Space travel rocket

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by pineconeplace, Feb 11, 2013.

1. For about a year ive had this image in my head that i would always sketch on my papers and think of how it would work. Its similar to a jet engine but it would allow rapid detonation of volatile gases and could be set to certain time spans between detonations of the gas(1-5 second delays or even less, longer span for slower speed). Ive designed the safety valves to be mechanical so theres little room for failure. If an accident did happen the main fuel tank would not be detonated. My theory is since it uses gases large amounts of fuel with minimal weight could be brought along. With more designing and planning i feel the engine would allow it to keep gaining more and more speed allowing high speeds in space but slow building up of the speed instead of a rapid intense change that would be needed to gain this. Multiple engines could be synced to mimic large detonations also. Although im lightyears away from being a space expert i really feel like this could be something. If not a space rocket then it would be an efficient engine for planes or even vehicles with modification. I dont want to give out too much information because idea thieves are notorious on the internet, although i will say it works like a blank firing cannon. Tell me what you think...

2. Anyone? This could be a technological breakthrough for travel...

3. Submit the design to NASA see what they say

4. Good idea, thanks i might start working on a small version

5. The idea of rapid detonation of volatile gases and could be set to certain time spans between detonations has already been considered. Im not sure what the rapid detonations consisted of but the idea itself has been tested already.

6. gas is less dense than liquid or solid so thats less mass to harvest energy from right?

7. " i feel the engine would allow it to keep gaining more and more speed allowing high speeds in space but slow building up of the speed instead of a rapid intense change that would be needed to gain this."

this part of your idea is already used. ion propulsion (specifically used on the Dawn spacecraft) basically uses Newton's second law, F=ma. Using an ion and a strong electric field the propulsion occurs because the electric field accelerates the ions. Small masses are accelerated greatly, giving the rest of the craft a force. This force is small, but over time the velocity is slowly accelerated to a very high amount.

8. Well, the fact that you are using a gas energy source vs. liquid vs. solid is a bit irrelevant. Any way you slice it, energy output will be the same. You can't get "equal energy" from less of something just because its in gaseous form. It will weigh less, but you will need more of it.

9. "A journey of thousand miles begins with a single step." --- Lao Tzu

The galactic travel might require a specially designed spaceship to travel thousands of miles, but the idea starts only inside your head.

I hope you make it to the stars one day.