Spectrum King Thread

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by m1kesta, May 27, 2015.

1. I stopped by Spectrum King yesterday as they are local to me and I've read some stuff here and there on the forums and on YT. 

I'm looking for actual users who have used this light in their grows and preferably have also used other comparable LED setups in the past. 

I'm looking at their 400 series (440w consumption) to use in a 4x4 or 5x5 grow tent. They claim that their full spectrum light output is better than the Red/Blue primary lights. I did see their grow setup and their assembly, everything looks top notch. 

Would just like some more actual user feedback before I take the plunge. 

2. I've seen their test videos and the plants they grew seemed to like the LED a lot!! even more than a 600W HPS! :p

The plasma light results were pretty funny too... haha

But I have yet to see anyone grow with it!

But just by the looks of it, it seems like a top notch, Efficient heat sink with heat pipes with a pretty big radiator portion of the heat sink. And the fact that they can even give you a BTU amount for cooling this light is good indications IMO. Huge reflector to concentrate the light.

I would realllyyyy like to get one!!

3. I've been doing a ton of research into the topic of LED's since they have always interested me. It turns out that they are still a long way from beating HID. There might be some decent ones that are over 3 grand per light but even then they might only barely beat HID.

As far as the Spectrum King 400 goes, I have found that Spectrum King in general it is one of the WORST choices out there. The coverage is dismal since it focuses the light into a beam which gives great penetration and horrible coverage. You will notice on ALL of their demonstrations they take intensity readings from the dead center of the light beam, the brightest part. Not one single time do they even show you a reading an inch outside the beam center. I have asked them to show the other readings to show it's coverage and they keep making more videos of them taking readings from the beam center. It's quite pathetic really since what this demonstrates is the light's ability to cover all of 1 square foot....... and nothing else. And the funny thing is they claim that it can flower a 5x5 as good as a 1000W HPS. They are so full of crap it's laughable. You can see in their test grows where they have the Spectrum King 400+ in a 5x5 full of plants, and most of the canopy looks like its under shade. It's no wonder they don't want to show you the readings from outside the beam because they're obviously really bad. So bad that you can clearly tell just by looking at the video. I highly doubt those test grows are legit too. There's no way that light is going to grow plants evenly on a 5x5. The light that it provides to the sides wouldn't even be enough for seedlings to grow properly let alone flowers. This is the type of light that would give you nightmares.

The only half decent LED I've come across is the Lumigrow 650 but I wouldn't buy it. The company claims that it can replace a 600W HPS and they say "some people are even replacing their 1000W HPS".
    First thing to note is that if it only replaces a 600W HPS then what's the point, the thing uses 650W and costs as more than 5 HPS systems combined. Totally useless overpriced garbage. If it could replace a 1000W HPS then it would be a different story. Unfortunately it can't. Not only can it not do that but it also can't properly replace a 600W HPS. It was tested by Monster Gardens () and it turns out that it only effectively covers a 3x3. That means that this light can only properly replace a 400W HPS so it's totally pointless.

There is the claim that LED's give you a higher quality harvest than HPS. But you can always use HPS and MH for flowering. I highly doubt that any LED's will give you a better quality of light than HPS and MH combined. Combining HPS with MH provides good yields too.

• Like Like x 1