Space Time Perspective

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by cjames136923, Sep 2, 2014.

1. If space and time are one in the same, and time is relative to the observer, then so is space.
    Some people say space time is a fabric, one that is distorted by mass.

Now this is where it gets tricky. If the fabric of space time is distorted and elongated by mass while also being relative to the observer then what we observe of space time is distorted due to all the mass in our solar system, as well as the rest of the milky way. With that being said, how likely is it that "space" is as large as we observe it to be.

But to the same point if space time is relative then to us space is infact as large as we believe it to be, that is untill we are away from the unbelievable amount of mass that is the milky way.

Space time is tricky and because of all the possible unknown unknowns our known unknowns seems infinitely small, that is to say there must be an infinite amount of things we don't know that we don't know.

Strange thoughts.

Sent from my HTCONE using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. just watch the matrix trilogy baked. Has all answers.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum:blaze:

3. All time really is is the rate of change in space. That's why they're all but one in the same. And yes, they'd both be relative. Pretty much every aspect of the universe is relative, from our place in the universe all the way down to your point of view watching TV compared to someone sitting right beside you.

Mobile mumbling..

4. #4 cjames136923, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2014
    Yes time is the rate of change in space, and both are distorted by gravity.

The way I was taught about space times distortion was this: Place a large towel over the opening of your laundry hamper. Then place a baseball in the center. The weight of the baseball will cause the towel to dip down in the center. This is how gravity effects space time. The more mass the more the fabric of space time is distorted. The larger the "dip" in space time the faster time goes by.

So that being said when we look out into space beyond our solar system our view is stretched and elongated. So our perception of space is skewed. I know this really does not mean much, considering the fact that most if not all of us will never travel outside our solar system, but I love pondering such subjects.

To another point: if gravity effects the rate of time and we are someday able to create a massive anti gravity system could we slow time down so much that we do not age? If massive amounts of gravity speed up time, then a void of mass and gravity should slow it down, but it could be that the reduction in time could only be observed by someone looking in, not out. By this I mean the individual in the anti gravity field would not perceive a change in the rate of time, only the individuals on the outside could perceive it as being slowed down. The same could be said for speeding up time, since it is all relative and a second will always be a second to the one counting it.

Strange space.

5. they aren't distorted by gravity. This is an illusion

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2010/feb/17/gravitys-effect-on-time-confirmed

Illusion it is not.

Our satellites revolving around earth, GPS satellites Ect., have internal clocks that prove the effect of gravity on time.

I don't recall the exact amount of change in time on these clocks but it is consistent among all man made satellites. I want to say the difference is about a second every year. Meaning time moves one second slower per year when revolving around earth in comparison to time on the surface.

7. Time dilation has more to do with the speed you're traveling through space. The faster you travel through space, the less time effects you. That's why astronauts age slower in space cause they're zooming through space faster than we are on Earth's surface. It's something like they only age 80 years in space for every 81 years on Earth. That's why its proposed that if you could travel through space at light speed, you won't age at all. Same thing would happen if you took 2 atomic clocks and put one on the ground and one 10 feet directly above it. That 10 will put it so its traveling faster through space than the one below it. Might take 1,000 years to see a second difference at 10 feet, but there would be one. Theoretically, if you live above someone in terms of elevation, you're aging a tid bit slower.

Mobile mumbling..

8. You misunderstand.

It is in fact an illusion

Things happen more slowly near high gravity. this gives the illusion of "slowed time" but time isn't real. It just goes on.

Space isn't effected either. Only "matter" is effected giving the illusion that space is bending

Wait, does the "mass" of an object distort spacetime, or "gravity"?

10. Here is another way of looking at it.

If you ads a catalyst to accelerate a reaction, you wouldn't claim that the catalyst is speeding up time.

Gravity

What, then, is "gravity", and how does it distort spacetime?

A force that attracts, or pulls, objects together?

12. I would if the reaction was an increase or decrease in the rate of time, again in comparison to the rate of time on the earths surface.

Without the catalyst if there is no change, but with it there is wouldn't you assumed one caused the other?

13. Gravity is just that, a force that attracts or pulls objects.

In this instance the gravity of earth, caused by its mass, pulls space time and the effect of this becomes weaker the farther you are from the surface.

A second is always a second to the person observing that second in time, that will never change. But the amount of seconds my watch counts can and will differ from the amount of seconds a watch would count while revolving around the earth.

14. #14 Boats And Hoes, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2014

Friend, I believe you missed his point.... at least, imo, that's how I see it.

For, the rate of motion of the object that is effected may speed up, that is, in relation to its prior state, but the rate at which the object moves, after it is accelerated or catalyzed, does not encompass the whole reality of time; and that's because such a phenomenon, i.e., the acceleration or catalyzing of a reaction, is merely a particular instance of the movement of an object (and effects only that, a particular object); that is to say, the particular rate of motion or speed of an object does not encompass (or effect) the whole reality of time... for time "goes on" regardless of particular phenomenon.

15. #15 Boats And Hoes, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2014

But the amount of seconds my watch counts can and will differ from the amount of seconds a watch would count while revolving around the earth.

That all depends.

How long is a second? And please don't say a second.

A second is always a second to the person observing that second in time, that will never change.

Well, if you start with the premise that time is relative, then my second cannot be tantamount with your second - in time; so, right off the bat, your bolded statement is objectionable (even by your own principles).

16. As I said previously. Gravity doesn't distort space and time. It distorts matter and speed, giving the illusion of bending space and time.

You can't bend space and.time aany.more than you can bend inches and pounds.

They are just measurements.

Gravity is am.attractive force like magnetism. If iI knew what caused it I'd be rich

17. that's sort of what I'm getting at.

You.need to define.time. its not a thing its a measurement.

If humans on earth watched.a.video of astronauts in space, it.may appear like time.is slower for them. Bit what is the difference between time being slower and.stuff being slower?

18. this Guy gets it

19. Anything in space is a thing of the past because of the Years it takes for Light to travel from that object to Earth, to our eyes. d=rt
    Distance is equal to rate times time, it takes time to move a distance, if time was frozen so would space:vise versa
    A difference is the metric: space is (1)
    Time is (-1)
    A really difficult concept that's diminishing my high😕