speed of light

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by froggy, Dec 8, 2002.

1. No...once the light leaves the source it's now independent. For your theory...relativity...to be true, the light would have to take it's surrounding with it. What happens to light traveling from a spaceship traveling at .9C? Does something magical happen when it leaves the fast moving ship and enters the non moving space? Relativity doesn't work people...it's got serious flaws.

Photons DO have mass...they must to be affected by gravity.

Why? Why does it take infinate energy to accelerate something in a FRICTIONLESS space? It shouldn't...UNLESS there really IS an aether that light travels through...a kind of "air" for light waves to move through. Only it's so "light" that we can't "see" it with our instruments.

Just leave it at that...we DON'T KNOW what would happen. All we're doing is guessing...

I think all this mumbo jumbo about space time and warping are nothing more than trying to explain that which we can't actually measure. I think the real reason is something completely different. That "forces" and VERY tiny particles have an effect on "us" but we can't measure them because of their small size. It's like trying to explain the wind and not knowing about gasses/air. You can come up with a convoluted explanation...which is wrong, but will work.

We've been wrong before...and we're wrong now too...

2. well i thought about it and i'm not a man of science, but would the light start bending backwards or diffuse itself? like it you spilled water out of a moving car.

3. Alright, crazy thought right here. Right now, you are actually moving at the speed of light. Not sure if this makes sense but try to follow. When you are sitting on a plane "going 500 mph", are you actually moving at 500 mph? Well, yes, in relative to the ground below. But isn't the ground below moving at 500 mph backwards in relative to that plane above? For the people in the plane, they aren't moving at all, everything else is. Now imagine what how light feels. Light is staying still, everything around it, including you, is moving at the speed of light.

4. The light turns on, but it the light doesn't go any further than the source of the light itself. Meaning if you were laying on the hood of the bus looking over the edge at the headlight, you wouldn't see the light unless the bus slowed down. Or perhaps you would see the light for an instant but then you would catch up with the light and no longer see it or the light would only shine so far. At least that's my theory. Like if you were skydiving and threw a ball strait down, it would go down but it would stop after the wind resistance caught it and slowed it back down to terminal velocity.