spearfishing

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by skoinkins, Dec 16, 2009.

1. #1 skoinkins, Dec 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2009
    i just went out for the first time this year and got a 25 and 26 inch northern pike both 3-4 pounds. it's pretty badass and i was wondering if anyone here at GC does it?

if you havn't tried it, check it out!
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59Ss6e9GjfU&feature=related]YouTube - Northern Pike Spearing # 3[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkFzdEYGLYQ&feature=related"]YouTube- Northern Pike Spearing # 2[/ame]

2. Lake spearfishing? havent tried that, but here on the west coast, summer through late fall provide awesome conditions to spearfish. visibilty can be greater than 30 feet in calm, small swell waters.

Down in La Jolla, San Diego, the kelp forest extends FAR beyond the environment protection zone, which you cannot fish in, since it is a sanctuary. huge bass, provide for an awesome warm up, to move on to the top fish :D

My buddy and I took out Hobie kayaks, foot pedal equipped, past the sanctuary zone, and caught us some 25+ pound yellowtail this season. we use slings for bottom fish, like halibut (its awesome to see their little beady eyes pokin out of the sand, just waiting to get speared)and rock fish. we use guns with 15-20 foot cables attached to our 2 ft spear tips to catch the tricky and super skiddish top fish.

FUCK seeing large sharks though, they love the smell of blood.

glad to see that other people enjoy spear fishing!

what rig do you use?

3. #3 skoinkins, Dec 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2009
    that sounds awesome man. here in MN, as you can see we are confined to the frozen lakes, we use an ice house to keep it dark so you can see in the water, and we use a sucker minnow as a "decoy". the northern will come up to either inspect or consume the decoy, the one i speared yesterday attacked our decoy and i had to pull the string the decoy was attached to back into the hole, the northern held on to the decoy for a good 5 or 6 seconds until i had an opportunity to stab him, they are a VERY agressive fish.
    it's really cool being up close to the northern and seeing how good of hunter it is, it's a totally different aspect of spearing, but i would love to try your style of spearing, minus the whole blood in the water and sharks thing. haha. after all i can only legally spear northern pike and rough fish, so there isn't really a variety. not to say i haven't tried to stab walleye or sunfish:devious:.

4. I'd love to try it, but never come across an opportunity.

Shouldn't this thread be in Great Outdoors?

5. i guess it should, i saw "nature" and thought it fit the catagory haha.

6. haha almost like shooting fish in a barrel! hahah thats awesome. instead of swimming around and diving, you sit and chill in a hut on a frozen lake, smoke blunts, and wait for a stupid fucker to come up and say hi!

:smoke:

Yeah my buddy has speared some illegal fish. have you heard of the Garibaldi fish? its cali's state fish, bright orange, huge ass forehead, chills near kelp or a rocky outcropping.

anyway, this gara swims up to my buddy, right in front of his mask, staring and making that very fucking stupid face fish make haha. its like this:eek: but they make it look way funnier i think, or obnoxious as my buddy thinks.

being his first time spearfishing and not knowing which fish to kill, he aims the sling at the fish and POOF, the water around his mask is littered with scales and blood, the poor thing stuck to his spear tip :(

I kicked it off (you put the spear face down between your flippers/fins on your feet and pull up quick, which kicks the fish off the spear) but the poor thing got hit in some vital areas. needless to say we left the place, and left the fish (bad karma I know).

Long story short, dont spear illegal shit, you will get caught one day and be heavily fined.

wow what a rant :p

7. haha, i use the same method to get my fish off the spear. it's not quite shooting fish in a barrell, if you get a deep spot and have to throw the spear more than 7 feet your odds go waaaay down. but i usually spear in 7 ft and only have to throw the spear about 3 or 4 ft so success rate is about 90% at this range...it's always a thrill when you've been staring in a hole for an hour and a half and a 20 pound northern shoots out of nowhere and latches on to your decoy chub. this happened to me last year and i almost soiled myself.
    you pretty much nailed it with smoking blunts in the house, then you gotta air it out tho, i had my great-uncle show up at the ice house twice last year, both times he just leaned in the house to talk and i could see all of our hot-box escaping right past his face:eek:.