Speculation of next gen systems specs

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by guyverman, Aug 9, 2009.

1. I think the Sony has a better chance to win the next console wars if they market the ps4 right. The consoles should be treated as a high performance computers, both 360 and ps3 technically are.

I believe the ps4 will have XDR2 ram options, maybe even up to 4GB, they are also going with the cell architecture because its the price to power is awesome, probably with alot more SPEs and prolly 8x or more PPEs, keeping the cell will also keep developers sane.

Its most definetiley gonna have some sort of eDRAM for the GPU like the 360, hopefully alot, and maybe even a small CBE to assist in AA and maybe shading.
    And they also need to give the GPU rights to Terra Soft to develop a fully functioning computer, that has an OS with access to everything.

The last thing that would be good is to strike up a partnership with WD to fit their tiny 500GB flash drives into them, eventually they will release 1.5 and even 2TB ones, with a read/write of something like 2ns - 20ns, alot better the 5400rpm ps3 hdd at about 3,000,000 ns.

PS4 has a better chance of winning the next wars because the cell is now cheap to produce, as well as the possible XDR2 RAM running at 8GHz and a possible small CBE to support the larrabee GPU they will most likely have. Not to mention blu-ray have been proven to maintain quality and practicality after adding up to 4 layers, with a possible 100GB over HD DVD tri layer that can only muster up 51GB with questionable quality after 3 layers and high costs.

Some numbers may be a bit off but they are close enough, the price may be around 1,000 - 1,300$ but it will be a VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, powerful computer, maybe even future proof with a patch for 4320P capability(definetiley has to hardware to display such resolutions.)

What are your guy's view on the possible next gen?

2. I'm sure they'll be fucking awesome systems...but i can't and prolly won't be abe to afford $1,300 for a system. The PS3 I have atm doesn't get much use (waiting on MVC2 though :hello:) at $60 a game. :(

3. Yea but it will be prolly 5 - 10 times faster than any other computer out, not to mention that supposedly SCE is trying a 32nm process for its next CBE in the ps4, they might even have an optional water cooling. Even at 2,000$ it would be a steal, they would also widen the possible software access to computer game developers that can code for linux.

4. Yea, no doubt it would be worth the money, I just don't have any to spend on it lol

5. Honestly guys, consoles will always shy in comparison to a gaming PC. Always.

6. Wrong, the CBE architecture allows alot of horsepower to be produced cheaply. And like I said, SCE is producing a potentially large CBE using a 32nm process. I'd say from looking at their past jumps in power, the ps4 will be nearly 8x more powerful than the ps3, maybe 8 PPEs, each of which have 8 SPEs. They could also use a 32nm 8 core CBE to either support the GPU or physics all the while still producing cheaper units than anything else close to that power.

7. This is true. All though consoles may try to take a huge jump in power, PC's are updating their technology constantly. With quadcores, The ability to do 8+ gbs of ram, the ever incoming solid state hard drives, and the continuation of companies like nvidia/ati making new video cards with amazing capabilities damn near every six months, PCs will always have the better specs. You've got to remember, when next gen consoles come, next gen computer parts come too.

8. Sony can attempt an insane jump in power with the CBE and for very cheap. The CBE was designed to crunch serious numbers just by adding more cores at low cost, ps3 may have 8 PPEs and 32-64 PPEs,done as 32nm,it would be an exponential jump in cpu power. Not to mention the possibility of XDR2 RAM at 8GHz with really low latentcy!!!!! The graphics card may even use some! They also have a SSD made by WD thats 500GB, soon to be 1TB and 2TB even. I think if ps4 is done right it can get ahead of computers for a long while, something like 2 years:D

9. #9 Agalloch, Aug 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2009
    Sony would be retarded to make the PS4. They should stick with handhelds. They really shine with the PSP.

Consoles are for those who don't want to spend an insane amount of money on a more powerful PC.

Notice how all the next gen games that are on all systems and PC. They look far better on the PC.

The next gen systems won't even be around til roughly 2015, and by then computer technology will have also greatly improved.

Consoles are getting too close to PC gaming, it's going to become a fine line perhaps, but PC's are still top notch. If I wanted to I could hook my PC up to my HDTV and play Crysis in HD.

Why would I need a console for anything?

10. I think Sony will take the Cell to the next level like you said. I don't know what they are going to do for the GFX card next generation as that was one of their sore points this one. I think that all systems will have some form of motion controll.

For Microsoft I could see them cutting a deal with intel to get their Larrabee project which is basically a multicore gpx card but don't know what they'll use as a proccessor.

I think that all systems except nintendo will have a blu-ray player.

Who knows what nintendo will do, they are sitting on a mountain of money and probably do whatever they want.

What I'm super interested in is the next generation of handhelds. I'll bet they'll have graphics at least as good as the 360/PS3 and have digital distrobution on all thier games. Who knows what else?

Ultimately I think Sony will be easier to program for next generation, Microsoft will make a more reliable machine next gen, and nintendo will bring something out of left field:p

11. If it gets to the point that you guys are predicting I would abandon console gaming and focus on PC only. IMO consoles dont need to be more powerful, I'm content with the current gen graphics and if they took a leap into better graphics they could be dancing around the uncanny valley which would not be good. Graphics dont even make the game so what is the point of making systems ridiculously advanced? Gears of war looks really nice but I'd rather play some older games like Majoras Mask or FF7 or even counter-strike because the gameplay and story blows gears of war out of the water.

12. I think this is far off, im seeing more of Christmas 2011, i read an article somewhere of Sony looking into technology which will be available in christmas 2010, but i think thats way too early.

13. I agree with agalloch. I've even read that most people believe the next generation will come about around 2015 since microsoft and sony will just make additions to the already existing consoles (360 elite, project natal) which will contribute to extending the lifespan of the consoles.

SKOAR! - The Xbox 360 Has A Life Span Till 2015

Pachter: This is the Last Console Generation: News from 1UP.com

14. I'm definitely more interested in the next gen hand held consoles. Those will definitely be as good as taking a xbox 360 and somehow modding it to be a portable.

15. sony and microsoft would be stupid to keep thieir systems out for another 6 years, and besides a almost 10 year stretch between the release and end is almost unheard of for consoles. Anyway, just think of how outdated the 360 and ps3 will be by even 2011, i mean come on they are already falling behind computers fast, if they keep them out for the next 6 years, they will be miles and miles behind PCs and probably lose alot of players.