

[​IMG]

The Purple

[​IMG]

Hash Skunk (I am very proud of this sunflower)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Butterwort (The other two Sarrencia will be coming out of the tent, and I will be getting another one of these. Absolutely love everything about the butterwort.)

[​IMG]

Lavender Kush #1 (Left)/Lavender Kush #2 (Right)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Lavender Kush #3

[​IMG]

Overview

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. The girls are doing great. I popped 3 of the lavender kush seeds SRG gave me and all 3 popped. 2 out of 3 were female. One is a super stretcher and the other stayed short and stout.

I have still been battling with fungus gnats. They seem to stay low near the soil and have adapted to anything I throw at them.

I have not used malt barley powder yet, so I am going to give this a shot by watering it in every seven days. I am also going to let the SIPs go completely dry and only top water for the next couple of weeks.

Today I top dressed with neem/karanja meal, malted barley powder and gypsum. I then watered this in with a aloe/agsil 16H watering at lights on. I will take more pictures tomorrow at the same time to see if there is a noticeable difference. I have found lady bug larvae in the tent and the plants look happy so I am not too stressed out at the moment. I seem to find new bugs in there everyday, it is crazy.

I will also be setting up a second tent and need to get my ventilation sorted. The temp in the tent is pretty much determined by the outside temp right now and I will need to start pulling in cooler air. I am hoping i can get this sorted next week and the tent set up.

On a sad note, I cooked all of my worms in the worm bin. I did not realize that the sun just bakes the box in the spot I had it, and they compost got way too hot. Mass murder ensued :(

Here is how the girls look after top feeding today.

OverView (Front)
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    (Right)
    [​IMG]
    (Left)
    [​IMG]
    AHP #1
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    AHP #2
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Hash Skunk
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    LK #1
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    LK #3
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The Purple (This may be a mystery strain and not the Purple. Stay tuned to find out)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Butterwort :)
    [​IMG]