Specific lighting and exhaust question for small setup

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by fatgrassman, Feb 11, 2013.

1. #1 fatgrassman, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2013
    First off, Hello to everyone!!! I've scanned here off and on and I finally decided to join everyone, so yaaa, lol, now to my question.

Tent - 2x4x6 Intending to grow 2 plants at a time this first go round.

Lighting - Seed thru Veg, 200 watt cfl, 5k (full spectrum) and it lists 12,000 Lumens.

Flower - I plan to use a 150watt hps and suppliment another 50/75 watts with cfls.

Would this light arrangement be ok for 2 plants?

Now, the exhaust question (s).

Noise is a concern from this process, I have youtubed lots of stuff and think I have settled for a 4inch vortec. My question is can I sound proof a cardboard box and set this fan in it? I'm concerned with cooling/venting issues doing this, but having a background in sound I can get the db's down to about 15/20 with my box setup........Will the fan still cool/breath and not overheat in a very not well vented box? My plan would be to put it in a box 2 to 3x's its size to allow for small venting holes. Also, do you guys run these fans 24/7 or only when it smells?

Ok, so after months of research, preparing and budgeting, these are my only 2 concerns as I'm trying to do the best I can on my VERY small budget, and I know it can work, I just can't afford trial/error with equipment at this point.

Thanks guys!!! I look forward to hearing everyone's opinions on my thoughts.

FGM

2. Can you not just upgrade to 400w . Rule of thumb: 150 w per plant. I use cfl for the germination stage, mh for veg, and HPS for flowering. I run 600 w on 4 plants. I'm just not sure how effective the cfl will be while running the HPS. Anytime you restrict airflow with a fan you run the risk of burning up the motor. It will absolutely shorten the life of the fan. Elaborate on your ventilation design and I can help. Anytime the light is on the fan should be on to keep it cooled. 85 degrees plus can cause heat stress

3. And you need a carbon filter to get rid of the smell

4. #4 fatgrassman, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2013
    Upgrading isn't possible right now. And the lights arn't a worry, however the q about the fan and soundproofing is my biggest concern at this point!

5. Has anyone any ideas or input on this for me?

6. Ok so if your going to hang your fan use rubber bunjies to absorb the vibration it will help. A 4 inch vortec once connected to some ducting should not be that loud. If you can spend the money and get a small carbon filter and attach it directly to the out flow of the fan. This also drowns some noise. But yes you can put your fan in a box as long as u have the ducting running through. I have done this to my own setup and it works fine. Beware of heat from the fan. Mine does not get hot so im sure your fine. Noise is always the issue with inline fans. But just be creative and you will work it out.

7. Also as far as your lights. For veg your fine. Flowering on the other hand you should have at least a 600 watt hps. Cheap on cl now days. You will suffer in yield and quality with only 150. But you will grow some buds and thats always a good thing.

8. If your only doing 2 plants that's 75 watts per plant that will be fine with a 150 hid you will have heatissues if you put a 600 in your tent even with a 4 inch fan are those only like 240 CFM it won't pull off enough heat if you can pipe cold air in then maybe

Sent from iPhone 5

9. I wouldn't use cardboard.

Try finding an old Igloo cooler to put it in.

10. UPDATE**

So I have found a 400 watt mh/hps setup for 135, comes with hangers, 1 mh bulb and 1 hps bulb and the reflector n ballast, all for $135 so that will be my light question answered. And the venting issuse TY FreeBorn for letting me know the fans can handle my idea!!!!!!

Everything is coming together nicely now and I'm freakin STOKED that I can afford a real light system:)

I'm 2 assume, that 2/3 plants on a 400 mh/hps system will give me "decent/average" yields?

Thanks again for all the help! Nice to have a place like this to come ask real people!

11. Oh yes you will get great yields if you can for flowering get a UV bulb it will increase trich production

Sent from iPhone 5