speeches make my face turn red.

Discussion in 'General' started by stealthgrower, Aug 26, 2009.

1. ok i am a class clown, i love making people feel good, and being the center of attention. yet whenever i have to do something like give a speech, my face turns bright red. i have rosy cheeks already, but whenever i have to be the center of attention and it's not my choice i get incredibly red. i'm usually not even that nervous, i can do everything fine, but my face still turns very red which usually embarrasses me and makes it turn even more red (viscous cycle).

it's not really a big problem, but if there is a way i can help prevent it that would be awesome.

2. Do some hard drugs so your face rots away and is drained of colour and feature. Then you'll be good to go.

Well, you wouldn't be as funny. I do find angry meth addicts funny, however. Oh well.

How can we make you stop blushing? Uhm, take a deep breath every once in a while and don't maintain eye contact with one person. Just kinda stare out vacantly over the crowd.

Lol I'm so ripped rite naow.

3. Wow a class clown? I always hated those type of people they never k ow when to shut up, and once u get in college that doesint even exist

4. just because your class clown doesnt mean your a total douche. There are some decent people that are class clowns and not assholes.

5. the same thing happens to me and theres never anything i can do to stop it

it is a viscous cycle lol

6. Shit, same thing here man, just try blazing one day before. i would think that would solve it, i never tried it because i just get to paranoid. but it sounds like it would work

7. my high school life story.
    I just blazed every morning and my red-faceness during speeches went away..

dont maintain eye contact with anyone, just gaze around the room and give your speech..
    and dont think about it, it's all psychological.

8. My best advice to you if you want to learn how to control your red face is:

Find a way to give a lot of speeches. Join a debate team or *gasp* plays. You'll either get used to speaking in public or realize that you don't care if your face gets red. Some college professors will sweat a shit ton in front of the class, even after teaching for years and years. That doesn't stop them. Good luck.

9. practice public speaking more.
    youll get used to it and wont be nervous.

10. yeah i do purposely put my self in that situation as much as i can. i guess it's getting a little bit better, but i still get it pretty often. for example in one of my classes the teacher had people volunteer to stand up and say there name plus 2 truths and 1 lie. i decided to do it, just to put myself in that situation that is slightly out of my comfort zone, but not by much. my face turned super red. i don't care about it that much, but if i could change it by doing something simple i would. even if i never can change it, that's not gonna stop me from putting myself out there :)

11. like others have said, practice, practice, practice. also, theres a drug called propanolol that some musicians or public speakers use to help treat stage fright.

12. my face gets red and my hands noticibebly shake, and there is nothing I can do about it.

i won't tell you to do this, as it's probably the least responsible way to deal with public speaking anxiety...

but one speech I had to do I was so nervous about, I took .5 mg of xanax and drank a beer before class. I was still slightly nervous, but my hands didn't shake hardly at all, and I got an A on it :D

all I know is I have had to do tons and tons of speeches, and my anxiety level is still pretty bad every time. I am taking an oral comm class this semester so I will be doing speeches regularly this semester :eek::(

13. I too have to take a speech class this year, I get terribly nervous talking infront of people. I have pretty bad anxiety when it comes to that, and I start sweating like crazy. Last year I had to give a speech infront of my class and by the end of it my shirt was soaked. it sucks, but i'm hoping i can get over it and learn to be more comfortable talking infront of people.