Space

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by I Wayne, Jan 29, 2010.

1. I made up this theory a bit ago. You know how a long time ago where humans were stuck on continents before they broke apart. They had also thought the horizon was the end of the earth but they eventually discovered other continents. I think space travel and planet hopping is just another obstacle we will come across in the near future because we will advance.

Also I believe not many people have much attention paid towards space. But what do you guys think about space travel/UFOs/extraterrestrial beings etc ?

Toke on :smoking:

2. humans... and most species that are predatory, to me at least, seem as if they are fixated on the unknown. always scavenging for something better, the better catch, the better source of fire, the better way to survive and spread your seed and contribute to the gene pool.

with this nature, i think, as you said, the next obstacle for human expansion is space (duh!); theoretically there is practically an infinite (for an ever-expanding universe) amount of resources. that would be so cool to bhe able to jet over to mars to smoke a blunt with a homie :smoking:

3. LOL. It's funny how you say "I made up this theory" as if you are the first to think of this. Something tells me you haven't done a lot of research for yourself. In case you aren't aware, we already have travelled through space. It's not something in the 'near future', it's happening right now, and has been for decades. We know so much about the universe now and we are learning ever single day. If you are interested in this sort of thing then you should check out the popular documentary series 'THE UNIVERSE' on the history channel. Season 4 is coming out soon. The show talks in depth about discoveries that have been made about the universe lately. (speed of light, time warping, black holes, galaxies etc)

4. Yeah your right I'm sorry haha. I was just trying to get that out there

5. You're not alone in your thinking, OP. ;)

6. Man, sometimes I think space isn't even real, ya' know? Like, galaxies and all that shit. How do we know that shit's even out there for sure? I saw some documentary saying there are a bunch (i don't know the number) of galaxies out there we can't even see from earth. If we can't see them, how the fuck did we come up with the idea that they're out there? I dunno man it's crazy to think about.

But yeah, if space really is as big as scientists say, then i think there's gotta' be other life out there somewhere. I'm not to educated on the theories of space and what not or whatever, but it's interesting.

7. let me make a point with two slightly different statements :D

1 - there are tons of galaxies in the universe that cannot be seen.

2 - there are tons of galaxies in the universe that cannot be seen through earth's atmosphere, but are visible once the atmosphere is no longer obstructing one's view :smoking:

8. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dilKJ6uLCc8]YouTube - Mathmatical Proof of Advanced Civilizations?[/ame]

carl sagans take on life on other planets. i think theres atleast more life out there maybe its not intelligent or is thousands of years ahead of us in technology who knows. and to whoever said the galaxies arnt there, check out the hubble telescope's images they have images of galaxies from all across the universe there definitely there

9. ooohh, so like once we get out in space, that's how we know all those other galaxies really do exist? pretty cool.

10. #10 k_semler, Jan 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2010
    Correct. Our light horizon is 46.5 billion light years, while the universe is estimated to be "only" 13.7 billion years old. Which means that the universe its self is expanding FASTER then the speed of light. :eek: Also, we can only observe the galaxies which are on our side of the milky way galaxy. We cannot see the universe on the other side of our galaxy, (because it's in the way, duh), so the effective "observable" universe, (if our galaxy was not in the way), equals 93 billion light years in diameter.

Correct. Observing celestial bodies through the atmosphere has been compared to observing birds fly through the air while you're sitting at the bottom of a 12 foot deep pool of water. The interference caused by our atmosphere is what is responsible for the "twinkle" effect. Once outside of the atmosphere, stars do not twinkle.

What I'm wondering is why don't we put a huge radio telescope, and optical telescope on the dark side of the moon? There would be no electromagnetic interference from the earth, so we could monitor all bands of the radio spectrum. And there would be no light pollution from the earth regarding operation of the optical telescope.

11. i don't know exactly what that means, but it sounds like a good idea. someone call nasa.

12. Looking into space is looking back into the past.

13. money, till it costs a lot less per pound to send things into space the only thing you'll get is Hubble type things.

See:
    http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2010/15jan_ibex2.htm

14. looking into space is looking at the past, through the present :bongin:

15. Why don't we just put pressurized habitats underneath of the moon's surface? And while we are at it we can build a space elevator.

Removing rockets as our main transportation into and out of space will be a big step for space exploration. Imagine taking a day or two to slide up a carbon fiber rope to a space station. From this station you could propel yourself pretty easily to the moon, and once on the moon life becomes much easier.

Escaping the gravitational pull of the Earth is the hardest and most expensive part, so why not bypass it? Launching anything off of the moon will costs tons less than launching it off of the Earth. Return trips to Earth would almost be as simple as jumping off of the moon! Let gravity do the rest for you.

I seriously wish I was born 500 years into the future so I could be exploring space. If only...

16. no,looking into space is looking at the past, through the present into the future

17. If you head toward an object in space (that's omitting light) and you look close enough at the light you can watch the evolution of a object as you approach it.

Like heading toward a guy writing a book from a billion miles out, reading the book as you head towards him and by the time you get to him you've read the whole book up to where he's still writing the story.

18. You know the movie independence day when they say the aliens are like locus moving from planet to planet killing everything? Thats how I think we will become

19. Someone's stoneddd hahah. Well haven't many alien sightings already been seen ? So I don't think they're really after us, maybe just studying us ? The only thing I really want to happen before I die is for some astonishing discovery to be found outside earth. :(

20. Not to put a damper on the mood here but I do not think it will be possible for us to travel very far outside our solar system in any reasonable amount of time.

Human bodies can not handle the speeds you would need to move at to travel any great distances in space.

Basically Warp speed is impossible :(

I could be wrong about this but I am fairly sure.